Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas power outages 051624

Texas power outages 051624

#RESIST

Yes, it did. Very little warning. A rather ho-hum thunderstorm had been predicted, on the two weather apps I was monitoring. The sudden severity of this one became apparent with very little warning, from the time of the warning tone for the tornado warning, until that sickly dark cloudiness was right overhead. I got my truck off the street, into a large supermarket parking lot, well away from trees and power lines. It was, well, like something from a storm-chaser video. When I saw rotational shifting in wind direction, violently rocking my truck, I was truly concerned. I was in a part of town along a line between where those power line towers, that came down, and Downtown, where significant damage to buildings occurred.

After the wind subsided, the high ground clearance of my Toyota Tundra played a significant role in getting home sooner, rather than later. Even so, I did stop again, for a while, in a shopping plaza parking lot, to let street flooding drain away. Our neighborhood was, thankfully, off the path of the worst of it.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Yup. Spent most of the night with no power and removing a fallen oak tree that blocked my vehicles in my garage.

Site Supporter
    the whole state got a massive rain storm. Even way out here just barely east of New Mexico a freak storm blew in last night.

I noticed that this slammed into SW Louisiana shortly after it hit the Houston area. Calling @revchuck … How are you, sir?

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That’ll take a minute to fix. Some linemen will be making triple time.

A meteorologist being interviewed on public radio, this morning, said that it may have been a derecho, a straight-line wind, that would normally blow at higher altitude, at about 120 MPH, but, due to conditions, reaches ground level, where it blows at 80 MPH to 100 MPH. The NWS is still studying to determine what this was.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    A meteorologist being interviewed on public radio, this morning, said that it may have been a derecho, a straight-line wind, that would normally blow at higher altitude, at about 120 MPH, but, due to conditions, reaches ground level, where it blows at 80 MPH to 100 MPH. The NWS is still studying to determine what this was.
    ~4 years ago, I was hauling the Sunbeam behind the FJ and drove into a head-on derecho in middle Illinois. The whole trip, I had been averaging ~19.5MPG @65mph. My mileage plummeted to 7.5mpg @ 35mph into that head wind. If I had thought I could have stopped some place safe, I would have. But middle Illinois is basically...flat. I figured it was better to keep moving into the wind with some velocity than be subject to trying to find cover.

So, anyways, those kinds of winds are legit.

I've been bitching about a solid week of rain and flooding here. I'll shut up now

User Tag List