• I am right handed

85 72.03%
  • I am left handed

13 11.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THUMB SAFETY POLL

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Even on 1911s that came with an ambi thumb safety, like my Baer PII, I had it removed and replaced with a smaller, strong side safety. The PII had safeties that reminded me of canoe paddles. I went with a traditional Colt style/size safety.

For a non 1911, that had a thumb safety, I would still prefer this same (approximate) size.
    Having just filed down one of those canoe paddle safeties, I agree on size even if I prefer ambi myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Voted ambi, same size, right handed. I’d just note that for me at least, that “same size” is thin. I think the fact that most carry (and really most non-competition-specific) 1911s come with thin or “carry profile” safeties says something.
    Pretty obvious I should have asked how many ride the safety when shooting. I do its the only way Ive ever shot a 1911.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I dont have experience with that safety. Do you ride it when shooting?
    ETA are you talking a traditional modern type safety or the old style nub?
    Like a tactical style?
    Can you post a pic?

This is the gun.

Started as a PII 1.5" gun. Then I had it set up how I wanted. Just a few mods for carry, and shootability really.

Do you ride this when shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This is the gun.

Started as a PII 1.5" gun. Then I had it set up how I wanted. Just a few mods for carry, and shootability really.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Do you ride this when shooting?
    Sorry I missed that the first time.

Yes, I very much ride the safety,
    I have a very "thumbs forward" shooting style. Both thumbs point horizontally along the slide towards the target. Usually my support thumb is in slight contact with the side. Used to bother some instructors at LE schools, until they saw my targets.

Site Supporter
    I have tried both strong side only and ambi on my 1911. I had the ambi installed while going through a strong hand only and weak hand only portion of a training program. In the context of that training ambi helped. However, for EDC, I prefer strong side only. I have accidentally wiped off the safety on a 1911 while carrying it. One of those times was while carrying IWB with the ambi safety installed. Holsters which hold the thumb safety in the on safe position are few and far between. A wide variety of holster sweat guards adequately protect strong side only safeties.

I ride the thumb safety when shooting 2 handed. When shooting 1 handed, I have a better grip with my thumb lower. When shooting with 1 hand, my thumb is sufficiently low to avoid accidentally engaging the safety.

If I were left handed, I would have voted ambi with both paddles the same size.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    If this is specific to the 365 safety, I would prefer that the "ledge" be mover high and forward is possible and 1.5-1.75 times the width of the original. I would love to ride it but it is too low on the grip for me.

Poll was no specific enough:

I am right handed'
    On a 1911 I prefer (to the point of not wanting any other), the old Kings (EGW now?) ambi with a gas pedal and smaller off side.

On anything else (P365, M&P, etc), I prefer them to be the same size.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I dont have experience with that safety. Do you ride it when shooting?
    I use the Colt "teardrop" style thumb safety like Lost River has pictured. I ride that thumb safety when shooting.

Edit to add: I have small hands, and can't reach the thumb safety on a CZ 75B without rotating the gun in my grip. The Colt teardrop fits me well.

Pretty obvious I should have asked how many ride the safety when shooting. I do its the only way Ive ever shot a 1911.
    I think a lot here (including me) would argue it’s the objectively right way for any gun with a 1911-esque thumb safety. Myself, I have no problem doing so with thin levers, and in fact wide levers interfere with the way I grip with my support hand, but that may be in part because I started on thin levers from the get go.

User Tag List