Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single action revolver discusson and general shenanigans

Single action revolver discussion and general shenanigans

I've found a few threads asking specific questions or asking about specific brands/models but not a general catch-all P-F style thread. I'm going to be getting back into the SA game again sooner rather than later so here we are.

Since I started reloading, I've been sorting through the stash of brass I've accumulated over the years. I've got enough 44 Special, Russian, .45 Colt and Autorim brass on hand to make shooting those calibers viable again. And enough .38 and .357 brass to last me...a really long time. Like until I can't shoot anymore or I'm dead as long as I don't get stupid with the load selection.

I started poking around the single action forum I was active on for a while until I got burnt out on most of the gunternet and guntube. That rekindled a lot of interests but I'm keeping the wantsies confined to specific parameters right now: .357/.44 Special/.45 Colt, barrel between 3 and 5 inches, Navy size grip frame. The only use cases are fun at the range and pride of ownership. I have accepted the sights and my eyes generally will not get along and my shooting will reflect that reality. It's nice to have the alibis lined up before the purchase.

So let's have some old fashioned revolver fun!
    Last edited by awp_101; 05-10-2024 at 03:31 PM. Reason: ah kaint spel guud
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .357 Magnum/9mm, with action job and light customization performed under the direction and supervision of the late Chris Peters at Ruger:

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Not a carry gun, at least in 2024. But sometimes pragmatism can't be the end-all, be-all. Sometimes it's worth enjoying something for its own sake.

I never did find a 2nd one, and still believe they should exist in pairs. This is a 2nd gen 1965 .357 magnum. The barrel has the correct 1-11/16" address for the short 4-3/4" barrel at the time. They later I think standardized the address on all barrel lengths. The cylinder has the last 3 of the serial number and the backstrap and triggerguard are numbers matching.

Haven't got around to shooting it yet because it has some endshake. I have shims but never went so far as to find out (yet) how to correctly measure end-shake for a SAA. With a S&W you do it with an empty cylinder. With this, it has endshake when empty but when loaded with snap caps the endshake is 0. I should get around to figuring out whether or not that means I actually need to use the shims before shooting it.

@jh9, occasionally I look for a 1971 like that. I'd be ok with a 1976 (for a while ) but a '71 would be a birth year gun for me.

Lots of pretty pictures of new guns which weren't used much.
    This 1906 Colt has family and WV coal wars history.

Name:  Acc43-206H6grsBullseye25yds.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  38.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_3601.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  29.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Lots of pretty pictures of new guns which weren't used much.
    I think this one was probably misused a bit more than used based on the turn line but that was par for the course.

Name:  saa2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  37.5 KB

My only contribution to the genre. I’ll sit here by the feet of my betters and learn.

Name:  IMG_1917.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  102.8 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List