Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Iran's President Missing After Helicopter Crash

I flew in a helicopter one time. That was in a Bell UH-1 into the Grand Canyon. I was pretty sure the Vietnam vet pilot had a death wish. The aircraft didn't seem to be too stable either. It more or less felt like it was trying to tear itself apart. I'd fly in a Boeing 737 before I flew in another helicopter.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For some years, the Bell Jet Ranger had the best safety record of any single engine aircraft, fixed or rotor wing. It is interesting how the auto rotative characteristics of helicopters vary. The MD 500, for example, is like somebody kicked a rock off a ledge where the jet ranger feels like it is almost a powered approach by comparison.
    We had MD500s. We practiced autorotation drills but fitting four SWAT guys into the back was problematic. It did feel like a falling rock.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Childhood friend went to school for his A&P license... First job was helicopter repair in NYC.
    Said the worst part of his job were check-rides... he hated them with a passion.
    Eventually moved on to work for Aer Lingus before I lost track of him.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I flew in a helicopter one time. That was in a Bell UH-1 into the Grand Canyon. I was pretty sure the Vietnam vet pilot had a death wish. The aircraft didn't seem to be too stable either. It more or less felt like it was trying to tear itself apart. I'd fly in a Boeing 737 before I flew in another helicopter.
    Probably had a loose Jesus nut. That's the one that holds the rotor on.
    I suppose in Iran's case it'd be the Allah nut. Those definitely need Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    We had MD500s. We practiced autorotation drills but fitting four SWAT guys into the back was problematic. It did feel like a falling rock.
    I am hoping they didn't practice emergency procedures with people in the back.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am hoping they didn't practice emergency procedures with people in the back.
    We never touched down. They went up high to practice the drop so we and the pilot in training would know what it felt like. We had to get off the skids and get as much of your upper body as you could in the back. They’d go back to normal flight before we got close to the ground. I’m am extremely glad I never had to do it for real.

We and our pilots learned it from Phoenix SAU and their air unit.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

From a Layman's perspective those darn things are not very prone to survivable crashes
    @Mas
    I'm not going down the debate rabbit hole regarding candidates for our next president in 2024, but I am truly and completely tired of this particular asshole.
    -1911nut

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    As seen on another site today:”in a fitting turn of events Raisi was stoned to death with a mountain.”
    What goes around comes around.

Site Supporter
    Last radio message - IRAN out of gas.

Making fun of death bothers me a bit but ... A friend with his wife and kid was on a DC-8 that ran out of gas and came down in the woods. They were in the back and made it. The front folks died.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Last radio message - IRAN out of gas.

Making fun of death bothers me a bit but ... A friend with his wife and kid was on a DC-8 that ran out of gas and came down in the woods. They were in the back and made it. The front folks died.
    Maybe somebody forgot to fill the tank and there wasn't a preflight check off. We ran out of gas in an agency vehicle once. The truck died in a busy intersection. The driver, not me, forgot to top it off the morning of the incident. I had to call for help. Fortunately a WSP was behind us and pushed us out of the intersection. I took some serious ribbing over that. Oh well. I'm still alive and lived to retire, unlike Raisi.

User Tag List