Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: TISAS 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It does aid concealment but I agree with Trooper224. The issue with bobtail grips don’t necessarily manifest in casual shooting. It’s some thing that usually manifest working from a holster under time pressure.
    I seent it. My Dan Wesson CCO, which I've shot a lot, has a very minor bobtail (but is officer's length), and exhibits the behavior.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I seent it. My Dan Wesson CCO, which I've shot a lot, has a very minor bobtail (but is officer's length), and exhibits the behavior.
    This contributed to my decision to part ways with my Dan Wesson PM-Cs. They were really nice and easy to carry but I ended up not liking the short, slightly rounded grip frame as much as I thought I would.

In my mind, the bobtail is a compromise solution much like an S&W J frame or a .32 auto. Not ideal, but handy enough that you live with it. I'm keeping an eye on the company. If they introduce a lightweight Commander variant with a standard frame (that isn't the Aviator), the Stingray may go into the safe as a spare.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Lmao dude what flinching?

That's some impressive shooting.
    Those groups are when I didn’t flinch😉

Thanks for the helpful info folks.

I live in a small town so going to a store & finding one in stock to hold/handle is an issue.

Chris

Name:  20240130_193900.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  101.3 KB

Well, other than new grips for the Stingray (something sexy, I haven't decided what), I think this pair is in their final form.

I replaced numerous parts, with the Tank Commanders extractor being the only one neccesitated by defect. Everything else was from personal preference, or my tinkerers desire to make good better.

The following work was done:

The TC had more replaced consisting of the following: EGW barrel bushing, spring plug, slide stop and thumb safety. Harrison trigger and a Wilson plunger spring assembly.

The Stingray also received and EGW bushing and plug, along with a Harrison trigger and 10-8 grip screws and a Wilson plunger spring assembly.

Both pistols shot well. "Good enough for Government work" as the old saying goes. The bushings were installed in an attempt to further tighten their accuracy, and the results were very satisfactory. The TC received an oversized slide stop as an attempt to eliminate downward play at the rear of the barrel. While this was fairly successful, some down play remained. The slide stop took two hours to fit and the juice really wasn't worth the squeeze. Consequently, the Stingray goes without. In order to lock it up tight I'd have to play trial and error with the barrel link and it's not really worth the hassle. The bushings alone provided enough improvement.

The TC received a new thumb safety because the factory unit proved to be overly sharp and uncomfortable. I went with this EGW safety because I had it on hand. I've actually found it to be quite satisfactory, so it stays. I can live with the ambi on the Stingray, so it stays too. My youngest son now has two Tisas 1911s. I've worked on a sample of four and the consistency in their tolerances has been impressive. They're not built to match specs and the tolerances are very service grade out of the box, but calipers don't lie.

Consistency in the guns has been greater than that of the parts used, with rather significant differences in the supposedly made to measure bushings by EGW, which were ordered to the same spec. I'm only offering that as an observation to illustrate the consistency in the pistols manufacturing, not as a criticism of EGW. Few things on a 1911 are ever truly drop-in, regardless of advertising. I've read interwebz rumors of soft steel used in these guns. Having now taken a file to them I can say, that hasn't been my observation.

Including the gun's and associated parts, I have a total of $700 in the Stingray and $650 in the Tank Commander. This is far below the base cost of other offerings in the 1911 production niche, for what are now objectively better pistols. Working on these pistols has revealed no unpleasant surprises, but a few pleasant ones regarding the aforementioned tolerances. If you're looking for a base gun, these are excellent candidates.

Other than the Stingrays grips, the only other contemplated change might be the TCs sights. I'm thinking of sending the slide off to John Harrison for his retro rear sight and a gold bead front sight. But, that's off in the future.

Both pistols have now passed the 1k round mark and are humming along. Now that I'm satisfied with them, the only thing left to do is keep shooting and see how they hold up.

Why put off until tommorow what you should do today? I talked to John Harrison, the slide's off in the mail this week.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Why put off until tommorow what you should do today? I talked to John Harrison, the slide's off in the mail this week.
    He’s a 45 minute drive from me. If I find a TC or Desperado I’m headed his way.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    HeÂ’s a 45 minute drive from me. If I find a TC or Desperado IÂ’m headed his way.
    I've never had him do a gun up for me, I don't live that high on the mountain. But, I have used a lot of his parts and they've been uniformly excellent. The small jobs I've had him do have been well done. Seems like a nice guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've never had him do a gun up for me, I don't live that high on the mountain. But, I have used a lot of his parts and they've been uniformly excellent. The small jobs I've had him do have been well done. Seems like a nice guy too.
    He’s retired from building guns but he’ll install his own parts. At least here on a walk in basis.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List