Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .45 Auto Revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I'm on a bit of a revolver kick right now. I have a lot of .45 Auto ammo and reloading components, and I really like the idea of a double action, defense-oriented .45 Auto revolver. Unfortunately there are very few choices and it looks like I'm going to have to buy one second hand, though I really would prefer NOS/Unfired condition. It looks like my choices are:

-S&W Model 22 (either original production or one of the newer repros that are also no longer in production AFAIK)
    -S&W 625 (Also out of production, and I'm iffy on the QC on the 625's made most recently given S&W's current QC problems)
    -S&W Model 25: Again, old production, and would need to find one in .45 Auto rather than .45 Colt
    -S&W Governor: Frankly, not interested due to size, shape, and current QC of S&W
    -Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/Auto: I really, really like the idea of this, but IIRC these have always had reliability issues. I'm not even sure Ruger makes them anymore.

I see a few NOS Model 22's and 25's on Gunbroker, however they only take checks/money orders and in this day and age I do not feel comfortable mailing that amount of money in the postal system.

Are there any choices I'm not aware of or forgot about? Is it crazy for me to consider getting a 6-shot .45 Auto revolver for carry when I have capable, higher capacity autoloaders in the same caliber? Should I just stick with .357/.38 for my revolver cartridge and get another GP100 7-shot like I was planning?

I feel that in many self defense situations, the revolver may offer some reliability advantages concerning poor grip, something coming in contact with the slide while cycling, shooting within a vehicle (as DB notes, many auto malfunctions happen inside vehicles while shooting in "space"), etc. Not to mention going to ban states.
    Rimless cartridges which depend on easily bent sheet metal clips are not the best choice for defense. While revolvers don’t depend on grip to function, they do depend on grip for you to put enough leverage on the trigger will keep in the gun straight to actually hit anything. If this will be a carry gun, even a niche application, carry gun forget about 45 and buy the GP 100 in .38/.357.

The other issue is because there is some give or springi-ness to the sheet metal clips when the firing pin strikes the rimless rounds 45 ACP revolvers need to have slightly heavier trigger polls to ensure reliable ignition.

If you want a cool Range Gun to explore revolvers, and you happen to have a lot of 45 ACP ammo or load for 45 for your other guns a .45 revolver can be fun.

Don’t overthink it.

If for funsies, a SAA with a .45acp cylinder might be an option.

Moonclips are a pain, tho. I eventually just wento to single loading my 1917, and poked the empties out with a brass rod. Then I sold it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I was kinda anti moon clips for a while. Then I started to shoot with them and love them. Buy enough and you load up before the range and unload when you get home. It's easier then picking up empties.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    I believe someone on here had a thread on the gp100 in 45 colt/45acp. i don’t have time to search but I was underwhelmed with the one I had experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    What are the downsides of a rimless cartridge such as .45 Auto in a revolver? Other than needing moonclips or AR brass?
    If you shoot factory ammo or the equivalent on the range or in competition, then the 625 is an excellent choice. It's even better if that ammo is free or incredibly cheap for some reason.

For carry, full moon clips are a fast reload IF you empty the gun, but they make tactical reloads difficult. Half- and third-moon clips are a way around this. Sort of. 45 Auto Rim brass permits the same manual of arms—subject to the same limitations—as other DA revolvers, but factory carry ammo choices aside from https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=73 are pretty slim.

Some loads, especially heavier ones, require a roll crimp for best power and accuracy in all revolvers. Rimless cartridges headspace on the case mouth, so no roll crimp for you. Moon clips address this, subject to the issues described above. So does 45 Auto Rim brass, but you'll need a die specifically meant to roll crimp it. Most 45 ACP seating dies will give a roll crimp if you screw them way down into the press, but this crushes the driving band of lead bullets and accuracy goes out the window. It doesn't do jacketed bullets any favors, either.

I solved this by having a buddy with a plasma cutter take the bottom 3/8" off of a spare 45 Colt seating die. Groups instantly got way better. I got best accuracy from 250-grain cast bullets in relatively heavy (roughly 45 ACP +P) loads using 45 Auto Rim brass and a roll crimp. But after all of that, I came to realize that mild loads in either the 44 Magnum and 45 Colt were better choices, as they easily match max loads in the 45 Auto Rim with a lot less fuss at the loading bench.

