Thread: Small of Back Holster-Left Hand Holster for Right Hand?

Small of Back Holster-Left Hand Holster for Right Hand?

Is it common to use a left handed holster for a SOB holster if you're right handed?

I'm looking for a conceal carry holster for a Glock 19 with a paddle, as they seem to be the quickest to take on and off for me. Yes, I realize that IWB holsters on the right side are more concealable and comfortable sitting down and I have one but am considering a SOB holster as well.

Most of the SOB holsters I've seen have the butt facing up and the barrel facing left (towards left side of body). This looks like an unnatural way to reach a gun, not to mention the barrel is facing outward.

Seems like the most natural holster for someone right handed would be a left handed holster where the barrel is facing down and the butt is facing right side of the body, so when you reach behind the back of your right hand is up against the small of your back.

Does that make sense? Thoughts?

Thanks!

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Is it common to use a left handed holster for a SOB holster if you're right handed?
    At least among the pistol-forum.com regulars, I think you'll find it's uncommon to use any kind of SOB holster whatsoever. Can you describe what perceived benefits you think such a holster provides over a more traditional hip holster?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Most of the SOB holsters I've seen have the butt facing up and the barrel facing left (towards left side of body). This looks like an unnatural way to reach a gun, not to mention the barrel is facing outward.

Seems like the most natural holster for someone right handed would be a left handed holster where the barrel is facing down and the butt is facing right side of the body, so when you reach behind the back of your right hand is up against the small of your back.
    The reason the holsters are oriented the way they are, rather than how you suggest, is that if the butt were facing outwards and the barrel down and you were carrying the gun behind your strong-side hip, a rushed and sloppy draw would have the muzzle sweep your own body. Combine that with a trigger finger getting all anxious and into the guard early, and you could put a bullet through your own kidneys somewhere between Count One and Count Two of a "Four Count Draw".

This will affect your score, and in about the same way a platform diver's score is affected by missing the pool.

If you have to carry the gun back past 4:30 or so, the reason for the awkward- and unnatural-looking butt-up cant is so that the drawstroke naturally points the muzzle down and away from the shooter.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm looking for a conceal carry holster for a Glock 19 with a paddle, as they seem to be the quickest to take on and off for me. Yes, I realize that IWB holsters on the right side are more concealable and comfortable sitting down and I have one but am considering a SOB holster as well.

Does that make sense? Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Merits of the SOB holster aside...(bad idea in general)

For clarity we're going to break it down like this:

Grip up toward back = palm in being as how the palm of the hand is in toward body.
    Grip down toward butt = palm out.

The issues with palm out (Cavalry draw) are that it's extremely easy to muzzle your torso on the draw and rectifying that by sweeping the arm down and back up is a slow draw, and even more easy to stuff than a palm in SOB draw which is still pretty easy to stuff.

Man I hope you don't feel like you are on the bottom of a dog pile, but...

The law enforcement community has figured out that it's a really bad idea to put hard, metal objects right at the base of your spine. Cops used to carry handcuffs there, and some of them fell down and had significant injuries from the big chunk of metal.

Oh yea, you've got some real retention problems with a Small of Back holster in case somebody wants to take your gun away and shoot you with it.

Can't draw worth a damn while seated either.

Ok. One more and I'll stop. While you might carry with a SOB holster, it is unlikely you will be able to attend a formal training class with one.

Visualize being on a firing line with shooters in a line abreast to your left and right, and instructors behind you. It's really hard to draw without pointing the gun at somebody else.

All excellent points, and ones I haven't thought of. Thanks!

User Tag List