Thread: Barrel PVD vs DLC and TiN Coatings

Barrel PVD vs DLC and TiN Coatings

Hello,

I have a couple of barrels that I want to get coated in gold. I have seen TiN, PVD and DLC coatings. reading on them, it gets a little confusing, so I am just trying to find out if one is better than the other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, JR

PVD: physical vapor deposition
    DLC: diamond-like carbon
    TiN: titanium nitride

TiN and DLC are the physical materials that go over whatever you're trying to coat. PVD is the process used typically to apply these materials. If you choose to have your barrel coated in TiN, you are necessarily having it PVD'd. DLC, on the other hand, can be applied in a couple of different ways, not just PVD, though typically it is also PVD when used in a firearms context. Thus, there are those who will confusingly differentiate PVD coatings and DLC coatings because some things, like TiN, are only really applicable via PVD, while something like DLC can be applied multiple ways, in which PVD is just one of the options.

If you want a gold color, DLC will not be an option, as DLC does not come in that color; by name, it is a type of carbon, and thus only comes in shades of dark grey (including black).

Thank you, that definitely clears it up.

JR

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation to have this procedure performed. Looking for a reliable company.

Thank you JR

Cogan Custom/Accurate Plating and Weaponry has a good reputation. https://apwcogan.com/refinishing/. I do not know if Cogan will just do barrels, but a phone call to 334-585-9488 should answer that question.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Cogan Custom/Accurate Plating and Weaponry has a good reputation. https://apwcogan.com/refinishing/. I do not know if Cogan will just do barrels, but a phone call to 334-585-9488 should answer that question.

User Tag List