Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Single action revolver discusson and general shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    One day I'm going to break down and actually get a pair of the 2nd gen F-series Walkers because no other reason than Josey Wales.
    You say that as though it’s not a really good reason…..

1st shots with the .45 ACP convertible cylinder @ 20 yards; the 45 Long Colt is just as accurate

Name:  00463-Black-Hawk45-ACP200gr-SWCTesting20yards-Small.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  93.9 KB

After an unsatisfactory attempt to buy a Davidson's Exclusive Pietta .357 Friday at a medium size LGS (they expected me to pay more for it out of the used case than I can order a brand new one through Gallery of Guns), I've gone back to haunting GB/GI/guns.com and my preferred pusher's website looking for something to grab my fancy. The Traditions (sourced from Pietta) Bill Tilghman .45 Colt is a strong contender and my preferred pusher can get one.

Name:  Traditions-1873-SA-Bill-Tilghman-Model-45-Colt-4-75-CCH-6-Rds-SAT73-110BTM_102471500_23034_14A32.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  36.4 KB

Before leaving the indoor range I belong to, sometimes I peruse the used case. Usually it's range rentals they've put out for sale and the usual Glock/SIG/S&W suspects you normally see in gunshop used cases. Today I saw a stainless birdshead .44 Mag New Vaquero with a 3.75" barrel sitting there. I have no interest in a .44 mag except as a Special and Russian platform so I looked at it through that lens and for just over $700 OTD I am tempted. The sight picture was much better than I anticipated based on my experience with a blued Vaquero and numerous SAA replicas. If I don't like the birdshead frame, I can replace it later on for ~$120.

Researching the Vaquero led me to an interesting discovery. I knew all Vaqueros are New Models and there are Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. Vaqueros were built on the original larger frame from ~1993-2005. In 2005 the New Vaqueros in .357 and .45 Colt came out on the new medium size frame with the Ruger Indexing Pawl System that make it easier to load/unload. What I didn't realize was the .44 Magnums are built on the "old" Vaquero frame but are still marked as "New Vaqueros". I wound up on that particular rabbit trail because the 2 digit sn prefix indicated a 2000-2001 production date which predates the New Vaquero markings. Turns out the large frame New Vaqueros use a 2 digit sn prefix and the medium frame models use a 3 digit prefix.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Well, I just ordered a pre-owned, stainless Ruger Single Six, 5.5”, .22 WMR. No .22 LR cylinder. My other single action sixguns being .45, I had long planned to add a smaller bore.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

For the sake of consolidation since I've posted this in other threads.

There's an interesting article by John Linebaugh at http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

I have seen my wife shoot two or three mule deer and about eight antelope now with a .45 Colt. The load she has used almost exclusively for seven years now is a 260 Keith slug at 900 fps out of a 4 3/4" Seville revolver. This will consistently shoot length ways and exit on mule deer and antelope at 100 yards.

It kills in my estimation better than a .270 or .30-06 class rifle as it acts a lot like an arrow and doesn't excite the animal. They usually show minor hit reaction and trot off 20 to 30 yards. By then they have leaked so much, they are done. No whistles or bells, just honest consistent performance.

I have used this load on two antelope with exacting results. In my early hunting years I used the same 260 gr Keith at 1,400 fps. out of a dozen antelope and one mule deer I have personally taken I can't see that it stops them one bit better than the 900 fps load.
    When the guy who invented the 475 Linebaugh says that a 260-grain slug at 900 fps is big medicine, I listen.

Also this

45 Colt revolvers and ammo are classed in four tiers:

Tier I = Colt SAA and clones, which top out at 14,000 psi. It’s easy to handload a 250-grain SWC or LFN to 1,000 fps, which will meet 99% of your needs. Factory ammo is another story—you might find something like that handload, or you might only find a load with a pointy 180-grain bullet at 600 fps that will barely stay on a pie plate at 25 yards. Test and make careful notes if you have to rely on factory ammo.

Tier II = S&W Model 25 and Ruger Flat Tops, which top out around 23,000 psi. This is a 250-grain jacketed bullet at 1,100 fps, a 280-grain cast bullet at 1,150 fps, or a 318-grain cast bullet at 1,070 fps. Brian Pearce has written excellent articles about handloading to this level in Handloader magazine, most notably in April, 2007. You’ll need those articles, though, because no factory loads this ammo and loading manuals don’t cover it.

Tier III = Ruger New Model Blackhawks (NOT Flat Tops or New Vaqueros), Redhawks, Freedom Arms 97, and similar guns. These top out around 32,000 psi. You can buy this ammo over the counter. It’s expensive and recoil is fierce, but they match the hottest 44 Magnum loads with slightly less pressure. Most sources of loading data call this “45 Colt +P” or “Ruger/TC only.” These loads can destroy a Tier I or Tier II revolver, so many—but not all—of them are intentionally built too long to fit into the cylinder of an SAA or clone.

Tier IV = custom five-shot guns with longer than standard cylinders, which top out around 50,000 psi. These are a handload-only proposition. I had a couple of these guns built by David Clements, and they’ll move a 325-grain bullet an honest 1,400 fps.
    Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Name:  20240118_181523.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  36.8 KB

Nothing special at all, just a .45 Colt Heritage Big Bore (Pietta transfer bar model import). The only gun I hand load for, and my only real “range toy” along with a .22 Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    For the sake of consolidation since I've posted this in other threads.

There's an interesting article by John Linebaugh at http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

When the guy who invented the 475 Linebaugh says that a 260-grain slug at 900 fps is big medicine, I listen.

Also this

Okie John
    Yes, I, too, read this, somewhere along the way, and “listened.” I have some few boxes of the higher-tier/+P ammo, but, it is relegated to lever-action carbine use. Unless it is particularly accurate, in either of our Trapper Carbines, I will probably not buy more.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

When I think about taking a handgun along on a trout fishing
    trip, one of my Ruger Blackhawk SAs come to mind. I have
    usually carried one of the .357s, but a New Model in .41 Magnum
    would also be a possibility.

I also have two SA .22s. One is a Colt and the other a Ruger
    Bearcat, with a three inch barrel. Lack of a good holster for
    either usually keeps them home when I go fishing.

I have hunted small game with the older Ruger .357. Took
    at snowshoe hare with a reloaded .38 Special from it.
    Carried it while deer hunting with a shotgun, as well. Never
    had the occasion to fire it then.

The Blackhawk used to serve as a house gun years ago
    as well. Maybe not the best in that role but better than
    no .357 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Intellectually, I understand this and believe Linebaugh, but I came of age at a time when "make it bigger and drive it faster" was the answer to everything. Until my hands can't take it anymore, I'll be the guy sending 335gr WFN at completely unnecessary velocities.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Old pic of my late 1950s 7.5" Flattop .44 Mag

I wiped the snow away on the shoulder. The 10 grains of Unique, with a 240 hardcast punched right through the shield. Exactly where I was told not to shoot!

User Tag List