Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fly United.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Reminds me of the old joke about why the Pope only flew on TWA....
    What, you’re just going to leave us hanging?
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm surprised we don't have a Christian airline with a big Jesus on the vertical stabilizer like the Eskimo on the Alaska aircraft. I hired a contractor to do a shower install and his email address on his card was religious in nature. He didn't give me any discounts. He actually went way over time and cost estimate.
    I consider myself a Christian - daily devotions, daily readings, tithes and works, etc. I generally avoid businesses who use faith in advertising. I'm kind of reminded of the Pharisees and money lending in the Temple.

I kind of wonder, though, in reading through this thread before I replied, why it's okay to pillory Christianity?
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Reminds me of the old joke about why the Pope only flew on TWA....
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    What, you’re just going to leave us hanging?
    "Top W_ _ Aboard" It was probably funnier when the popes were all Italians.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    I consider myself a Christian - daily devotions, daily readings, tithes and works, etc. I generally avoid businesses who use faith in advertising. I'm kind of reminded of the Pharisees and money lending in the Temple.

I kind of wonder, though, in reading through this thread before I replied, why it's okay to pillory Christianity?
    Id like to know too. @Borderland
    If its any consolation Ive had him on ignore since like forever because…well… being Borderland.
    Its a great feature.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Not Christianity. The people who profess to be Christians. Personally, I think people who follow a certain religion are generally better citizens than those who don't. At least they try to follow their religious beliefs whatever those might be. Nice to have a map even though one doesn't always use it.

In my case the woman that I know is an exceptionally caring individual who's raised 3 kids, works full time and loves her family and husband. I happen to think she's a wonderful person in spite of her obvious diversions from her professed religious beliefs.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-06-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My take is that people are pilloring hypocrisy. FWIW.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

As @Totem Polar noted, it's just pilloring hypocrisy. Christianity happens to be the dominant religion in the USA, so you'll most often encounter this with Christianity when in the US. Similarly, if you go to India, you might hear Indians complaining about "saami" trying to rip them off outside a Hindu temple. Saami being the word for god, but also used colloquially for a religious devotee on pilgrimage, volunteering at the temple, or...in this example...someone using religion as an excuse to be a piece of shit.

There's no war on christianity. You're fine.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

When I dealt with people who proclaimed how godly and religious they were, I looked for snakes and evidence of wrongdoing. My dad once said that people who think they are talking to G_d can justify anything they want. I've found out over time that he was dead on. (And that was well before it was revealed that a certain large religious group was skilled at concealing their ordained child molesters.)
    I do know of one restaurant that's pretty open about the owner's Christian beliefs, but they do 'walk the talk' so to speak. For instance, they're willing to give a free coffee & breakfast sandwich to any homeless people that stop by.

And as a Christian in full time ministry, I do get rather annoyed when people try to use my faith as a cover for shady actions and nefarious deeds.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And as a Christian in full time ministry, I do get rather annoyed when people try to use my faith as a cover for shady actions and nefarious deeds.
    haha. Well, let me introduce you to the world of Christian faith-based child adoption agencies...

...NGOs like yours have actually been critical to us in going after these people. You guys often have the on-the-ground knowledge that gives us good leads, since ya'll typically know who's shady and who's legit.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Id like to know too. @Borderland
    If its any consolation Ive had him on ignore since like forever because…well… being Borderland.
    Its a great feature.
    I wasn't referring to Borderland in particular, in fact my post pretty much agreed with his thoughts on religious advertising.

I have to admit that I'm not particularly good at writing to the point I want to make. I had a pretty good reputation as a writer of handouts and hand books, but I spent hours going over them to be sure, on the internet I've developed the habit of typing on the fly.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List