Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolver vs C3 Glock for Home Defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ll be a contrarian and note that Con 3 for striker-fired autos could be a safety feature for those like me who tend to be a bit foggy before morning coffee. I can make an argument that I don’t want to be immediately grabbing for a point and shoot SFA if roused out of a deep sleep by a sudden noise at 2am. I most def need a few seconds to shake off the confusion, based on history.

Of course, this is why when I’m posting about a “nightstand gun” in passing here, it’s often a wheelie or 1911. OMMV, but that’s my personal take.
    I’d argue for keeping the gun chambered and holstered vs chamber empty for the circumstances you describe. Holster covers the trigger guard and unholstering provides an intermediate step which is both quieter and more certain than racking a round into the chamber.

Revolver if you can't trust yourself with a condition 1 glock in a holster

To echo what some have suggested, a firearm, ready to go bang doing nightstand duty is best in a holster, regardless of revolver versus auto.

Even in a standard safe, that makes good sense as well. My wife once asked me if she went to the main safe and needed a firearm in a hurry, which one is Loaded. I told her, if it’s in a holster, you’re gtg.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just a comment that motivated little kids have figured out how to rack slides on semis. There are studies of such. Also, instructions not to touch have very spotted adherence to - by kids of all ages. Even after programs like Eddie Eagle, etc. - kids left alone would pick up found guns.

Not an argument for unchambered/chamber but about how some kids or adults can't rack. When my 5'4" daughter was 14, I took a Glock 19 ( checked and checked and checked) and showed her racking. I asked her to do it. Not a problem. Now she was a work out kid with weights, etc. As an 18 year and supervised at the range, she could shoot and liked the 19. But she wasn't a gun person and would go to the range with me and later hubby just for a thing to do. Liked, it but wasn't a thing.
    I don't disagree.

The primary feature was that my young daughter was unable to defeat the SS 3 retention holster. The Glock w/o a round in the chamber was simply an additional layer. It ended up working great. Plus I am talking about young kids, not 14 year olds. By the time my daughter was 11, she had her own pair of .45 Colt revolvers that she kept in her room. I was less worried about her with guns than I was her trashing the house when left unsupervised by the time she was 11.

I kind of skipped the whole Eddie Eagle and thing and went straight to "this is how you do it safely, ya little Wolverine!".

I knew a child's natural curiosity is to mess with things that they are not supposed to. So I simply removed the curiosity. Whenever she wanted to fiddle with guns, I brought them out. There was no mystique about them. They were just a normal part of the environment in our household. I was MUCH more concerned about other kids (and adults) visiting. The wife constantly had friends and their kids over. That was a concern for me.

Instead of "don't touch", I said, "this is how you handle a sharp knife, kid".

We went shooting a couple weeks ago. She does well. She LOVES to work a lever action .22 on steel targets!

The gun shown is a 1950s era Marlin Mountie .22LR I picked up over in Montana. It came off a ranch. Was very well used, but pretty well taken care of for its age. The Marlins of that era were quite well built and that Mountie is super smooth. A gun to last a lifetime. She received it for her 18th birthday. One good rifle to last her for her lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I don't disagree.

The primary feature was that my young daughter was unable to defeat the SS 3 retention holster. The Glock w/o a round in the chamber was simply an additional layer. It ended up working great. Plus I am talking about young kids, not 14 year olds. By the time my daughter was 11, she had her own pair of .45 Colt revolvers that she kept in her room. I was less worried about her with guns than I was her trashing the house when left unsupervised by the time she was 11.

I kind of skipped the whole Eddie Eagle and thing and went straight to "this is how you do it safely, ya little Wolverine!".

I knew a child's natural curiosity is to mess with things that they are not supposed to. So I simply removed the curiosity. Whenever she wanted to fiddle with guns, I brought them out. There was no mystique about them. They were just a normal part of the environment in our household. I was MUCH more concerned about other kids (and adults) visiting. The wife constantly had friends and their kids over. That was a concern for me.

We went shooting a couple weeks ago. She does well. She LOVES to work a lever action .22 on steel targets!

The gun shown is a 1950s era Marlin Mountie .22LR I picked up over in Montana. It came off a ranch. Was very well used, but pretty well taken care of for its age. The Marlins of that era were quite well built and that Mountie is super smooth. A gun to last a lifetime. She received it for her 18th birthday. One good rifle to last her for her lifetime.
    Fine parenting

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

When I was very young my parents never let me near the kitchen knives...then one day when I was 5-6 my mom walked out onto the back porch without me...I turned the deadbolt and made her watch through the window as I pulled out all the knives and played with them!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’d argue for keeping the gun chambered and holstered vs chamber empty for the circumstances you describe. Holster covers the trigger guard and unholstering provides an intermediate step which is both quieter and more certain than racking a round into the chamber.
    It also allows you to grab the rig and put it in your pants when you go to investigate noise/lights/etc. I've had zero home defense shootings, but a fair number of times I've armed myself to check stuff out.

In Hambo House, pistols in holsters anywhere in the house are guaranteed to be fully loaded. The shotgun is cruiser ready.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It also allows you to grab the rig and put it in your pants when you go to investigate noise/lights/etc. I've had zero home defense shootings, but a fair number of times I've armed myself to check stuff out.

In Hambo House, pistols in holsters anywhere in the house are guaranteed to be fully loaded. The shotgun is cruiser ready.
    Checking stuff out butt nekkid is part of my threat display. Instead of "Shock and Awe" think "Horror and Disgust". Few home invaders possess the resolution to face up to the implication.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Checking stuff out butt nekkid is part of my threat display. Instead of "Shock and Awe" think "Horror and Disgust". Few home invaders possess the resolution to face up to the implication.
    I can only think of one place where you carry your spare mag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I can only think of one place where you carry your spare mag.
    Stendo.
    That's where the BUG goes.

User Tag List