Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why or Why Not an HSC 380 or an Ortgies 32?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Is a 230 or 232 definitely something to get before they dry up then? Even if unlikely to actually carry often, though I suppose if I ever meet a woman again I like and somewhat trust it could be a loaner or nice gift down the road.

Top of list of .380s to get?
    230 or 232
    Beretta 84 or BDA
    Beretta 1934

Sound about right or any others to strongly consider?

What about
    Astra A400 or something like that double stack 380 even if not wanting to have to Dremel Beretta mags

Speaking off Astra 300 400 600

Modern ones I would consider down the road Bersa Plus and Ruger Security 380
    I'm going to again reiterate that blowback 380s are generally not pleasant to shoot. Both women I had shoot my P232SL refused to even finish the magazine. This was the SL model, which is heavier than the aluminum frame version you're interested in. That version will be even more unpleasant.

They're an objectively terrible choice to give a person with small hands/low grip strength.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Ok, so why not just get a Glock 19 and call it good???

Ok, now that I've got that out of my system....In a .380/9x18 Makarov classic, I'd recommend a CZ 83, a Makarov, a Beretta 1934, a Beretta 84/85. For "cool" style points, a FN 1910 (the very late production variants actually had demi-decent sights...), a Remington Model 51, etc.

The Mauser HSc and SIG P230 do not have great reputations for durability.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    P230s/P232s are cool. I had an all-stainless P230 and two blued alloy P230s--one of which was actually Japanese police overrun in .32. Kinda wish I still had that puppy.

Still, I personally prefer the Beretta Cheetah. I find my 85 more comfortable to shoot--and I feel like I shoot it better than the P230s I had. But if I cold only have one blowback blaster... I think it would be my East German Makarov. It shoots a bit softer than the Cheetah and seems just as accurate. Plus, 9x18 makes slightly bigger holes than capitalist 9mm cartridges.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-03-2024 at 11:06 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I like nice looking

Sick of plastic strikers though 1 is in my main carry rotation when want lighter weight. There is only one plastic 9 I desire right now and that has two hammers...p30sk LEM but more modern capacity mags and night sights so even picky on finding that.

I like DA/SA more than most or decent SA or good to great Striker triggers or light lem etc

I like well placed thought out safeties and better decocker, say a CZ50 or CZ70 but I haven't held and heard small and not best Ergos, also heavy

Didn't know 230s weren't that durable, seemed like a ton of Feds/Secret Service types always liked them for off duty and retirement back in the day...Maybe just because 228 or 229 orgs... But it seems 230s are way more enjoyable then the PP stuff in .380 anyways, though a PP in 32 I bet is nice.

I've shot tons and tons and tons of different pistols just not a ton of old stuff.

Until it's 44 mag It's just grab and shoot doesn't make difference even timed drills by much until over 357 for me...while doing it except the next day and lasting which is starting to rear it's head more

But I guess grip thickness dictates a lot to many people...like og lcp I just crush and shoot while others think it's nasty

I know I would love shooting Beretta 81 which I have before or 84 just ammo cost on the former and a bit less on the later. Would prefer BDA for decocker, or less good looking 84F perhaps

I'd likely only realistically carry a 380 a bit in the future if it was a double stack and fed hydrashok deep as 1st choice or at least Gold Dots or XTPs. An 84 could work but have to load and decock before leaving range...I don't want to be doing that in house. Fully loaded I think an 84 is still light I think for a belt carry which may become more necessary in the future though modern Micro9s are dang light.

See my post in other thread that very logically says the only two kinds of actually good glocks in 2024...with the 1st not being made by glock and the other being free duty issued ones that actually saved your life.
    If I was so boring to carry a G19 like everybody else I would prefer the robbers just shoot me and not carry. If you mandate me carry one I would want it to be a gen 5 but even then....

Given prices just as a shooter I might want to get a 1934 it might scratch wanting a classic itch for less than others and would pair with an 84 for a fun range day too at some point.

SIG P230 and 232 are more durable than Walther PP and PPk. No issues.

Purists do not care for the powder metal parts in the P232 but having used both I have zero concerns. Either are more durable than Walthers.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    P230s/P232s are cool. I had an all-stainless P230 and two blued alloy P230s--one of which was actually Japanese police overrun in .32. Kinda wish I still had that puppy.

Still, I personally prefer the Beretta Cheetah. I find my 85 more comfortable to shoot--and I feel like I shoot it better than the P230s I had. But if I cold only keep one blowback blaster... I think it would be my East German Makarov.
    Cheers,
    I think I would like a Mak a lot but getting into that caliber makes less sense than the other two. Held a TT33 or Tok the other day and very nice, and assume kind of like a 1908...if they only were condition 1 drop safe guns they were great size weight carry guns in effective enough calibers way back when. The PPU Tok JHP expands and Penetrates well, in a modern gun that would have been cool when that cartridge was brought in on the cheap.

I should have bid on a very rare Japanese 38 Revo a couple months ago but it was getting higher than I was ready to go
    Shooting and owning enjoyment wise just in 380
    would likely go 84, 230, 1934 it sounds like though I love the lines of the HSC

.32 makes less sense, but a PP, 1903, 1935, hsc, Mauser, Ortgies, 81 seem all like great guns to own and that's a big .32 rabbit hole...ammo more expensive but some of them can be bought a still decent prices...

Cool

The best.32s are the double stack Berettas and the SIG P230 fed Euro Heavy (77-grain) ball. If OK with handoads assemble 93-grain FMJ .30 Luger, 7.62x25 Combloc steel core pulls or .309" diameter Hornady XTO at 0.96 OAL with 3 grains of AutoComp.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    SIG P230 and 232 are more durable than Walther PP and PPk. No issues.

Purists do not care for the powder metal parts in the P232 but having used both I have zero concerns. Either are more durable than Walthers.
    Well, you convinced me earlier to watch all of them...
    In 380
    Do they feed JHPs ok? either xtps or gold dots would work for me though with Gold Dot data Dutch loading with FMJ alternating kinda sorta makes sense . It would be a decent getting older carry gun for me, though again micro9s are light and likely recoil about the same if not less.
    How hard is shooting 50 rounds on the hands? I do need to start thinking about these things...
    I'd honestly be more likely to carry in the future a 230 or 84 then a snub as a belt gun due to capacity

Also, millions of .32s around the world for a very long time...
    how come we never heard much about rimlock issues way back then
    Are you telling me all the fmj made in all the countries all had a more uniformly long OAL before
    I know the shorter later jhps can be a problem but still...
    Was anyone writing about rimlock jams in 32s

My keyboard is malfing and so is my brain....goodnight

They feed JHP if ctg. OAL exceeds 0.95".

Prefer flat nosed FMJ to ensure adequate penetration over 14" in calibrated gel.

Rimlock in .32 ACP is an issue in short rounds less than 0.95" which permit rounds to shuffle in the stack.

If cartridge OAL exceeds 0.95" there is no issue.

User Tag List