Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting aggressive dogs while running

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What does and doesn’t make the news is selective / locally driven at best - manipulated at worst.

Not to mention I’ve been present for a party to events that were covered by the media, and could barely recognize it as the same event based on their coverage.
    So true. We live on a street w/ 9 houses all on about 5ac of woods w/ 1/2 to 1ac cleared for house and yard. Previously we had 2 ac completely fenced so we could walk out sheltie/border collie mix w/o a leach. WE thought this would be similar and it was until a couple moved into the empty house next door. Husband and wife and I get along great. Wife we are fine with but she isn't outside much and it turns out she is scared of dogs. I do the 630a walk w/o leash but the 3p walk at least partly w/ leash after an incident. Husband sent me a text a month ago w/ a pic the wife had sent him of 2 medium dogs in their front yard. I thought dang she is inside, 2 dogs are outside, where is the problem? I texted him I will walk around his house and report back. As I am doing that he texts me more saying the 2 dogs are now at another house 1/4 mile away and one had backed the man (45yr old self employed 6ft contractor who is in good shape) up into a corner between a building and dumpster. Animal control called, all turned out fine no injuries, the 2 dogs had been recently adopted and the owner didn't realize they would jump a 3ft fence. The aggressive one back to the agency and our problem solved. Wife is a professor so not always a 9-5 schedule. After the above, on my 3p walk I start w/ a leash out to the road and up the road in front of their house. Once I am sure she isn't there, I remove the leash. Our dog is a super lover rub you, snuggle, keep himself under your hand for scratches. Friendly as can be but...he goes full speed to anyone he sees walking so I can sure see how someone could misinterpret his run as an attack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    So true. We live on a street w/ 9 houses all on about 5ac of woods w/ 1/2 to 1ac cleared for house and yard. Previously we had 2 ac completely fenced so we could walk out sheltie/border collie mix w/o a leach. WE thought this would be similar and it was until a couple moved into the empty house next door. Husband and wife and I get along great. Wife we are fine with but she isn't outside much and it turns out she is scared of dogs. I do the 630a walk w/o leash but the 3p walk at least partly w/ leash after an incident. Husband sent me a text a month ago w/ a pic the wife had sent him of 2 medium dogs in their front yard. I thought dang she is inside, 2 dogs are outside, where is the problem? I texted him I will walk around his house and report back. As I am doing that he texts me more saying the 2 dogs are now at another house 1/4 mile away and one had backed the man (45yr old self employed 6ft contractor who is in good shape) up into a corner between a building and dumpster. Animal control called, all turned out fine no injuries, the 2 dogs had been recently adopted and the owner didn't realize they would jump a 3ft fence. The aggressive one back to the agency and our problem solved. Wife is a professor so not always a 9-5 schedule. After the above, on my 3p walk I start w/ a leash out to the road and up the road in front of their house. Once I am sure she isn't there, I remove the leash. Our dog is a super lover rub you, snuggle, keep himself under your hand for scratches. Friendly as can be but...he goes full speed to anyone he sees walking so I can sure see how someone could misinterpret his run as an attack.
    Whenever I take my dog off my property, he’s on a leash unless we’re in a fenced in dog park. Not because I couldn’t walk him without a leash, he’s compliant with voice commands, but just so there are no misunderstandings.

The only time he’s out, but not on a leash is in my front yard / driveway when I am present.

No issues, other than one rather neurotic lady who was walking her dog and started screaming when he looked at her and her dog. Mind you he did not leave the yard or even take a step towards them. All he did was look at them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My observation that areas where people intentionally let their dogs run loose is the hood / a place to avoid is based on spending my average work day in such places and encountering the dogs (loose and otherwise) found there in the course of those activities. The majority are pits and pit mixes so my experience is not based solely on my dog(s).
    Speaking of 2nd and 3rd order effects in such areas:

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...SAEN_210Report

New details in case of woman attacked by dogs, then struck by hit-and-run driver
    Police released a description of the car that plowed into the woman Saturday night on the Northwest Side. The victim was found lying on the ground, bleeding from the head.

Police are looking for a white, four-door Honda sedan that struck a pedestrian as she tried to get away from a pack of dogs on the Northwest Side over the weekend.

The description of the car is included in a San Antonio Police Department report on the incident. The driver of the Honda did not stop after hitting the 38-year-old woman in the 2200 block of Bandera Road, near Evers Road, at 8:25 p.m. Saturday.

When police arrived, they saw the victim lying on the ground, bleeding from her head.

