Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna make my own Stack-A-Toe, but better...with blackjack. And hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    This thread convinced me to pick up a m&p 2.0 5”, in peanut butter of course. Unfortunately, Apex barrels seem to be sold out everywhere. I will just put my name on the notification list and wait like everybody else.
    Does anyone make a decent set of adjustable sites for this pistol? The LPA ones I see for S&W don’t have a great description for fitment, but I think they are for only third generation semi auto pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another question too, for you or anyone that would know...Is the peanut butter just cerakote? The website seems to say Armornite but I can't tell if it's just the boilerplate M&P description.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    Does anyone make a decent set of adjustable sites for this pistol? The LPA ones I see for S&W don’t have a great description for fitment, but I think they are for only third generation semi auto pistols.
    I have not found any adjustable sights and I looked. I finally settled on Dawson's fixed sights.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    I have not found any adjustable sights and I looked. I finally settled on Dawson's fixed sights.
    A Google search showed 4 makers of adjustable sights for the M&P. My guess is that none is as serviceable as the fixed sight that you selected. I entered adjustable sights and S&W M&P. Bingo,

Site Supporter
    I'm an apologist for S&W semi-auto handguns. As a kid I burned up large amounts of corrosive WW2 surplus ammo through an early Model 39 that my dad bought used for $40. I didn't know these pistols had problems until I read it in a gun magazine. Before UPS and FED EX ammo was shipped by rail. The guy at the Express Office would call you to pick it up. Nobody cared that a skinny 14 year old showed up to claim the box.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    When I had my 2.0, I had a Williams adjustable on mine. Worked just fine.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ec...etition-070962
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Another question too, for you or anyone that would know...Is the peanut butter just cerakote? The website seems to say Armornite but I can't tell if it's just the boilerplate M&P description.
    I think it's just Cerakote. I have two of the FDE M&P pistols, and both of them showed wear spots very shortly after I started doing dry fire with presentation from a kydex holster. My black colored M&P pistols with significantly more use and holster presentations show almost no wear.

I'm about to have a 5" slide cut for an optic and then refinished, and i'll probably go with a nitride finish instead of keeping the Cerakote.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A Google search showed 4 makers of adjustable sights for the M&P. My guess is that none is as serviceable as the fixed sight that you selected. I entered adjustable sights and S&W M&P. Bingo,
    Willie - I'm pleased and surprised. I bought my 2.0 in April 2017 (I looked at my log) and at the time couldn't find any. I have it shooting where I want now, but will probably either get in line for fiber optic novaks or get the HiViz for my police surplus .40 and .45.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Any updates

How is the durability of the “stack a toe”
    Holding up?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    How is the durability of the “stack a toe”
    Holding up?
    I broke the trigger return spring on my training gun week before last when I was doing a practice session. It's not surprising as when I'd bought that trigger kit from Apex they had stopped including the heavier TRS in the package. They still have them, however, and I was able to call them up and order more. The 2.0 Compact I built has the heavier TRS that probably lasts significantly longer with dryfire and live fire.

The training gun is my dryfire gun, so in addition to the 8,000 rounds or so the gun has through it there are a whole bunch of dryfires stacked on top of it. So the TRS breaking isn't a shock.

Apart from that, the guns have been running splendidly. The only stoppages I've experienced with either have been shooting support hand only with FMJ ammo (tends to catch a stovepipe like a double feed) as the barrel and slide fit were wearing in, and a few dud rounds where the issue was obviously the ammo.

Optics haven't budged.

Accuracy with both is still excellent. I haven't shot either for groups since I got them zeroed, but in the rounds fired I've not seen any bullet holes I can't explain by my own failures.

In the Professional Pistolcraft Instructor class late last year, my buddy Ashton's optic came loose and he didn't have a zeroed backup. So we took the top end of my training gun (slide, barrel, recoil spring) and put it on his frame and it ran splendidly. So apparently even the careful fitting job I did on the barrel doesn't preclude it from dropping on another gun and running, at least not now that it's well broken in.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    There is a bit of an unfortunate update to the Toe concept.

Apex is no longer selling semi drop-in barrels.

They give their explanation at the link above, but the upshot is that they've seen enough variation in the dimensions of the slides from S&W that they want to ensure that their barrels deliver the accuracy expected and the semis were dropping right in with no fitting on some customer guns due to variations in how S&W is manufacturing slides.

The upshot of the link is that from here on out, they will only be selling the gunsmith fitted barrels...but this isn't as bad as you would think.

The 2.0 and beyond gunsmith fitted barrels only have extra material on the barrel hood and the fitting pad on the underside of the barrel. It fits in exactly the same way as the semi drop-in barrels, it simply has more material on the two key fitting areas (length of barrel hood, fitting pad beneath) that you may have to remove to get to the fit you want.

Apex also offers fitting services.

I'm perfectly comfortable fitting the barrel myself because I had the chance to actually learn what I'm looking for directly from Randy Lee. It's not hard, but there is some "feel" to it. If you're not comfortable with it or don't trust your ability to be patient to remove material from your barrel one stroke of the file at a time, Apex's fitting services will be a good choice.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List