Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    Many Corvette enthusiasts on the Corvette forums are VERY strongly opposed to the ERay even though it's a "Performance Hybrid" that you can't even plug in. It's engineered for very fast acceleration (quicker than the Z06, which is basically a street-legal race car) — not designed to save gas, and they still don't like it because of the "EV stigma" and the fact that it's technically a hybrid.
    I think the stigma comes from the government mandates.
    I have not read up on the ERay, but I liked the idea of the NSX being hybrid in that the front drivetrain being electric and capable of torque vectoring, bringing additional functionality that would be not so simple with an ICE AWD setup.

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    A "$30k Miata that would accelerate like a C8" would be awesome, but what you're getting with a C8 is a $70k Corvette that's quicker than most European exotics that cost 3+ times more.
    I should have just said 2.5sec, rather than draw the comparison to the Corvette. I just think EVs should be less expensive because they are simple, not more expensive as they are currently marketed to the exotic and luxury segments. And I think most sporty cars are driven for fun on nice days on local trips or excursions. I have done many long trips in my Focus ST (business and pleasure) but my life has evolved and not so much anymore. So if I could replace it with something that was funner and cheaper that recharged in the garage it would be sitting in anyway, that would be an interesting alternative.

OTOH if you mandate that I need to replace my F-150 that will tow my boat over 300mi and "recharge" in the time it takes to pee with something that will only go ~100mi and I need to drop the trailer and spend 40-60min twice just to get back from the lake, imma gonna say My Cold Dead Hands!!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    But when you trade your tailpipe for a smokestack you get to brag about it at parties...
    Not at any party that would invite me.... lol..

Good friend currently drives a hybrid. I like hybrids just fine. It's plug-ins that make me facepalm.
    Good friend was over for dinner before Christmas and starts talking about buying a Lucid. My wife gave him shit before I could even gather my thoughts.
    We're all for "Clean", but we're not for false gods.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I did a search, Jeep didnt show in this thread.

Was watching this the other day, at about minute 29:00 they were looking at 2 EVs, one may be a custom hybrid (wasnt paying close attention), the second looks like a Jeep concept rig that may be available soon. No idea of the range, but it looks like its built to be functional on the Moab trails and other offroad stuff.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I did a search, Jeep didnt show in this thread.

Was watching this the other day, at about minute 29:00 they were looking at 2 EVs, one may be a custom hybrid (wasnt paying close attention), the second looks like a Jeep concept rig that may be available soon. No idea of the range, but it looks like its built to be functional on the Moab trails and other offroad stuff.

Matt is always running out of gas, so I wonder how an EV would work for him.

I looked at the range for Subaru or Toyota, which is what we drive. Range is around 225 miles. Yesterday I drove 170 miles, which is not a normal day, but not unusual. EV won't work for me for an every day driver. I like to keep my gas tank at least half full and top off at half.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Matt is always running out of gas, so I wonder how an EV would work for him.

I looked at the range for Subaru or Toyota, which is what we drive. Range is around 225 miles. Yesterday I drove 170 miles, which is not a normal day, but not unusual. EV won't work for me for an every day driver. I like to keep my gas tank at least half full and top off at half.

I dont think theyre up to par for the sort of thing he does, especially if they have to go far for a recovery but it seems they are making advancements as time goes on in general. It was just interesting seeing Jeep getting in the game as far as they are, as well as I believe the custom hybrid one on the older body/chassis.

It seems Matt is getting better about the gas thing, theyve been pretty merciless in razzing him about it. He takes it well though.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

At least one local Ford dealer purchased the required superchargers from Ford) it’s about 600,000 worth of equipment sitting in the garage because in the great state of Washington in the fine city of Seattle, we don’t have the grid infrastructure for them to work. Likely several years before they’ll be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Not at any party that would invite me.... lol..

