Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB: Leather vs Kydex Holsters?

I second the negative experience with Vedder holsters x2. I ordered one for a p228, it did not fit properly and a second attempt also wasn’t right. They did accept the return and give me a prompt refund at least.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Kydex that is LEATHER LINED!

Garrett:
    https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst3000.htm

I currently have two of these. EDC it with my commander sized 9mm 1911.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Broken in leather is very comfortable. Downside is its thicker and absorbs sweat. Kydex is thin and light and can wear finishes quicker. It does not absorb moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Kydex that is LEATHER LINED!

Garrett:
    https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst3000.htm

I currently have two of these. EDC it with my commander sized 9mm 1911.
    Keep an eye on your gun's finish.

Leather will absorb moisture but if it's inside kydex that moisture has nowhere to go but on the gun, at least that's how it was explained to me.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Oily wipe down, every night 😉
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Oily wipe down, every night 😉
    The blue Taurus 856 I picked up used a year ago is the first carbon steel snub I've carried. Prior snubs carried have been stainless, or aluminum or (LCR) half plastic. It picks up rust at the drop of a hat. I'm seriously contemplating getting the alloy ultralight version of it for "sweating season" carry.

I am actually doing an experiment on leather vs kydex holster draws. I did the first test today and I need to crunch the numbers a little, but what I can see there is not a huge difference between the 4 holsters that I tested (5 Shot SME, Garrity Gunleather In-Victus, Tenicor G17 Velo, and a PHLster Enigma with a JMCK shell and a Junk Pillow).

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The 5Shot SME is still the most comfortable holster I've ever used. I carried a P30 in it daily for years.

It was tight on the draw at first. I was OK with that as it made carrying the gun so much more practical on a day-to-day basis that I didn't mind. Eventually it loosened up enough so that there was only a slight bit of drag on the draw. The retention was nice, however, when you're forced to drop trou in a public restroom in an NPE.

Corrosion was never an issue, but I was packing a P30 which as far as I can tell is a pistol that is about as impervious to it as anything on the market.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List