Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Snake Guns from Colt

Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Is the viper a Python or cobra sized?
    The New Colt Model 66….
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's shit alone, and be kind to one another. In other words, do not do unto others what is hateful to yourself.

Various Colts in stock:

https://www.brownells.com/guns/handg...umberOfReviews

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Various Colts in stock:

https://www.brownells.com/guns/handg...umberOfReviews

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    3” Viper listed as coming, but no 4”. Interesting.

I’m curious what street price will be.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I find it close to being what @Stephanie B described in terms of the specs, their version of the current production models of the S&W 66, at least they did not put a stupid serrated trigger on it.

Description

VIPER 357 MAGNUM REVOLVER
    FEATURES:
    The Colt Viper features a 1/2 lug barrel design to reduce weight and increase concealability.
    The forged stainless-steel construction delivers a robust shooting experience and is paired with a one-piece barrel with a
    recessed target crown.
    The Colt Viper features a U-Notch rear sight with a black ramp front sight for quick, reliable target acquisition and is paired with American Walnut checkered grips.
    Chambered for 357 Magnum and accepts 38 Special cartridges.
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Capacity - 6 Rounds
    Frame Material - Stainless Steel
    Finish - Stainless Steel
    Barrel Technical - 1:14" LH, 6 Groove
    Barrel Length - 3" (76,2 mm) or 4.25" (108 mm)
    Front Sight - Black Ramp
    Rear sight - U-Notch
    Trigger Action - Double & Single Action
    Trigger Pull Double Action - 7 - 9.5 lbs (31-42N)
    Grip - Traditional Walnut Grips
    Unloaded Weight - 26.9 oz (762.6 g) - 28.5 oz (808 g)
    Overall Length - 8" (203 mm) - 9.25" (235 mm)
    Overall Height - 5" (127 mm)
    Overall Width - 1.4" (36 mm)
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

The new Viper is very appealing to me. That appears to be on the D frame sized (small frame size) new King Cobra Frame. That revolver is essentially the new Magnum Carry. Its a shame that we never got to see a .357 Magnum Diamondback and a .357 Magnum Police Positive before Colt dropped the axe on that gun after one model year.

Things like this were what I had originally hoped the new small frame Colt lineup would be. Essentially a series of revolvers that have the same names, and appearance, of the older guns but with modern internals that make them easier/more affordable to produce.

This should be called a "Police Positive Magnum" but modern Colt loves to use snake names whenever they can.

An all business, small frame, six shot .357 Magnum revolver with a half lug barrel is a wonderful thing to see. I just wish Colt would ditch that huge trigger guard on the small frame guns. If they market this revolver correctly (focus on its size efficiency compared to S&W and Ruger models) it could be a big hit amongst revolver fans.

The next obvious move would be a true "Cobra" model. An alloy, small frame .38 Special with 2" and 3" barrels.

Is the viper a Python or cobra sized?
    Cobra sized

I really want a new new service
    Same here. The new Anaconda is a boat anchor. It would be nice to see an N frame competitor.

Also, with what Colt is charging, they should really move to a different rear sight.

Dang, I wish that Viper had an adjustable rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    I would not like to shoot the ported barrel Kodiak without hearing protection. I had a 45-70 Marlin that had a ported barrel and shot it a couple times deer hunting which damaged my hearing.

The viper is interesting.
    Agreed. I have a compensated 629. It looks loud, but when you actually shoot it the blast falls somewhere between “concussive” and “astonishing” depending on the load. Plugs + muffs only.

User Tag List