Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .45 Auto Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I don’t own one but can say for what it’s worth that my revolver-collecting father’s pre-lock 625 is hands down my favorite gun of his to shoot, and it will not be leaving the family. Doesn’t hurt that as a 1911 fan I’m already wed to .45 ACP.

Friends of mine we’ve taken shooting also universally acclaim it as their favorite, and it’s not exactly being compared to lesser guns. Something about that gun just makes it both very easy and incredibly fun to shoot.
    Yeah, it's easy to shoot well, like a 1911.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know things that make me look better than I am when I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

I have not been blessed with the "1911 is easy to shoot" gene. At least shoot well, like as well as revolvers. This is why I have 45 auto ammo and little desire to shoot it in a 1911.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the replies and advice, all. I feel like a 625 would be the optimal choice, preferably pre lock but I guess I could live with it. Problem is finding one. I don’t have access to the marketplace on here but any idea but any advice for if I tried to find one?

The SRH Alaskan cut to take moonclips is an interesting idea, though it’s quite a large frame gun and the barrel is a little shorter than I’d prefer.

Or maybe I’ll do the sensible thing and stick to .357/.38 and get one of those Wiley Clapp II 3” 7 shot stainless GP100s while they’re still available. While I’ve seen some QC issues with Ruger revolvers lately, by and large the QC still seems to be solid, at least compared to new production Smiths.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Thanks for the replies and advice, all. I feel like a 625 would be the optimal choice, preferably pre lock but I guess I could live with it. Problem is finding one. I don’t have access to the marketplace on here but any idea but any advice for if I tried to find one?

The SRH Alaskan cut to take moonclips is an interesting idea, though it’s quite a large frame gun and the barrel is a little shorter than I’d prefer.

Or maybe I’ll do the sensible thing and stick to .357/.38 and get one of those Wiley Clapp II 3” 7 shot stainless GP100s while they’re still available. While I’ve seen some QC issues with Ruger revolvers lately, by and large the QC still seems to be solid, at least compared to new production Smiths.
    I had rim distance problems on the 7 shot gp100 I forget the number. But with ruger I would stick to 6. In any caliber that is appropriate. .38/357 is really a great caliber to work with. If you want to step up. DA revolvers are hard to come by that do not require work. In My Opinion.
    Last edited by camel; 04-18-2023 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I had rim distance problems on the 7 shot gp100 I forget the number.
    How long ago was it produced? I know the earlier 7 shot models had distance problems, but it’s my understanding that was corrected and confirmed by measurements that they changed it. I don’t remember the threads but they were on this site.

Site Supporter
    How long ago was it produced? I know the earlier 7 shot models had distance problems, but it’s my understanding that was corrected and confirmed by measurements that they changed it. I don’t remember the threads but they were on this site.
    I would be intrigued in a 7 shot. But I went back to a match champion. It works and I can shoot heavy 357 if I need it.I think about wishing I had the half moon clips for reloads. But I’m slow on a reload on a revolver no matter what and half moon clips means I’m fumble fuck. So honestly a gp100 or smith or Taurus as long as it works and hits to sights is preferable for me. B

Site Supporter
    I've got a 22-4. It's the lightest steel-frame .45 ACP revolver out there, which makes it a good carry gun. I haven't had any problems with factory ammo (230-grain HST +P and 230-grain AE ball) but it's a kinetic bullet-puller with the coated 230-grain RNL handloads I run in my autos. I don't remember having had problems with uncoated 230-grain RNLs in my 1917; I guess the coating is just too slick. My solution was to get a Redding profile crimp die and use 225-grain coated RNFPs, crimping the case mouth into the crimp groove.

If it's just going to be a range gun, I'd go with a later 25-2 (produced after S&W fixed the chamber mouth issue) or an early 625.

IME, the issue with bent moon clips is pretty much confined to USPSA shooters. They go through a lot of moon clips in a stage and the moon clips sometimes get stepped on. I haven't had an issue with them, and the clips I have loaded for carry get checked for flatness before they're loaded. It also helps that I don't use the absolute cheapest clips I could find at a gun show.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I didn't realize the 625 was discontinued! I always wanted one. Now the expensive search begins I guess.....

I can confirm / agree with SwampDweller here. I went through some early and then later production 7 shot Rugers… the newest / current ones have been ironed out… as much as any thing in the firearms world can be “fixed” … lol! I think Ruger still does a standout job with QC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List