Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-7 HL-X (throw-oriented TLR-7)

Streamlight TLR-7 HL-X (throw-oriented TLR-7)

https://www.streamlight.com/products...tlr-7-hl-x-usb

Ain't no X300T, but it's also much smaller, still retaining the TLR-7-ish form factor, though the head is longer, so I would presume standard TLR-7 holsters would not be useable. With a CR123A battery, it has half the lumens, but the same amount of candela, as an X300U (500 lumens, 11k candela), with a 1.5 hour run time. With their rechargeable battery (looks like an RCR123 or possibly an 16340, rather than an 18350), you can hot rod it to 1000 lumens and 22k candela, though you only get 0.5 hours of run time at that output. For reference, an X300T is at 650 lumens, 66k candela.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    https://www.streamlight.com/products...tlr-7-hl-x-usb

Ain't no X300T, but it's also much smaller, still retaining the TLR-7-ish form factor, though the head is longer, so I would presume standard TLR-7 holsters would not be useable. With a CR123A battery, it has half the lumens, but the same amount of candela, as an X300U (500 lumens, 11k candela), with a 1.5 hour run time. With their rechargeable battery (looks like an RCR123 or possibly an 16340, rather than an 18350), you can hot rod it to 1000 lumens and 22k candela, though you only get 0.5 hours of run time at that output. For reference, an X300T is at 650 lumens, 66k candela.
    If it doesn't fit in the same holster as a TLR-7 this is a solid fail.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If it doesn't fit in the same holster as a TLR-7 this is a solid fail.
    The head is longer, nothing a heat gun won't fix.

This is a welcome addition. I assume this will become the new benchmark for small carry lights.

Two other things I want to see from Streamlight. A TLR-9 version with the new high candela head that's dual fuel but intended for a 16650 and then a high candela version of the TLR-1.

One more thing I'd like (maybe instead of an updated 9) is a light that's between the 7 and 9 in size that takes an 18350.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The HLX light head can be installed on any TLR7 or RM light and boost the candela. They have a SKU for the HLX head only but it hasn’t been available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if the existing TLR-8 can be 'upgraded' to the new head and battery without burning out the laser...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I think that, considering the more approachable cost of Streamlight WMLs and the easy modification on holster molds (I'm assuming. You know what they say...) and probably holsters themselves by end users, this will do well.

However, at this point it's getting close to the size range of the upcoming PL350c that will have better output, a better battery, and is a similar width to the TLR-7. I'm more willing than most CCWers to spend money for better candela due to my time illuminating people in the dark, so I'd rather spend my money on the Modlite when it comes out.

We're at the point though where manufacturers are going to have to move on from CR123s to continue to improve output without taking more steps backwards in runtime. The real challenge there is that these MFGs are less willing to do so until their main customers, govt agencies, move on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre3 View Post
    I think that, considering the more approachable cost of Streamlight WMLs and the easy modification on holster molds (I'm assuming. You know what they say...) and probably holsters themselves by end users, this will do well.

However, at this point it's getting close to the size range of the upcoming PL350c that will have better output, a better battery, and is a similar width to the TLR-7. I'm more willing than most CCWers to spend money for better candela due to my time illuminating people in the dark, so I'd rather spend my money on the Modlite when it comes out.

We're at the point though where manufacturers are going to have to move on from CR123s to continue to improve output without taking more steps backwards in runtime. The real challenge there is that these MFGs are less willing to do so until their main customers, govt agencies, move on.
    Except it's going to be a while after Modlite eventually starts shipping them before holsters for something other than a G19 will be available. TLR-7 holsters are available for a wide variety of pistols and a minute with a heat gun will allow this new head to fit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre3 View Post

If you read the specs on the new light it takes either a rechargeable Li-ion battery or CR-123s with the Li battery doubling the performance. Even with CR-123s it provides improved performance (essentially double the candela) vs the earlier TLR7.

SL-B9®: 1,000 lumens; 22,000 candela; 297m beam; runs 30 minutes (default) or programmable to 500 lumens; 11,000 candela; 210m beam; runs 1 hour
    CR123A: 500 lumens; 11,000 candela; 210m beam; runs 1.5 hours
    A lot of LE agencies are looking at smaller form factor lights for duty guns due to weight bulk and minimizing the need for larger openings on duty holsters to accommodate traditional WML.

User Tag List