Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a Choke?

That video warped my mind a little.

At the risk of showing my ignorance is a choke ID always absolute or does it flex and fit the barrel so to speak.

As in if you take a 0.010 choke and put in in a .740 barrel is the ID now 0.730 vs a .720 barrel where it's be .710

or is that 0.010 measure on a choke kind of absolute in that it might say 0.10 but it's always 0.710 and that "0.01" on the is the choke maker assuming you have a 0.73 bore gun?

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    That video warped my mind a little.

At the risk of showing my ignorance is a choke ID always absolute or does it flex and fit the barrel so to speak.

As in if you take a 0.010 choke and put in in a .740 barrel is the ID now 0.730 vs a .720 barrel where it's be .710

or is that 0.010 measure on a choke kind of absolute in that it might say 0.10 but it's always 0.710 and that "0.01" on the is the choke maker assuming you have a 0.73 bore gun?

Bore diameter

Choke makers don't assume anything. They know the bore diameter of various manufactures and build chokes accordingly.

I think the choke is measured to accommodate the bore.. The choke as marked will be the constriction no matter the bore of the barrel. Different manufacturers use different bore diameters. That's why we use constriction.. You will see it stated as 0 points to 40 points. Regardless of the bore diameter the constriction reduces the bore diameter to effect choke. The common bore diameter of 12 ga is .729". So 30 points would be ,699" dia. or full. Without knowing the bore diameter you just have to assume the choke marked full has reduced the bore diameter 30 points.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List