Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 Questions: Alloy Frames, Skirted Mag Followers, and LostRiver's .45 ACP +P 250gr

And then the upward curve of the RPM and + compared to the legacy Chip:

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Here is a picture I downloaded from the net that shows some followers. I do not remember where I got it. I beli9eve it was from the now-defunct 10-8 Forum or the 10-8 website.

Name:  followers - Copy.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  56.1 KB

On the topic of Tripp followers.

I tried mine in a legacy length 1911 45 tube with a 12 coil .42" spring out of a Tripp 9mm mag. It fed, locked open, etc without issue. The mag loaded with 8 seats easily on a closed slide. My only complaint is that the full mag rattles a little bit.

Will the spring have enough lift for something like 230 grain JHP +P? I'll probably never find out.

I'd guess the 13 coil would be the better option but the 12 coil seems to be working fine. I'll continue to mess with this mag and see how it goes. Maybe next time I'm ordering some stuff from Dawson I might order a few other Tripp springs to mess around with.

In about 2007ish the ticket for max reliability per Gunsmith/Trainer/FBI Agent Hilton Yam was a Tripp Super 7 Upgrade Kit into a CMC 8 round Power Mag.

This is something Hilton wrote that I copied. I believe this was either from his now-defunct 10-8 messageboard or an article from his website http://www.10-8Performance.com which I can no longer find.

"The spring/follower kits were installed in some of my CMC Power Mag tubes, and created a 7 round magazine. These are the same innards in the 8 rd Cobra Mags, so the lack of additional tube length shortens the capacity. Feeding and lockback on this setup has been a completely uneventful 100% with ball and JHP, and it meets all my expectations for follower stability and spring power.

As some of you probably know, I've been chasing magazine configurations for a couple years now, and I think I've found the answer with the Cobra Mags and the spring/follower kits. I have been leaving the mags loaded, and will continue to evaluate them as they age over the coming months. I already know that my CMC tubes will hold up while loaded, so I am mainly watching the Cobra Mag tubes and feed lips."

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    On the topic of Tripp followers.

I tried mine in a legacy length 1911 45 tube ...
    For clarity, from a terminology standpoint, while Tripp sells that follower, they call it their "Flex" follower, it is the CheckMate Patented Follower you are showing in the picture, or CMF. It has the CheckMate patent number on the follower.

Usually, when folks say "Tripp follower", they are indicating the "hybrid" follower @Ed L is talking about in his post, and shown in the top/center of Ed L's post #32, unless they specify the Tripp Flex Follower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    In about 2007ish the ticket for max reliability per Gunsmith/Trainer/FBI Agent Hilton Yam was a Tripp Super 7 Upgrade Kit into a CMC 8 round Power Mag.

This is something Hilton wrote that I copied. I believe this was either from his now-defunct 10-8 messageboard or an article from his website http://www.10-8Performance.com which I can no longer find.

"The spring/follower kits were installed in some of my CMC Power Mag tubes, and created a 7 round magazine. These are the same innards in the 8 rd Cobra Mags, so the lack of additional tube length shortens the capacity. Feeding and lockback on this setup has been a completely uneventful 100% with ball and JHP, and it meets all my expectations for follower stability and spring power.

As some of you probably know, I've been chasing magazine configurations for a couple years now, and I think I've found the answer with the Cobra Mags and the spring/follower kits. I have been leaving the mags loaded, and will continue to evaluate them as they age over the coming months. I already know that my CMC tubes will hold up while loaded, so I am mainly watching the Cobra Mag tubes and feed lips."
    That combo of spring and follower won't lock the slide open on my new SIG. I haven't bothered measuring the slide stop. Other mags lock the slide back with no issues.

The metal Tripp follower locks the slide open just fine but still only allows for seven rounds with the Super 7 spring, which is 14 coils of .048" wire. With a 12 coil .042" spring I can load 8 rounds and haven't had any problems with slide lock.

I talked to Virgil very briefly about the lock back issue; asking if he might have a taller slide stop insert for his plastic follower. He recommended I try a metal follower. So here we are.

Here's one of Yam's newer videos regarding mags. I don't know if he is still using the Chip/Tripp combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I don't know if he is still using the Chip/Tripp combo.
    I'm pretty sure he moved away from that years ago. He's a fan of 8 rounders and he couldn't justify reducing capacity, when there were other options that provided the reliability he wanted with 8 round capacity.

The late Stephen A. Camp was also a fan of the Tripp "Super 7" kits, and 7 rounders in general, but this was before the longer tube 8 rounders became a common option.

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.co...11-45-acp.html

User Tag List