Three people witnessed the incident, the police report says.

The victim's name and the three witnesses' names were redacted from the report.

The victim had crossed Bandera Road and was walking on a sidewalk when a "pack of dogs" began to bark and lunge toward her, according to an initial account provided by SAPD.

The woman backed away from the dogs, stepped into the road and was struck by the white Honda.

She was taken to University Hospital with minor injuries and underwent surgery.

The driver, if identified by police, will be charged with failure to stop and render aid, a third-degree felony. If convicted, the driver could face two to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Had to laugh, I stumbled across this vid today. Kind of long a tedious, but fits here.

https://youtu.be/HIdLpcPgoRM

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    In my life I’ve been attacked by three dogs. All pits. So yeah, maybe you don’t know shit about me.
    Haven't read the rest of the thread, and I agree that the 'you don't know fvck all about dogs' was unnecessary, but in this case don't shoot the messenger. His advice regarding OC spray was spot on.

My take is that if you are running - versus jogging - your heart rate will be elevated, and while if you are conditioned you may not be gasping for vbreath, you will still have increased respiration. All of which makes firing a pistol accurately more of a challenge - note I said more of a challenge not impossible.

Additionally, engaging the moving target adds complexity to the task. I've been around a couple of officers who were poodle-shooters and my recollection is more misses than hits. Mag dumping to get a hit isn't the way to go.

OTOH, with the OC streamer you have a visible agent stream to guide you to the dog and keep you on target.

I would use the OC streamer - and get at least a Mark 2 size - as the first line of defense with you pistol as a back up.

My motto: Spray early and spray a bunch.

All those post men can't be wrong.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    OTOH, with the OC streamer you have a visible agent stream to guide you to the dog and keep you on target.

I would use the OC streamer - and get at least a Mark 2 size - as the first line of defense with you pistol as a back up.

All those post men can't be wrong.

Thread win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

One of my instructors in the Sheriff's academy would say "When in doubt, the OC comes out." and "Spray early, spray often"

His logic was solid. "If you shoot someone, you cant un-shoot them. The damage is done. If you hit someone with a baton/flashlight, you cant unbreak that bone. But, if you spray someone, it will suck for them, but they will be back to normal and fine in an hour. If you spray them and it doesn't work, you can always shoot them later." Not exact, but a close paraphrase. Now, replace "someone" with "some dog" and it fits this thread.

I carry a POM OC most every day. Yet have not been carrying it or ANY weapon while jogging. I have lost OC cans and pocket knives on runs before, and just swapped to 95% of my runs being indoors on the treadmill. I never carried a gun while jogging because I sweat A LOT. My sweat would eat through a gun finish in no time. Indoor treadmills are not as healthy for me as a dose of sunshine and fresh air, but indoors it never rains, dogs never chase me, cars don't come within a foot of hitting me, mosquitos don't eat me up, its always 70 degrees...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

we run into aggressive dogs while walking the trouts streams and have had the discussion with my friend about shooting an aggressive dog. While we are both dog people we know how people feel about their fur babies. So I have heard and will take the advise that if involved in a shoot not to leave the scene, grab the cell phone and call to report the incident even if no shots fired.
    If it ever comes to the point I need to put a dog down I will be hoofing it toward the truck in a hurry while calling the cops, I am not going to hang around out in the country waiting for the owner to show up only to have more problems with the owner who may come armed and no witnesses.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I was just curious. I see your point about not prejudging based on breed but admit that I probably would. I know pits don't automatically have to be killers, and I haven't researched this but, in my experience, a huge percentage of news items about someone being injured or killed by a dog turns out it was a pit. To me the difference between finding out if the dog will actually be biting me vs a preemptive shot will be about 3 seconds. Lots of thinking and decision making to happen in 3 seconds.
    Up until a year or so ago, my roomie was a fan of The People's Court[1]. One time, Judge Milian was hearing a dogbite case. As the plaintiff was making her (or his, don't recall) case, the judge looked over at the bailiff and remarked "it's always a pit, isn't it".

Even here, I see more and more pits being walked off-leash in the woods. There were a lot more in Missouri, especially near an apartment complex that I called "Probation Estates". After an early-morning encounter with two large mutts that could have gone sideways, I put the J-frame back in the case and went with something a little heavier.

And a hardwood hiking stick.

[1] I came to like the show. Unlike that NYC harpy, Milian does a pretty good job of explaining the law to the parties. One could probably learn a good bit about civil law from her show.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List