Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gen 3 G17 stovepipe, need recommendations

If you're using 10 round G17 magazines, DEFINITELY use the orange-followered Gen5 magazines; otherwise, for the 17 rounders, you're fine with the earlier generation G17 magazines.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Great info thanks!

It does have the stock 336 ejector.

I'll have to check out that extractor fit, and I'll polish the sucker if it's tight! (I also have some Apex extractors too that I could try.)

BTW, just that wee bit of oil on the barrel hood after the stove pipe is still making the barrel to slide action so much better than how it felt before the malfunction. I'm really starting to think it was the new finish and a dry, tight fitting barrel, that was the culprit.

Speaking of the 30274 ejector, I just found this regarding possibly using the Gen 5 47021 ejector. Any thoughts on that? I need to get some Gen 5 trigger housings anyway, for spares, and I'll probably take out one of the ejectors and try it out just for kicks.
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gl...47021.1878588/
    I’ve never tried the GEN five ejector in a GEN three.

My understanding is the housings for Gen 1-3 are different than for Gen 4/5 due to the reduced size of the Gen 4/5 grip.

It’s pretty easy to pull the ejector itself out of the housing and swap it to the appropriate housing.

Another component I've used for improving extraction and can recommend is the White Sound H.R.E.D. I've used it on several problematic Gen3 guns that had particularly weak and inconsistent extraction and noticed a definite improvement. Not necessarily the first component I'd go to when diagnosing these issues but, if checking off the boxes and trying to improve the problem, it's certainly an option worth considering.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve never tried the GEN five ejector in a GEN three.

My understanding is the housings for Gen 1-3 are different than for Gen 4/5 due to the reduced size of the Gen 4/5 grip.

It’s pretty easy to pull the ejector itself out of the housing and swap it to the appropriate housing.
    You are exactly right, apparently the ejector itself is pulled out and reinstalled in the Gen 3 trigger housing. I just ordered some and will try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Another component I've used for improving extraction and can recommend is the White Sound H.R.E.D. I've used it on several problematic Gen3 guns that had particularly weak and inconsistent extraction and noticed a definite improvement. Not necessarily the first component I'd go to when diagnosing these issues but, if checking off the boxes and trying to improve the problem, it's certainly an option worth considering.
    Nice, good to know, thanks. I may pick up a couple just to have.

Thinking out loud: I should video my Glock’s ejection pattern, before and after whatever changes I make.

Had a chance to shoot around 200 rounds today:

I cleaned the pistol prior to today’s session.

I used mostly Magtech 124’s, the rest Speer Lawman 124’s, except for two mags of Ranger 124gr +P JHP’s.

I used Glock mags except for a couple of times using Pmags.

No stovepipes while shooting the pistol w mags inserted.

One stovepipe occurred during the only time I shot the pistol without a mag! Didn’t bother trying to reproduce it since I’m pretty sure that Glocks don’t like being shot without a mag.

Going back to using mags produced no stovepipes.

I video taped myself doing doubles with splits down too .16, .17s, and the ejection seemed pretty good.. somewhat surprisingly the ejection seemed fairly energetic toward the 3 - 5 o’clock.

When my 11 yo son shot the pistol the ejection was mostly 5 to 5:30, but with some going out at the 6 o’clock, right over his head.

I did note a few brass strike marks on the right upper corner of the front of the optic housing when I inspected it later. I didn’t appreciate any marks on the glass.

I can upload the videos of me doing doubles w all three different types of ammo on YouTube if anyone is interested.

I’m getting some Gen 5 ejectors soon so I’ll report back with an ejection comparison.

For now, it seems like we can mark this one case closed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For now, it seems like we can mark this one case closed.
    Yeah, I think it was the gun wearing in after the refinish with the tighter aftermarket barrel, possibly compounded by using Pmags.

What I forgot to mention is that, I assumed that the worse looking ejection pattern seen when my son was shooting the pistol was due to a weaker grip, but I just realized that he was also using a PMAG.

Just for kicks I may video myself shooting, using OEM vs PMAG and see if there’s a difference!

I want to thank you all for the super insightful and informative comments. This place is still the best place on the net for great information.

Quick Update:

Successful experiment.

I installed a Gen 5 47021 ejector in my Gen 3.
    I ran around 150 rounds and it functioned perfectly, with the center of the brass pile 4-5 feet away at around 3:30 o’clock.

Just my 2 cents, but the Gen5 ejection is a huge improvement. If you’re going to spend a lot of time/ammo/effort in fixing an okder gun, consider just upgrading to a gen5.

User Tag List