Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP II Lite Rack .22

Ruger LCP II Lite Rack .22

After seeing/hearing some good things about Ruger's little pocket .22 LR I bought one. 500 rounds in, it's proven to be anything but dependable.

I've had issues with almost every magful: light primer strikes, failures to eject, failures to chamber a round. 200 rounds in I installed a set of Galloway Precision springs to see if that would cure any of these issues, but they persist, and obviously have voided my warranty. I've tried several different types of ammo, especially CCI Velocitors, which others report have worked fine in their gun.

I've contemplated getting another magazine (it only ships with one) but am reluctant to spend any more money on this thing. The good news was it was pretty cheap to purchase, and it's a fun little plinker that lets me practice malfunction drills.

But I'd like to know if anyone else here has had a bad experience with one of these, or a good one for that matter. Are there other potential fixes I should try? Would it be worth rolling the dice on the purchase of another one, seeing as I already have a set of replacement springs?

I really wanted to like this pistol, but it feels more like a lemon.

CCI Velocitor experienced failures to feed in both of my two LCP II .22 LR.

Darryl Bolke, who has a lot of experience with LCP II .22 LR, mentioned in a podcast that Velocitor cycles the action too quickly and causes stoppages.

One of my LCP II's runs reliably with Federal 29gr Punch, while the other does not. The other (as well as the first one) functions reliably with CCI 40gr CPHP (1235 fps).

I've not had any light strikes with either pistol.

I've had both my pistols for 6 months.

Mine seems to be a good one - - - - - now. I was getting a lot of Failure to Fire with light firing pin hits. I put a set of Galloway springs in it and it fired around 700 rounds of Mini Mags OK, but I still wasn't happy with the firing pin hits almost off the edge of the rim of the brass. I heard about somebody on E-Bay selling a better firing pin. I got one and installed it and the new firing pin has a good strike on the brass.

Old and new firing pin hits.

Name:  IMG_1113.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  44.3 KB

Pretty interesting, considering Ruger claims the pistol is designed to run standard velocity ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Mine seems to be a good one - - - - - now. I was getting a lot of Failure to Fire with light firing pin hits. I put a set of Galloway springs in it and it fired around 700 rounds of Mini Mags OK, but I still wasn't happy with the firing pin hits almost off the edge of the rim of the brass. I heard about somebody on E-Bay selling a better firing pin. I got one and installed it and the new firing pin has a good strike on the brass.

Old and new firing pin hits.

Name:  IMG_1113.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  44.3 KB
    Did yours have any other issues like failure to extract/failure to feed?

I've gathered that there are "good ones" and "bad ones."

Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Pretty interesting, considering Ruger claims the pistol is designed to run standard velocity ammo.
    Velocitor (1435 fps) isn't standard velocity ammo.

CCI 40gr LRN at 1040 fps is labeled "Standard Velocity".

Could be just what you said it’s a lemon, not indicative of all LCP 22’s. I find with 22 handguns, the chances of getting a bad one are much much higher then with a center fire. The guns are built cheaper, usually use cheaper materials and have inconsistent tolerances. Add to it the ammo that is also cheaper and often prone to malfunction and you’ve got a recipe for problems.

I have an Sig P322 that is a lemon, never worked great and now doesn't work at all. But I know there are plenty of P322’s out there that work great. Just goes to show we can’t condemn the whole line on an example of one.

I bought one NIB. The worse POS handgun I’ve owned. Light strikes, fails to extract. I’ve sent it back to Mayodan twice. They claimed both times to have fixed it, but it is no better. I since installed an aftermarket spring kit, and tried the aftermarket firing pin sold on EBay. The firearm is still unreliable. I wrote to the Ruger CEO, and got no response. I’d like to sell it, but my conscience would bother me. I gave up on it, and packed it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Did yours have any other issues like failure to extract/failure to feed?
    I tried Velocitors and Punch and had malfunctions but I don't remember what.

As long as I feed it 40 grain Mini Mags it runs great.

This little gun is stupid accurate. I put a laser on it and it is easy to shoot well. I painted the front sight orange and it's pretty easy to see. The rear sight is small but it seems to be a good design. The irons hit POA/POI.

I still don't trust it for carry.

Mine is around 5,000 rounds.
    Reliable as my glocks almost.
    99% of ammo was Aguila or Ely 40 grain solids.

User Tag List