Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Snake Guns from Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Dang, I wish that Viper had an adjustable rear sight.
    We could have had that and a new .357 Diamondback. Colt, in its infinite wisdom, gave us the King Cobra Target instead. An ugly small frame revolver that weighs as much as a K frame.

People don't think Colt be like it is, but it do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Sure, ok, but what does it offer us? Is it a "Trooper Mk. 2"? A cheaper Not Python?

Maybe @MattyD380 could comment after his Trooper Review.

The Kodiak is just a ported Anaconda, and the Grizzly is just a ported Python.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some revolver resurgence, but WTH, Colt?
    Interesting. It seems like (as others have mentioned) this Viper is a basically a half-lugged version of the current King Cobra. This is the first I've heard anything about the Viper, so... not 100% sure.

In any case...

The new Colt revolvers don't correspond, exactly, to the 20th-century frame sizes/designs. The original I-Frame guns (e.g., Pythons, non-MK-Troopers) used the classic V-Spring architecture that dates back to 19th century. By contrast, the J/V-Frames (Trooper MKIII, MKV and '90s King Cobras) used coil springs and "sintered metal" innards.

From what I can tell, ALL the new Colt revolvers use a modified/modernized version of the OG V-spring setup, including the current Pythons, Cobras and King Cobras. And probably Anacondas. Looking at cutaways, you can see they all use a V-shaped piece of flat steel for the mainspring--but it's a little more rounded and linkages are slightly different vs. an OG Python or 1960s Trooper .357. The newer Colts also all seem to have the trigger-locking cylinder feature, where the cylinder freezes up as soon as you touch the trigger.

So, long story short, the current King Cobra really has no lineage from the '90s King Cobras or the Trooper MK series guns--all of which used a coil spring architecture. Moreover, the size of the current King Cobras has nothing to do with 20th century King Cobras, either (at least, based on my understanding).

But, again, this Viper seems like it uses the current King Cobra platform. Whatever the hell we wanna call that, given the above.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-17-2024 at 04:17 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I kinda like it. They changed up the cylinder release a little.
    Name:  Colt Viper 2024.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  36.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I really want a new new service
    I'll second that!

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    People don't think Colt be like it is, but it do.
    Oscar Gamble, 1975.
    You don't see Oscar quoted as much as should be.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

[Accidental double post]
    Last edited by DMF13; 05-17-2024 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Wait, wait, wait... so Colt is saying, "Yeah, sure, we'll just leave that money on the table" ?!?
    There are costs associated with increasing production capability. Clearly they have decided the payoff/risks don't justify the investment in that increased capacity. Whether that's the right business decision, or not, is anyone's guess.

First video on Youtube, and the guy says it is a "full size frame." *facepalm*

Colt really needs to drive home that this is a small frame revolver. A six shot .357 that is lighter than an SP101 should not be that hard to market.

Still waiting on that aluminum framed Cobra. I thought that Smith & Wesson’s new UC revolvers might push Colt in that direction.

Looks like they shaved slightly over an ounce off the 3-inch King Cobra, and kept the same tiny fixed sights that are hard for anyone much over 40 to see. Appears to be the same trigger, OK but it could be improved.

Not enough to get me to spend money, it doesn't really bring anything my King Cobra can't already do.

How about something optics ready? Or a lightweight alloy snub version? Or even incremental improvements like better sights and a slightly wider trigger?

User Tag List