Finally, a 625 will kick harder than a Model 29 or 629 with the same ballistics because it's lighter. Even with a full lug, my 4” M-625 Model of 1988 (or 1989, I can’t remember) weighed 40.5 ounces. My 4” Model 29-2 weighs 43.8 ounces. 3.3 ounces doesn’t sound like much, but it’s all up front in the exact spot to make the most difference.

The 45 ACP revolver is a great idea if you’re a young nation entering a foreign war and you have plenty of 45 ACP ammo but not enough pistols.

For me, there were more practical answers.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My impressions are similar to many already posted, Ive had 45 auto revolvers in the past and ended up keeping the 4" 29 when it came down to it. At this point, I have a fair amount of 45 auto ammo, and little desire to shoot it in auto pistols, so am interested again.

The old school half moon clip were much better quality than the commercial ones that came out in the 80s, (some commercial half moons were dead soft and absolute garbage) and the earlier full moons, but they may be better now. In any event, the actual S&W factory and govt issue half moons were pretty tough, well tempered spring steel, and also MUCH easier to load and unload than full moon clips.

Im mostly not that interested in moon clips for revolvers so long as I have decent speed loaders and strips, but the half moons arent bad to work with. I often just shot without the clips and pulled the empties out with a fingernail when general shooting.

My vote for the choice 45 auto revolver is the old 1955 Target. A shorter barrel would be nice for carry, but I may not need to hide one with what Id do with one. Of course theres always shoulder holsters.....

And auto rim brass simplifies it all to a degree, and would be fine for carry and field use, but theres that existing rimless ammo thats sort of the point in the first place.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Best .45 Auto Revolver

The last new Smith I bought was a 625 PC in 2019.

I guess I’m lucky, no issues. I could live without the hole and the MIM.

Too big for carry, but a great range & field gun.

BTW I also have a 25-2, and while I love it, the 625 chamber throats and rifling are much better.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 04-18-2023 at 07:31 PM.

There really is no good reason for a 45 APC revolver. S&W discontinued the 625 for a reason. They just didn't sell that well. I'm thinking the N frame may be going that direction also. I only see one N frame on their website. Quality isn't that great anyway with their current product.

The only reason I have a 625 is I like the 45 ACP cartridge a lot and I like revolvers. I have more revolvers than pistols. That's just a natural curiosity if you like revolves. The 45 APC really isn't a good revolver cartridge but it's so popular there have been many revolvers produced since WW1.

I had my 625 at the range last week. Not my favorite revolver, that's probably my 28-2, but it still puts a smile on my face.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-18-2023 at 08:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC with a 45ACP cylinder, and a round butt Redhawk 4.2” model 5050 that runs both LC and ACP as well. I have found the ACP to be less accurate than the LC and the cylinder needs intestinal cleaning afterwards or else it will not eat the 45LC easily the next time at the range. I have also run some .45 super through both and find that I like the heavy 45LC Ruger Only loads more than the super.

The Redhawk has been reliable and accurate. My hunting buddy has a Redhawk that Hamilton Bowen worked over for him in 45 LC that has the cylinder cut for moonclips as well (if I remember correctly). He LOVES that revolver. I think the 45 ACP is cool through a revolver - but have moved to the LC for the versatility and ease of use.

The LGS here has a S&W model 22 here and it has sat for a while … I have almost bought it a few times … but end up just keeping the Redhawk.

That being said … I know a local guy who had his Super Redhawk Alaskan cut for moonclips and runs 45 ACP in it. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t own one but can say for what it’s worth that my revolver-collecting father’s pre-lock 625 is hands down my favorite gun of his to shoot, and it will not be leaving the family. Doesn’t hurt that as a 1911 fan I’m already wed to .45 ACP.

Friends of mine we’ve taken shooting also universally acclaim it as their favorite, and it’s not exactly being compared to lesser guns. Something about that gun just makes it both very easy and incredibly fun to shoot.

User Tag List