Page 170 of 171 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171 LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1701

Thread: Airplanes

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Helicopter Gurus:

I'm curious about a "formation" of dissimilar news ships I observed flying in close trail earlier today. All three were co-altitude and basically flying in follow-the-leader fashion in circular orbit around an accident. Jet Ranger, EC-135 and an A-Star representing competing stations in the Bay Area. This went on for probably a dozen or more orbits. When the leader altered the orbit, wingmen followed.

I recall the mishap in Phoenix between two ships covering a ground event, among several others.

Is this a recent tactic being promoted by HAI or other industry group? FAA? Does it have a proper name?

Not a RW guy.

Thanks.
    I'm curious as well. I know with some (most/all?) military fixed wings, there's a formation flying system that will work with/like TCAS. I don't know if there's similar built into commercial TCAS systems or even if that system is even in RW aircraft.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Helicopter Gurus:

I'm curious about a "formation" of dissimilar news ships I observed flying in close trail earlier today. All three were co-altitude and basically flying in follow-the-leader fashion in circular orbit around an accident. Jet Ranger, EC-135 and an A-Star representing competing stations in the Bay Area. This went on for probably a dozen or more orbits. When the leader altered the orbit, wingmen followed.

I recall the mishap in Phoenix between two ships covering a ground event, among several others.

Is this a recent tactic being promoted by HAI or other industry group? FAA? Does it have a proper name?

Not a RW guy.

Thanks.
    “Follow the Leader“ or Trail formation- isn’t really a formation I would expect a flight to take if they were trained to operate together. It gives me a very ad hoc vibe; closure rate is much harder to judge in Trail. As they were news birds, I could see ATC giving them special clearances such as given in busy cities such as NYC. A more formal formation would be flying on basically a 45 degree bearing with step up for safety.

I don’t have any news helo contacts but I have several friends flying EMS Ill ask. One is in recurrent right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    “Follow the Leader“ or Trail formation- isn’t really a formation I would expect a flight to take if they were trained to operate together. It gives me a very ad hoc vibe; closure rate is much harder to judge in Trail. As they were news birds, I could see ATC giving them special clearances such as given in busy cities such as NYC. A more formal formation would be flying on basically a 45 degree bearing with step up for safety.
    Same. If this was a local "TTP", agreed upon by all agencies, maybe. But it seems like something you'd utilize irregularly, and requires a level of proficiency to be done safely.

Just a few days left to see it in IMAX, then it'll be on Prime. Anyone see it in the theater?

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Just a few days left to see it in IMAX, then it'll be on Prime. Anyone see it in the theater?

I haven't, yet, but I should.

Your post caused me to check my local IMAX theater schedule for viewing opportunities, and interestingly, considering they fly live over my house a couple of times a week, it isn't listed.

https://navalaviationmuseum.org/thin...creen-theater/

I've got to believe it is being shown, but perhaps it just isn't on their website.

Singapore Airlines Severe Turbulence - Fatality

https://www.yahoo.com/news/singapore...101951045.html

"BANGKOK (Reuters) -One passenger was killed and 30 injured after a Singapore Airlines flight from London hit severe turbulence en route on Tuesday, forcing it to make an emergency landing in Bangkok, officials and the airline said...

...A passenger who was on the flight told Reuters that the incident involved the sensation of rising then falling.

"Suddenly the aircraft starts tilting up and there was shaking so I started bracing for what was happening, and very suddenly there was a very dramatic drop so everyone seated and not wearing a seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling," Dzafran Azmir, a 28-year-old student on board the flight told Reuters.

"Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it," he said."...

This once again shows the durability of modern aircraft (Boeing 77-300ER) to take this kind of abuse and stay together. Rough day for the fragile humans on board.
    ETA https://www.yahoo.com/news/singapore...132139020.html has photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/singapore...101951045.html

"BANGKOK (Reuters) -One passenger was killed and 30 injured after a Singapore Airlines flight from London hit severe turbulence en route on Tuesday, forcing it to make an emergency landing in Bangkok, officials and the airline said...

...A passenger who was on the flight told Reuters that the incident involved the sensation of rising then falling.

"Suddenly the aircraft starts tilting up and there was shaking so I started bracing for what was happening, and very suddenly there was a very dramatic drop so everyone seated and not wearing a seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling," Dzafran Azmir, a 28-year-old student on board the flight told Reuters.

"Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it," he said."...

This once again shows the durability of modern aircraft (Boeing 77-300ER) to take this kind of abuse and stay together. Rough day for the fragile humans on board.
    ETA https://www.yahoo.com/news/singapore...132139020.html has photos.
    What exactly is an "air pocket"? A pocket of low pressure or something like that?

"The Boeing 777 was carrying 229 people at 37,000 feet when the plane abruptly dropped 6,000 feet in roughly two minutes, throwing passengers against the ceiling and around the cabin. Officials identified the deceased as British citizen Geoff Kitchen, who reportedly died of a heart attack during the episode."

Yowza.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

^^^ which is why my lap belt is always buckled when I’m not hitting the head.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List