Good friend currently drives a hybrid. I like hybrids just fine. It's plug-ins that make me facepalm.
    Good friend was over for dinner before Christmas and starts talking about buying a Lucid. My wife gave him shit before I could even gather my thoughts.
    We're all for "Clean", but we're not for false gods.
    My girlfriend's lease on her 2021 Toyota Venza (midsize hybrid SUV) is up in two weeks. We've taken stock of the market, EVs, gas, hybrid, and have decided to stick with the Venza and buy it from the lease for its residual value.

I don't particularly like the Venza...Id really much prefer an Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan. The infotainment system alone makes me want to set the car on fire, but thankfully I'm somewhat of a luddite that eschews the utility of such systems to begin with. Otherwise, I have a hard time making an argument for anything else when I can drive that thing on a 250mi road trip with excessive, inefficient highway speeds and still get 35mpg...or 37mpg normally, or 42mpg if I take it easy like when driving around town.

It's sort of like a Glock. I just can't find a reason to fault it for everyday use, even if there's something with more sparkle out there. The only thing it excels at is how perfect it is as an A to B daily driver.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I should have just said 2.5sec, rather than draw the comparison to the Corvette. I just think EVs should be less expensive because they are simple, not more expensive as they are currently marketed to the exotic and luxury segments. And I think most sporty cars are driven for fun on nice days on local trips or excursions. I have done many long trips in my Focus ST (business and pleasure) but my life has evolved and not so much anymore. So if I could replace it with something that was funner and cheaper that recharged in the garage it would be sitting in anyway, that would be an interesting alternative.
    On cars.com:
    - 2018 Model 3 Performance, 3.5s 0-60, with higher miles for $20k these days.
    - 2021 M3P, 2.9s 0-60, $31k with 60k miles. These cars are pretty dang fast.

Direct from Tesla (near DC) is a 2021 Model 3 Performance for $41k with 29k miles on it. Tesla sells used cars for a premium but they come with extra warranty which might be tempting.

So its in the ballpark for ~3s 0 to 60, easily do 250 miles, and $20-31k on cars.com. 2021 is a sweet spot for the Tesla Model 3.

These aren't 4-door BMW M3s but maybe a 4-door BMW 335s... maybe. I don't think the interior is Audi level, which my wife has owned recently. Maybe close to Toyota, they just "look" premium because of the minimalist setup.

So far my 2020 Model 3 LR has been great. My basic warranty is up at the end of the month. If things start going south next month I can document them here.

Problems since Feb 2023 when I bought it:
    - Squeaky Control Arms - Replaced under warranty
    - Window controller fault - Heading to service tomorrow to address

My car with BBS Turbofan knockoff wheel covers. Yes you either love them or hate them. I wish I bought white ones like a Porsche 962 but these work for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    On cars.com:
    - 2018 Model 3 Performance, 3.5s 0-60, with higher miles for $20k these days.
    - 2021 M3P, 2.9s 0-60, $31k with 60k miles. These cars are pretty dang fast.

Direct from Tesla (near DC) is a 2021 Model 3 Performance for $41k with 29k miles on it. Tesla sells used cars for a premium but they come with extra warranty which might be tempting.

So its in the ballpark for ~3s 0 to 60, easily do 250 miles, and $20-31k on cars.com. 2021 is a sweet spot for the Tesla Model 3.
    I suspect that the cars really didn’t get that much faster, re 3.5 -> 2.9. I think Tesla changed the measurement from a dead stop to rollout. Not sure if it was because that was what other manufacturers were doing, or it was so they could achieve a sub 2 second 0-60 in the Plaid, or likely both. Real numbers I’ve seen for current M3Ps without rollout are 3.2. When it warms up outside, I’ll take my Racebox out in my 2022 M3P and see what it will do.

As for my experience, just turning 14K and no issues to date. Also, they just put up a Tesla dealership 30 mins from me which is a nice surprise. It was over 1.5 hours to the dealership I picked mine up from.

Site Supporter
    What's the long term durability like for these EV's?

Like if we're talking about on a scale from "Yugo" to "1995 Toyota Camry"

User Tag List