Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post

And a Panerai for special occasions. There are several i like and have always been fascinated with them aesthetically. Big diameter case and classic colorway that just does it for me.

A basic luminor will do.

https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...base-logo.html

Eventually I'll get back into watches. I only had half a dozen hobby grade (sub 1k) watches when i did dabble but sold them as other interests arose. They don't actually play an important role in my life but i did enjoy them for enjoyment sake.
    I admit to normally not liking 'square' cases - but the Pam Radiomir is a beautiful watch to me. I know folks tend to like the Luminor for its protected crown - but the Radiomir is just...elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'll go more into use case:

Field/EDC watch. Environments from Bio Labs, college classroom, to spelunking in ice caves, walking field transects in the Snake River range, rappelling into caves in the Mojave, running an air chisel and welding in my home garage.

Musts: Analog. Accurate. Hack complication. 40mm or less case size.

Prefer: Mechanical (hand wind is fine). Arabic numerals at 3-6-9-12, second hashes, minimalist design**. Decent brand recognition among non-watch nerds*.

Budget: $1k - I might be able to squeeze this up to $2500. So you can recommend in the range from 0-2500 but the top end will need to be compelling (and I know it's a low top end for big brands).

*I say this - because this thing has to be a statement about not just function but form.

**remember this is a guy who likes 1911s and Colt revolvers built before 1955 and cars built before 1973.
    Maybe the Seiko SPB379.

Or the Seiko SPB121 (the SPB117 has a black face with a bracelet).

Or possibly the Seiko SPB143 if you're willing to forgo the Arabic numbers requirement.

I have been compiling the list of watches we seem to like under a G:

Victorinox
    Marathon Quartz
    G-Shocks of various stripes

I'm a bit surprised no one has said Seiko?

Has anyone tried any of the Bertucci field watches? Their TI case variants are aesthetically pleasing (to me).

---

I'll go more into use case:

Field/EDC watch. Environments from Bio Labs, college classroom, to spelunking in ice caves, walking field transects in the Snake River range, rappelling into caves in the Mojave, running an air chisel and welding in my home garage.

Musts: Analog. Accurate. Hack complication. 40mm or less case size.

Prefer: Mechanical (hand wind is fine). Arabic numerals at 3-6-9-12, second hashes, minimalist design**. Decent brand recognition among non-watch nerds*.

Budget: $1k - I might be able to squeeze this up to $2500. So you can recommend in the range from 0-2500 but the top end will need to be compelling (and I know it's a low top end for big brands).

*I say this - because this thing has to be a statement about not just function but form.

**remember this is a guy who likes 1911s and Colt revolvers built before 1955 and cars built before 1973.
    My watch is a Seiko Field/EDC auto but its a $150 watch, not $1k. 42mm. Been wearing it for a year, its about 15 seconds/day fast but that doesnt bother me. Every few days I just roll it back a min or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Maybe the Seiko SPB379.

Or the Seiko SPB121 (the SPB117 has a black face with a bracelet).

Or possibly the Seiko SPB143 if you're willing to forgo the Arabic numbers requirement.
    I don't understand how over $1k with a Seiko gets you +25/-15 seconds a day accuracy. My reentry into watches was via a Timex titanium automatic that I bought as special run from Huckberry for $400. One morning I got into the car at what I thought was 545 am to leave for a match. Charlie was just milling around, and I started to get pissed. After some fussing, we figured out the problem -- my Timex was fourteen minutes fast. Turns out is was gaining 40 seconds a day, and when I called them, learned that was "within" spec. Back it went to Huckberry and I have been on a slippery slope ever since , aided and abetted by a PF long time member. David, you know who you are. I have also managed to drag YVK into this, and I think a reason he is visiting Japan is so he can go to Grand Seiko joints.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There is some segment of the population that views watches as jewelry. There are many others that view a watch as a tool. Pilots especially appreciate a second time zone feature and easy ability to adjust to local time.

Flying in the left seat with the doors off this morning, I realized I was one spring bar from losing my tool out the ship. Probably will switch to a NATO or defstan strap.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't understand how over $1k with a Seiko gets you +25/-15 seconds a day accuracy. My reentry into watches was via a Timex titanium automatic that I bought as special run from Huckberry for $400. One morning I got into the car at what I thought was 545 am to leave for a match. Charlie was just milling around, and I started to get pissed. After some fussing, we figured out the problem -- my Timex was fourteen minutes fast. Turns out is was gaining 40 seconds a day, and when I called them, learned that was "within" spec. Back it went to Huckberry and I have been on a slippery slope ever since , aided and abetted by a PF long time member. David, you know who you are. I have also managed to drag YVK into this, and I think a reason he is visiting Japan is so he can go to Grand Seiko joints.
    When selecting mechanical watches, the accuracy rating must really be considered. Watches in that price range with that accuracy rating are not uncommon. That is the highest accuracy rating I have seen on any watch costing less than 4 figures. With careful shopping, one can find better.

This watch comes with a top grade (similar to COSC but not independently tested) Swiss movement for US$1,168.31. When an ETA or Sellita movement is specified without the grade, you can usually assume it is the lowest grade, and I have seen watches costing twice as much with an unspecified grade movement.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...automatic-mk-2
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Watches are like guns. Only accurate and reliable ones are interesting.

Accuracy for me is +/- 10 seconds a day, with a strong preference of <2 seconds/day. Reliability is that I can fall off a cliff and it still runs and keeps accurate time.

I'm not actually all that tied to mechanical watches EXCEPT I prefer a smooth second hand sweep to a tick.

The various Seikos I've owned are nice watches at $250 but a sundial is more precise time measuring device, in my experience.

I think your accuracy wants/needs are going to be above your wanted budget, or a solar watch may be more inline with it.

Also the smaller case head for a durable do anything watch may be more difficult in this time of big tool watches.

Tag Heuer has a line of 40mm and 34mm solar Aquaracers. Should be pretty tough, smaller and still a good looking watch that keeps good time.

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timep...uer-aquaracer/

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have also managed to drag YVK into this, and I think a reason he is visiting Japan is so he can go to Grand Seiko joints.
    I came back from Tokyo a few weeks ago, and Ginza had Seiko/Grand Seiko/Seiko Museum. I resisted the great urge to buy something from Grand Seiko.

Watches are like guns. Only accurate and reliable ones are interesting.

Accuracy for me is +/- 10 seconds a day, with a strong preference of <2 seconds/day. Reliability is that I can fall off a cliff and it still runs and keeps accurate time.

I'm not actually all that tied to mechanical watches EXCEPT I prefer a smooth second hand sweep to a tick.

The various Seikos I've owned are nice watches at $250 but a sundial is more precise time measuring device, in my experience.
    To reach the "<2 seconds a day" is where you end up paying the most dollars. This is Rolex and up territory for the most part (unless you go Spring drive and Grand Seiko; a few other small Japanese makers use it but that costs even more).

As to the "falling off the cliff" part, most watches (mechanical or quartz) won't handle it (though the edge goes to the higher end quartz, but that costs too), though it depends on how hard you land and from which height.

One thing I didn't see in your requirements is anti magnetism. Is this not a problem for you or one you didn't think about?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List