Page 104 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1089

Thread: New revolvers at SHOT/Lipsey's release

I had a chance to handle a 442UC at the Buda, TX Cabelas. It had a little case rash and a trigger lock, but I liked the sights and grips.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

So after my last range session, and some dry fire, I thought I could still feel some grittiness/hitch in the trigger, so I took the side plate off my 442 and started digging. I found a fair amount of some type of grit/debris inside the gun, almost like leftovers from whatever process S&W uses to clean/polish their small parts. Mostly in the nooks and crannies of the hammer itself. There was also a small amount in the firing pin channel. I'm thinking maybe this could be what others are feeling in the triggers, and also may be contributing to some of the reported light strikes folks have been having (I have not had any issues). I also found some rough stamped edges on the mainspring hammer strut, and knocked those down with a few strokes on a stone. After that I cleaned everything up, re-lubed the gun with Slip EWL 30, and put it all back together. The trigger is much smoother now.

I've been dry firing the gun a bit more, and yesterday I took it out and put another 40 rounds through the gun. At this point I'm comfortable carrying it. I may put a Apex or TK Custom trigger kit in it at some point, but as it is the trigger is a lot more manageable than most other stock J-frames I've fired. I think the sights on mine may be regulated a bit high, but not as drastically as what was posted earlier. It may really be me not aligning the sights correctly. I might need to bury the dot farther in the U-notch. I still need to sort that out with more shooting. I have not yet drifted the rear sight, but I'll do so soon. At ranges under 15 yards, its close enough I'm not in a hurry to mess with it.

Does anyone know what the front sight height measurement should be for the .38 versions? .200"?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    So after my last range session, and some dry fire, I thought I could still feel some grittiness/hitch in the trigger, so I took the side plate off my 442 and started digging. I found a fair amount of some type of grit/debris inside the gun, almost like leftovers from whatever process S&W uses to clean/polish their small parts. Mostly in the nooks and crannies of the hammer itself. There was also a small amount in the firing pin channel. I'm thinking maybe this could be what others are feeling in the triggers, and also may be contributing to some of the reported light strikes folks have been having (I have not had any issues). I also found some rough stamped edges on the mainspring hammer strut, and knocked those down with a few strokes on a stone. After that I cleaned everything up, re-lubed the gun with Slip EWL 30, and put it all back together. The trigger is much smoother now.

I've been dry firing the gun a bit more, and yesterday I took it out and put another 40 rounds through the gun. At this point I'm comfortable carrying it. I may put a Apex or TK Custom trigger kit in it at some point, but as it is the trigger is a lot more manageable than most other stock J-frames I've fired. I think the sights on mine may be regulated a bit high, but not as drastically as what was posted earlier. It may really be me not aligning the sights correctly. I might need to bury the dot farther in the U-notch. I still need to sort that out with more shooting. I have not yet drifted the rear sight, but I'll do so soon. At ranges under 15 yards, its close enough I'm not in a hurry to mess with it.

Does anyone know what the front sight height measurement should be for the .38 versions? .200"?
    As far as I know the front sight's are just the standard pin on XS Standard Dot. If there's a height difference between the 32 and 38 i'm guessing it's in the base the sight is pinned to and not in the sight itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    If there's a height difference between the 32 and 38 i'm guessing it's in the base the sight is pinned to and not in the sight itself.
    Correct from everything I’ve seen and read.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Front sights are .187” height and are the same for both the 32 and 38’s. S&W adjust the sight height via the height of the sight base on the shroud.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    A functional J-frame at a good price. What will the Ultimate Carry Line do to M&P 340 and 340PD product lines? Or the folks trying to sell older 432s on GB for 2K? The Ultimate Carry could be a game-changer.
    It has enabled me to recently pick up a fairly nice "Shooter Grade' 432PD for $600--Guess it'll hafta' "Scratch that Itch" for a .32 Mag until I get my hands on a 432UC or 632UC... https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/at...-jpeg.7186743/
    Last edited by mikey357; 05-11-2024 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    Front sights are .187” height and are the same for both the 32 and 38’s. S&W adjust the sight height via the height of the sight base on the shroud.
    Thank you for that info. Also, thanks for making these guns happen. Despite any hiccups, I'm very happy these came to be, and very happy with mine.

Site Supporter
    I picked up my 642 UC Friday afternoon, I lubed and ran a patch through it when I got home,
    the chambers and bore were clean but, it really needed some oil, the gun was dry and kind of stiff but,
    After some oil and working it in everything moves and locks up as it should. The trigger pull is a little over
    10lb but smooth and not much different than my 624 Pro that I just cleaned up the rebound slide and
    hammer strut on with a 9.5 lb pull. The sights will take some for me to get used to as I've never been a
    huge fan of round sight's but, the front sight is bright and it's great to have sights you can see.
    I originally planned to put CT grips on but, I do like the VZ's, the extended trigger reach and fullness make
    the J shoot like a larger gun, the smooth grips are pocketable although a little large, I do think I'll end up
    running CT's though, just because they suit my intended purpose, a rule 1 / bug, in my pocket.
    So far I'm 80 rd's in, having run PMC 132gr, Federal and Georgia Arms 148 wc 5-15 yds, the PMC's shoot
    well seem to hit a little high right but the WC's hit dead nut's drive the dot @ 7-10... Bingo, perfect for my
    application. It's going to take me some time to get used to the sight's but I think Jason and the Lipsey's
    team did quite a job putting the gun together, Thanks Jason, nice job!
    I would say, it's worth taking the time to go over the gun rather just taking it out of the box and loading
    it up, aside from being bone dry, the grip screw wasn't even finger tight and I spaced checking the sight
    set screw as it was either missing or I lost it in the first 60 rds. When time permits, I'll see how it handles
    some Lost River, Fiocchi and Double Tap

So after my last range session, and some dry fire, I thought I could still feel some grittiness/hitch in the trigger, so I took the side plate off my 442 and started digging. I found a fair amount of some type of grit/debris inside the gun, almost like leftovers from whatever process S&W uses to clean/polish their small parts. Mostly in the nooks and crannies of the hammer itself. There was also a small amount in the firing pin channel. I'm thinking maybe this could be what others are feeling in the triggers, and also may be contributing to some of the reported light strikes folks have been having (I have not had any issues). I also found some rough stamped edges on the mainspring hammer strut
    Sounds like a Taurus.

Of the 5 or so J's I have bought new at least 4 needed side plate removed and lube. One I only got about 10 rounds out brfore I could not pull the trigger.

User Tag List