Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense & the Law class (By Phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Yeppers.
    Rgr. Thanks. Definitely keeping my eyes open for details.

Interested in participating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    We need a DVD series bad!

True, that!! I'd love to listen in, but no way I can do that from over here in dot-mil.
    Mike

I'm interested...

Question... while you can cover this subject broadly, isn't some of it (and perhaps *really* important parts) state-specific??

Quote Originally Posted by TumblinDown View Post
    I'm interested...

Question... while you can cover this subject broadly, isn't some of it (and perhaps *really* important parts) state-specific??
    I'm only a licensed to practice in Connecticut, so, yes, some of the most important parts which are state specific will be different for those in other states.

You can use the material discussed as a starting point for compare/contract, research, or for a more focused (and less costly) consult with a local authority on the issue.

I was talking with Mitchel the other day and realized he does not have a Shot Timer. Perhaps we could take up a collection to buy one for him as a thank you.

Please email Mlakeesq@yahoo.com with your screen name to get login info & your handy PDF to follow along for Sunday.

Please put "P-F SD&L" in the email title.

My schedule got screwed up going into this past weekend: a) how did it go? b) can I buy a dvd sometime soon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    My schedule got screwed up going into this past weekend: a) how did it go?
    I think it went very well.

There were many excellent teaching points, but the highlights for me were the following:

Mitchell had a great approach in explaining the legality of preemptive attack. The gist of it is that you can use your knowledge of the instant circumstances and observe your encroacher's pre-assault cues to come to a reasonable belief that an escalation of force is necessary, even before the encroacher has actually initiated violence. In my experience, that is a concept a lot of people have trouble grasping, especially when they are also told that they cannot instigate confrontations that lead to use of deadly force.

He also did a particularly excellent job explaining how formal training (like ECQC) can make a significant difference in helping a defendant properly articulate the reasonableness of his actions in the legal aftermath of a self defense shooting. I am all for anything that helps encourage folks to seek out formal training beyond whatever state-mandated requirements exist to say, have a concealed handgun permit.

Site Supporter
    Still hoping this was recorded and will be posted someplace...for download preferably so I can listen to it in the car..??
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List