Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The cost of a basic load in 1356

The cost of a basic load in 1356

In 1356 a sheaf of arrows (24) cost an archer 5 days pay.

An E-1 in the U.S. Army makes about $1500 month, or $250 for five days.

The cost of a basic load today is less, and gets you way more shots at the enemy.
    Deja vu DVC: In archery we have three goals; to shoot accurately, to shoot powerfully, to shoot rapidly.
    - De Re Strategica of Syrianus Magister @525AD

Interesting. I wonder if the math holds for artillery?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    How much is that in electrum pieces?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    How much is that in electrum pieces?
    In Lydia, 3 electrums was a month's pay for a soldier... so one electrum would be 10 days pay... a half electrum was 5 days pay.

Three electrum were about 14 grams, say 50/50 gold silver, that's about $350 today, or about $60 for 5 days?
    Last edited by MikeO; 10-04-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Deja vu DVC: In archery we have three goals; to shoot accurately, to shoot powerfully, to shoot rapidly.

For those who roll their own...assuming components on hand, that same soldier's 5 days pay will allow me to make more than 2,000 rounds of 9mm over a long weekend, which I do several times each year.

I haven't tried to find out, but I wonder how many arrows I could make during that same amount of time. My flintknapping skills are **** but assuming pre-made components, hmmm. I may have to test this some day.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogdad View Post
    For those who roll their own...assuming components on hand, that same soldier's 5 days pay will allow me to make more than 2,000 rounds of 9mm over a long weekend, which I do several times each year.

I haven't tried to find out, but I wonder how many arrows I could make during that same amount of time. My flintknapping skills are **** but assuming pre-made components, hmmm. I may have to test this some day.
    Cedar shafts are $36 doz, $290 per hundred. Bodkin points are $3-4 each (field points $30 per hundred), feathers are $50 per hundred. Then there's the glue and thread for the fletch and points, the stain/lacquer for the shafts, horn for the nocks...

Most time consuming part is cutting the nocks, inserting the horn, recutting the nock... or carving horn nocks from scratch and then putting them on a tapered shaft.

Arrows are cheap to practice with, expensive to go to war with.
    Last edited by MikeO; 10-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.

However, an archer back then was not an infantryman, but rather artillery support.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    However, an archer back then was not an infantryman, but rather artillery support.
    True. Artillery was very expensive too, and the rate of fire incredibly slow for the early stuff (hours per shot, not shots per hour).

At the 1356 Battle of Poitiers, artillery was available, but not used by either side.

At the battle of Castillon in 1453, French artillery mauled English archers, winning the Hundred Years War.
    Last edited by MikeO; 10-04-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
    In 1356 a sheaf of arrows (24) cost an archer 5 days pay.

An E-1 in the U.S. Army makes about $1500 month, or $250 for five days.

The cost of a basic load today is less, and gets you way more shots at the enemy.
    I have trouble believing an E-1 is the equivalent of a 14th century archer.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    I have trouble believing an E-1 is the equivalent of a 14th century archer.
    I guess that would depend on the archers age.

This thread brings up an idea that I often think about. Would a true "well regulated militia" in the tradition of the old English law be practical and/or even feasible in our society today? Every able bodied man 18-50 must own and maintain a suitable AR platform 556 rifle and qualify with it once per year. Women at their option. Body armor and pistols meeting set requirements are optional. What would be the ramifications on our society? Would it hinder our ability to project force? Am I living in such a fantasy world that I'm not even worth replying to?

Switzerland comes the closest today, but still arms are provided by the state and ammunition has recently stopped being issued to keep at home. I don't know how much private ammo a Swiss citizen can keep with them.

User Tag List