Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory 230g Flat Nose for the Range?

Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Chicken or the egg. How do you know what will feed without shooting it? I’m not going to use defensive ammunition for range sessions beyond what is needed to prove operation. By that standard, shooting FMJ is pissing in the wind.

I like HST, maybe the solution is to buy Syntech TSJ like what is offered here:

https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...HST2TM100.html
    Or if it's for a 1911 go old school and get a couple cases of what you want to carry and put a K through your carry gun and back up using dedicated carry mags and save a K for testing and carry. That should last at least a year. With a 1911 I would only trust the exact ammo I was going to use.

If it is a modern known 45 (G21, M&P) after break in I would be good with several hundred rounds and then using some of the "training copies"

But a case through one's carry gun and back up (so three cases total) would be the most ideal (and then a dedicated trainer to beat to death) even with a modern service weapon.

Good Luck!

Have you explored 200 gr SWC loads? It has always been one of my favorites out of 1911s.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Have you explored 200 gr SWC loads? It has always been one of my favorites out of 1911s.
    I haven’t shot a 200g SWC in years - we used to load them. I’m not sure if they would make a good analog for carry 230gs, though.

My wife and I went through a *lot* of 200s loaded down for club level bullseye competition.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I haven’t shot a 200g SWC in years - we used to load them. I’m not sure if they would make a good analog for carry 230gs, though.

My wife and I went through a *lot* of 200s loaded down for club level bullseye competition.
    All my guns shoot my 200gr swc @950fps to the same poi as 230gr +p hst
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I decided to jump off the cliff and ordered a half case of the purple tip Syntech. I like how it’s intended to be a range counterpart for HST, which is what I’ve been transitioning to in all my defense guns.

Let’s see how it goes!
    Ken

I decided to jump off the cliff and ordered a half case of the purple tip Syntech. I like how it’s intended to be a range counterpart for HST, which is what I’ve been transitioning to in all my defense guns.

Let’s see how it goes!
    HeavyDuty, did you order any ammo for that Glock 29 gen 5 you gonna purchase? Just thinking of those holes that are burning through your pants pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    HeavyDuty, did you order any ammo for that Glock 29 gen 5 you gonna purchase? Just thinking of those holes that are burning through your pants pocket.
    Ouch. No, that’s only a remote possibility and not the kind of thing I’d be buying cases for anyway.
    Ken

I’ve got a Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm. I bought it just to have an additional caliber in the stable due to ammo availability issues over the recent years. If you do get a 29 let us know what you think about it. As always, I enjoy your insights on the forum.

10mm something that has always interested me but that I’ve never owned. Realistically my chances of being treed by a javelina or whatever are pretty slim, and the 9 or 45 I usually carry when I’m out photographing would be plenty of protection since I’m not hunting. As I mentioned in that thread it’s more about justification of a want.
    Ken

User Tag List