Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Art of the Fanny Pack

I've been using the Eberlestock Bando Bag for a few weeks now as an occasional carry option with a Sig P239 or Glock 19. Fit is just about right for both, but not much extra room for anything bigger. I prefer carrying the P239, since I feel comfortable sans holster with the DA trigger. Spare mag, wallet, badge, keys. My issue is that I ordered the multi-cam pack, which stands out a little. I just ordered the blue/gray version so maybe a little lower profile. It's got some organization dividers inside, which are nice to keep things in place and from just bumping around into each other. My issue always has been trying to carry too much and taking a minimalist setup and making it into a war-rig. The Bando Bag helps me to keep that to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's a quick review of the Eberlestock Bando Bag fanny pack.

Size is good for up to a G19 size gun, and fits my G26 with EPSc perfectly. Build quality is acceptable for a $49 pack, but not at the level of HPG. To me, the pack doesn't look especially tactical.

I added a sewn-in loop in the rear gun compartment, for attaching a Raven Vanguard trigger cover.

I threw away the useless velcro band that shipped with the pack. I also discarded all but one of the finger loop zipper pulls, so as to reduce the chance of pulling the wrong one under duress.

Quote Originally Posted by radiogeek View Post
    I've been using the Eberlestock Bando Bag for a few weeks now as an occasional carry option with a Sig P239 or Glock 19. Fit is just about right for both, but not much extra room for anything bigger. I prefer carrying the P239, since I feel comfortable sans holster with the DA trigger. Spare mag, wallet, badge, keys. My issue is that I ordered the multi-cam pack, which stands out a little. I just ordered the blue/gray version so maybe a little lower profile. It's got some organization dividers inside, which are nice to keep things in place and from just bumping around into each other. My issue always has been trying to carry too much and taking a minimalist setup and making it into a war-rig. The Bando Bag helps me to keep that to a minimum.
    A few more notes that popped into my head:

1. I also took off 3 of the 4 giant zipper pulls and replaced them with 550 cord pulls. I left one on the gun pocket to rip and open.
    2. I tend to wear it more in a cross-draw position (I'm right handed) situated over to my left side. I usually wearing untucked lightweight shirts and the long tail seems to help cover it from odd stares from casual observers.
    3. It takes two hands free to get the gun out, one to pull the loop (left) and one to grab the gun (right). It's slow. It's a trade-off.
    4. I've been keeping it on the nightstand, because it's easy to throw on over my chonies for those bumps in the night and I know all my support gear is right there.

I'm trying to put together a low-viz med gear to keep in it without taking up too much space. The Phlster med wallet thing seems to fit the bill and keep everything tidy.

Site Supporter
    Read through the thread and have been doing some thinking of moving to a fanny pack. I am pretty sure I am cool enough to wear one now.

If you wanted to carry a full sized gun, reload, TQ, etc, which would you pick?

These three seem likes good options.

Hawkes pak GunPak 2

HPG Belt Pack medium

Elite Survival Hip Gunner

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Read through the thread and have been doing some thinking of moving to a fanny pack. I am pretty sure I am cool enough to wear one now.

Hawkes pak GunPak 2

HPG Belt Pack medium

I'm a HPG fan. I own/like the chest pack. Have not used the belt pack.
    Not familiar with the other two, but, the Hawkes looks very thick (front to back)

ETA: Most of my actual fanny pack use was with a Tommys Gun Pack, which I loved, but, 1. Is out of business and 2. I think the HPG bag is better (assuming the chest pack quality translates to the belt pack)
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 10-10-2023 at 08:53 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I have three HPG Belt Packs. I’ve been using gun Fanny packs since the Desantis Gunnysacks came out. I’ve used a number of designs over the years and the HPG is my favorite

Site Supporter
    Good stuff. I like my HPG chest bag.

A full sized gun (G17, B92, etc) will fit in the belt pack?

I usually carry a G19 size M&P in my medium. I think a full size will fit; I’ll check when I get home unless someone pipes up first.

Hawkes pak GunPak 2

HPG Belt Pack medium

I don't own the HPG Belt Pack, and not anything against the others, but that would be my choice. All American made parts and labor, small family business with amazing quality and stellar customer service and support. Everything I've ever seen by them has been an amazing value for the price.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Name:  0A749780-6B29-4441-B4AF-210C47314B05.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  61.4 KB

Full size M&P blue gun in the medium Belt Pack.

Looks like a HPG chest rig in action here.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List