Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

If only two, it would be two watches that I don’t even own. One G-Shock Mudmaster solar (do have the non-solar one), two Omega Seamaster 300 with a bracelet.
    Last edited by Crusader; 04-24-2024 at 11:23 PM.

I was the dorky kid that wore one of these in high school and college. But now a phone does all that and more, so why bother with a watch? I haven't worn one in probably 10 or 12 years. I think I have a G-Shock lying around somewhere that I used to time myself while running.

Fantasy/grail: Breitling Aerospace, I know I’m weird.

From my current stock, probably my Marathon Navigator and/or Sangin K2 Expedition.

As much as love diving, a computer eliminates any competition in a 1-2 piece inventory.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I just destroyed my third automatic watch so I’m only considering solar, hand-winding, or quartz (in that order) right now.

The first was a Rolex no-date Sub that I bought new when I finished the Special Forces Q Course in 1984. I banged it on the door of a C-130 on a jump one night and it started losing 15 minutes per day. Nothing is more embarrassing than showing up late for everything while wearing a watch that cost two month’s pay. The AD sent it back to Switzerland but were total dicks about it, plus it took Rolex nearly a year to get it back to me. Strike One.

When I got the Sub back, I traded straight across for a GMT Master. A few years later, I was adjusting the time on a flight from Ft. Lewis to Thailand—exactly what that watch was designed to do—when the stem came out in my hand. Venus Jewelers in Bangkok fixed it quickly for $30, but still, Strike Two. Ended up selling it to fund a divorce.

Strike Three was a Seiko 5 SRPG 27 that I bought about a year ago. These watches are known for being rugged. This one was gorgeous, but a 4-foot drop onto a carpeted floor damaged the bracelet and it started losing 3 minutes per day. I sent it back to Seiko, who emailed me to say that they want $199 to even look at it, which is more than I paid for it.

Domo arigato, but NFW.

I’ll stick to my solar Citizen BM-6400E. I’ve got a 1974 Benrus field watch, but it’s likely too fragile to wear when I’m washing my hands so it may go down the road to fund another Citizen or a hand-winding Hamilton.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Only one: this, the 36mm version.

Two? Well, I have an Ares D-1 and an SAS Air, so that’s that. Sport, and sportcoat.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I just destroyed my third automatic watch so I’m only considering solar, hand-winding, or quartz (in that order) right now.

The first was a Rolex no-date Sub that I bought new when I finished the Special Forces Q Course in 1984. I banged it on the door of a C-130 on a jump one night and it started losing 15 minutes per day. Nothing is more embarrassing than showing up late for everything while wearing a watch that cost two month’s pay. The AD sent it back to Switzerland but were total dicks about it, plus it took Rolex nearly a year to get it back to me. Strike One.

When I got the Sub back, I traded straight across for a GMT Master. A few years later, I was adjusting the time on a flight from Ft. Lewis to Thailand—exactly what that watch was designed to do—when the stem came out in my hand. Venus Jewelers in Bangkok fixed it quickly for $30, but still, Strike Two. Ended up selling it to fund a divorce.

Strike Three was a Seiko 5 SRPG 27 that I bought about a year ago. These watches are known for being rugged. This one was gorgeous, but a 4-foot drop onto a carpeted floor damaged the bracelet and it started losing 3 minutes per day. I sent it back to Seiko, who emailed me to say that they want $199 to even look at it, which is more than I paid for it.

Domo arigato, but NFW.

I’ll stick to my solar Citizen BM-6400E. I’ve got a 1974 Benrus field watch, but it’s likely too fragile to wear when I’m washing my hands so it may go down the road to fund another Citizen or a hand-winding Hamilton.

Okie John
    ========================

I am with you on Rolex issues !

Rolex supposed toughness, hah !

I used to scuba dive circa 1975. Always wanted a Rolex Sea Dweller. Used a Seiko mechanical $160 watch that held up perfectly, it lost a few minutes a month. No big deal. Seiko survived several dirt motorcycle mishaps.

1984 I bought the Rolex Sea Dweller $1168. It did not keep better time !

I was not diving much but I had my grail. UNTIL.

I was training hard style Karate.
    We used makiwari striking posts, wood with 1/2” leather pad.
    After class, shower, putting a suit back on, a student asked me about the use of the striking post. Rolex was on my left wrist.

I struck once with a left punch about 1/2 power to demonstrate.

$384 in repairs later, I got my Rolex back. WTAF. That day to this, I could care less about a Rolex.

I still have it but wear a G shock, Citizens Titanium Eco - Drive, Seiko.

It'd be the same Citizen Eco-Drive I've been wearing for 10 years.

Extremely accurate, comfortable, and it appears, built to last.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Full disclosure: I own both listed below.

One Watch-Casio Oceanus T100
    Titanium/Solar/Atomic/Sapphire/AR coating/applied indices/Sallaz case polish/easy change world timer/sub 400USD

Name:  IMG_0048.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  39.3 KB

Two- Casio World Timer
    Waterproof enough for my use case/legible/world timer-dual timer/unlike many other Casio, THIN ENOUGH to get under a long sleeve shirt cuff/Sub 25 USD

Name:  IMG_0049.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  25.6 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Two watches? I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Five, maybe - all from my watch box:

Sinn U1BT
    Sinn U2S
    Citizen Stiletto 1990s tank case solar dress watch
    A cheap quartz Timex
    Apple Watch
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    It'd be the same Citizen Eco-Drive I've been wearing for 10 years.

Extremely accurate, comfortable, and it appears, built to last.
    Gratuitous picture.

Name:  IMG_20240425_090235074.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  28.8 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List