Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fundamentals of the Double Action Revolver

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I think 72 may have had the Colt snubbie on the cover??
    Yup.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I have read the book, several times. Started on the autographed copy a friend had at work then bought my own.

That isn't the only holster from back in the day that had to be broken in or molded before you could use it.
    Very true. Rogers's designs and Safarilaminate were really a cut above when they were introduced. I had a belt slide for a K-frame/Security-Six that was superb.

I think my favorite story from the book was when they fished 5 J-frames from the river by the bridge! But I digress.

I recall guys having to jam guns into holsters to try and get them broke in and then it took two guys to get the gun back out.

IIRC many guys would get a leather holster soaking wet from the outside and would use some sort of bee's wax or similar concoction to coat the inside of the holster, wrap gun in saran wrap to keep the gunk and moisture off and let gun sit overnight in holster, made for smootherfasterbetter quick draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yup.
    thanks. My brain is getting to the point where it mixes and mashes too many memories together and sometimes scrambles them.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Yep. Back in the day, having a good cobbler in town was a blessing. Barring that, Tandy.

I don't miss those days very much,

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have read the book, several times. Started on the autographed copy a friend had at work then bought my own.

That isn't the only holster from back in the day that had to be broken in or molded before you could use it.
    Yup. We're blessed to have much better gear today.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Yup. We're blessed to have much better gear today.
    My new guys have no idea. They think it's a bad day when the MDTs go off line.

Enough! Too much nostalgia. I'm going to go to the closet, dig out my black basketweave Tex Shoemaker rig with the Jordan strap holster for my 4" Python and the double beltkeepers and just weep for days gone by.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

My new guys have no idea. They think it's a bad day when the MDTs go off line.
    Hah. When we first got those, I was in plain clothes and didn't have to mess with them. I nailed a deer one day on my way in to work, and the shift lieutenant who showed up to work the "fleet crash" was an old academy classmate, and pretty much technology-challenged (like me). He was fussing and cussing big-time, trying to follow the necessary procedures, etc., and eventually had to call one of his young bucks over there to handle it for him.

It was worth the extra wait time to watch him stressing out.

The youngster was stressed because I was IA; I told him to relax and get it knocked out before his boss had a heart attack...

The kids were amazed when we told stories of 'the old days'... no portable radios, the wreck report was one sheet of paper, front and back, and if you had to thump somebody not too many questions were asked.

Times have definitely changed...

User Tag List