Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Mo money needed

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I was not asking whether the benefits were worth it TO YOU, I was asking for clarification of what they were. To repeat myself:

Second, what are the benefits to joining? The site says "USPSA Members can login for access to member-only features, including tracking your USPSA scores and classifiers, downloading classification cards, finding matches, classes, and more!". I can't locate these, does anyone know where this list of features are on the USPSA web site? Or is this it? How would a prospective member know what the "member-only" features are? And what are the "...and more!" benefits?.

In particular, do I need to be a member to "find matches" these days? Aren't match registrations on Practiscore anyway? I am not sure I need to be a member to register for a match, do I? (I don't think so). Also, can't I track my scores (match results?) on Practiscore as well?

So far as I can tell, the primary benefit is for me to have a Classification Rating, and to receive a Magazine (print or online). What am I missing? It just seems to me the org could do a better sales job at showing folks what they get for the money, since at the moment it is pretty hard to figure out.

Try and look at it like you are trying to sell me on rejoining USPSA. Or not, I don't mind really. But it would be an idea to take a step back to consider how to better encourage people to join this voluntary, not-for profit organization. I make value judgements all the time about how to spend discretionary funds. This site, for instance. I am a paid supporter, many many years over, because I believe in the mission of pistol-forum. It is peanuts compared to the sanity this site brings to the gun world.

I've also spent four figure sums to belong to professional organizations, both at work, and within another hobby of mine (Scuba diving). I got a lot of perceived value there too. The bottom line is if I don't have the information I need to evaluate the value for money, I'll pass. Which is where I am with USPSA.
    Well you should know I am a terrible salesperson. I once had a job in sales and it's the only job I got fired from because I wouldn't pressure people for something they didn't need lol

Based off what you've said about your interest in the sport, a membership probably doesn't suit you. If your answer to either of these questions is yes then a membership is for you.

1) You want to pursue a classification or the classification system
    2) You want to shoot major matches

If your answer is yes then I have a one time limited offer of an annual membership for the low low price of $40. But don't wait or the price will go up to $65. Seriously, it will....
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I wonder

I wonder if most people don’t know or care about the parent organization and purchase membership because they’re supporting their local clubs once they get invested in the people.

I know that membership doesn’t really financially benefit a club directly but things like becoming an RO to help matches run require membership.

Just a thought this morning of how my investment in the sport has evolved over the years.

I initially did it just for me. Now I’m invested in making it a better (local) experience for newer shooters.

Site Supporter
    Just got my paper magazine. A letter to the editor saying folks should not insult the employees and if they do, they should be dealt with. A long piece describing the Velcro belts and why taking them off with the gun in it is a violation of the rules and a safety horror show. I bought one of those but decided it didn't fit what I wanted to practice (discussed ad nauseam) so stay with a gun belt in the pants and carry-ish holster and pouches on the belt. But are non-drop safe guns allowed - that seems a worse risk? I get my IDPA newsletter and they have some interesting SD articles linked at times.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

So there is going to be LO at the Iron Sight Nationals… I think I am starting regretting that I renewed my membership recently….

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    So there is going to be LO at the Iron Sight Nationals… I think I am starting regretting that I renewed my membership recently….
    That’s actually pretty cool.

Iron sight nationals couldn’t sell enough spots without help, so rather than take a financial loss they came up with a solution that meets demand and keeps financials at the forefront.

There were over 50 unsold iron spots at $325 a pop.

I don’t have a problem with that at all.

If they had Production and PCC Nats or Lim / CO combined Nats…. Results in one division are independent of results in another so why care?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That’s actually pretty cool.

Iron sight nationals couldn’t sell enough spots without help, so rather than take a financial loss they came up with a solution that meets demand and keeps financials at the forefront.

There were over 50 unsold iron spots at $325 a pop.

I don’t have a problem with that at all.

If they had Production and PCC Nats or Lim / CO combined Nats…. Results in one division are independent of results in another so why care?
    Every single national event was a loss. That’s actually a separate topic for discussion. It should be about competition of skills, not about pleasing as many people as possible. Different divisions emphasize different skills. Changing it in less than 60 days from the Nationals show their lack of forward planning.
    The difference between CO and LO today is too small to be worth of any consideration. I am sure many will just take their CO guns and will shoot the “Iron Sight” nationals. It’s all fun and what may be a lot of guys going through their middle life crisis want, but it diminishes the whole idea of competition of skills on the national level. Let just ban iron sights in USPSA completely since this is what the public wants then. I would be fine with that actually.

BTW, how would you call the winner? Provisional National Champion? LOL.
    Last edited by cheby; 08-11-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Every single national event was a loss. That’s actually a separate topic for discussion. It should be about competition of skills, not about pleasing as many people as possible. Different divisions emphasize different skills. Changing it in less than 60 days from the Nationals show their lack of forward planning.
    The difference between CO and LO today is too small to be worth of any consideration. I am sure many will just take their CO guns and will shoot the “Iron Sight” nationals. It’s all fun and what may be a lot of guys going through their middle life crisis want, but it diminishes the whole idea of competition of skills on the national level. Let just ban iron sights in USPSA completely since this will s what the public wants then. I would be fine with that actually.

BTW, how would you call the winner? Provisional National Champion? LOL.
    But why do you care? They’re not designing stages for LO or changing stages.

That’s like the Revo guys complaining that Limited shoots the same match.

Who cares what other divisions shoot at the event?

Do you get mad that there’s LO at your state match? It’s the same thing. You’re not competing with them.

Even if every nationals is losing money… why allow losing more money than they have to.

Can you explain why it reduces your enjoyment? HOA isn’t really an official thing.

SCCA has provisional division winners. They call them winners instead of champions. Doesn’t really matter.

@cheby

Didn’t they used to have “race gun” nationals with Limited and Open at the same match?

How is this different from a “you’re only competing with your own division” standpoint?

Well, shoot, if I'm going to keep complaining about USPSA, I might as well do it as a paid member. It's worth supporting my local club, and I appreciate the value of having the classification system.

Still think most of the current Board members are a bunch of schmucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well, shoot, if I'm going to keep complaining about USPSA, I might as well do it as a paid member. It's worth supporting my local club, and I appreciate the value of having the classification system.

Still think most of the current Board members are a bunch of schmucks though.
    Maybe someone could describe how joining USPSA supports the local club. I've never been sure about that one either.

User Tag List