Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stories from the other side of the gun counter...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I've always understood that you could refuse to transfer a firearm to someone if you had reasonable doubts.
    A guy went through the waiting period (3-5 days at the time, IIRC) in Washington state, then came in to pick up a handgun. Wife/girlfriend was with him. Something he said had her in tears after a few minutes in the shop so I told him he wasn't getting a gun from us on that night.

Got chewed out the next morning for that, but I'd been chewed out before.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Anecdote Alert

A friend worked at a gun and pawn. He reported that one day a guy came in, noticed only the proprietor, and announced a holdup. The owner calmly said, "You might ought to look over there and think about this." Sure enough there was my friend with a 1911 beaded in on his head. He left in a hurry, they didn't try to detain him.

At a gun show, I once declined to sell a rifle to a guy whose behavior seemed odd.

I didn't work there but I used to be one of those bums hanging around the store scaring off new customers.

Back when we had a state waiting period, I saw a guy come in with his girlfriend to pick up his Astra Constable.
    He picked a shoulder holster off the rack and took it out of its bag. He flopped the straps around a while without getting it on and finally stuffed it back in the bag with the remark "I'll figure it out the next time I am straight." The dealer completed the sale and let him have his Astra and holster. I hoped the girlfriend was driving.

At one time there was only one rental range in this end of the state, behind a high volume store.
    It had the unenviable reputation of having been used for at least two rental suicides.
    And also of being the place where an irate professor practiced before she shot up a faculty meeting.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    The one with a history of shooting someone else, investigation screwed up the local police then - didn't get tenure?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

This thread has lot’s of potential. I’ve nothing to add other than the hope it continues.

Listen to your gut!!!!!!!!!! It wasn't from behind the counter but a sale just the same. Back in the day over on Snipers Hide I had some 308 ammo for sale. Guy hits me up and says he will take it. I say fine, I mark it sold. We start having comms on payment arrangements and shipping and such.....and he just tweaked me out! Wasnt any one thing, it was just generally "off" behaviour. So this is the only deal I ever broke! I just told him sorry, deals off, not selling it. Time passes and then it comes out! He was arrested for planning a second Virginia Tech mass shooting! When they raided his place, it was packed with everything he had acquired making deals online. Trust your gut, if your wrong its only hurt feelings but if your right......

Great thread.

I've always wondered about the "something isn't right" vibe without concrete denial reason and how the No sale decision is made .

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Listen to your gut!!!!!!!!!! It wasn't from behind the counter but a sale just the same. Back in the day over on Snipers Hide I had some 308 ammo for sale. Guy hits me up and says he will take it. I say fine, I mark it sold. We start having comms on payment arrangements and shipping and such.....and he just tweaked me out! Wasnt any one thing, it was just generally "off" behaviour. So this is the only deal I ever broke! I just told him sorry, deals off, not selling it. Time passes and then it comes out! He was arrested for planning a second Virginia Tech mass shooting! When they raided his place, it was packed with everything he had acquired making deals online. Trust your gut, if your wrong its only hurt feelings but if your right......
    Sometimes it's the totality of the situation and your subconscious picking up enough weird or abnormal factors that you "know something is wrong" even if it's incredibly difficult to articulate. I realize we're talking the gun counter but, I'll post this here since it has to do with customer behavior.

I'm no one but, one particular situation from my past left a stark reminder for me about the "trust your gut" phenomenon. Not saying everyone's "gut" is accurate and doesn't result in false positives but, in this particular case, felt like I dodged a curve ball from hell. I won't go into much detail on an open forum. I'm at the range working as the range officer on that particular day. Younger guy in his early 20's comes in. I'd noticed him several times before. Always brought his Romanian WASR in. I always watched him like a hawk, standing fairly close. Not any one thing. Body language, demeanor, the odd pauses just staring downrange holding the gun at sort of a high ready, the emotionless dead-eye stare, just overall strange behavior. Subtle enough not a single other employee had a freakin clue because, well, that's the average indoor range for you...

Long story short, a couple weeks after his last range trip, I see his picture on the news. Guy went active shooter, shot up a local college with his AK (injuring no one) and then self-deleted. Could have been much worse. You just never know who's in the stall next to you at the range...
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    This one is from a bit ago. This was back when we still had the NC purchase permit requirement for pistols on the books.

I had a guy come in acting generally weird and tell me he wanted to buy either a 9mm or .22 pistol, he didn't care what type as long as it was under 500 bucks... I took one look at him and decided dude wasn't leaving with a gun that night on a 4473 that I had signed out. So I ask him if he has a NC CCW or Purchase permit, pretty sure of the answer before I ask... Of course not, what's that??.. He looks frantically around and then leaves the store. Crisis averted, right?...

Naaw, Two days later he comes back in the shop, opening the door with his shirt on the handle, looking around for cameras. I avoid him, he avoids me and gets another employee. He tells him that he wants to buy a M16.... Employee tells him that we don't sell those but what he probably wants is a AR-15... Guy says yep that's it....

Gets set up with a Colt 6920 and red dot, wants a magpul drum and "armor piercing bullets" ,we don't sell those so he settles for 77gr match rounds because they are heavier... also adds a big fucking knife to the stack growing on the counter... The entire time just acting weirder and weirder. Like I started making sure my carry gun was still good to go weird, ya know....

Then he asks if we sell body armor and helmets....

No dude we don't, but this is Jacksonville NC, there's like 20 milsurp, gear and pawn shops around here, they probably have that stuff....

He fills out his 4473, takes him two tries, He somehow passes the NICS check ( cause HIPAA is f'ing stupid in this guy's case...) and we quietly talk about ghost delaying him anyway but it's decided by the store owner to let him pay and take the gun. Not my vote but I'm not in charge... He fishes a bank envelope out of the shorts he is wearing under his pants and pays in fresh new bank issued 100's and 20's...

The entire time we are in text contact with our ATF IOI down in Wilmington and the second he leaves we call JPD to put in a weird dude with a gun report.

ATF puts out an alert on the guy, Turns out he left from us and went to a buddies militaria shop, weirded them out as well and left wearing an older IOTV and MICH helmet that he also paid cash for out of his under pants stash...

JPD goes and picks him up at the address we gave him the next day, we find out from a few of the guys on the team that he had a manifesto all written out, delusional shit written on the walls inside his house, and according to the SWAT guys who arrested him, he was the creepiest dude they had ever dealt with.

Turns out he has been in and out of mental health facilities several times and been arrested before but never convicted of anything so..... nothing in NICS to disqualify him.

Thankfully he came to buy his shit from us and not one of the big box stores....
    Was there a mental health record that should have been in NICS but wasn’t?

Because unless he’s been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility by a judge it doesn’t matter how many times he’s been in and out. Emergency detentions for mental health exam by police and voluntary admissions don’t count.

Was hanging out in a gun shop years ago, and a pretty sketchy guy came in. Must have triggered the Spidey senses of the dude I knew from the local motorcycle shop as well, because we both stuck around until Sumdood left.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Great thread.

Definitely going to pay a visit when we are up visiting family in Jacksonville (August I think it is.) Will drop in to say hi.

User Tag List