Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone shoot HK P30 LEM's to a high level?

Sean Burrows use to have a couple videos about discovering and shooting LEM in USPSA and 3 gun. If I remember correctly it was an Elite USP tuned up by someone. Not sure if he’s still using one.

If the only thing holding back the P30 is the trigger I’m surprised the VP9 didn’t become more popular. I owned a VP9 for a short amount of time but decided I wasn’t comfortable carrying it.

I also dumped my last to HKs but changed my mind. I just ordered some parts to tune the light LEMs in a P30 and P30sk. I haven’t been shooting much and I’ve decided that primers and ammo are plentiful enough to start again. Plus learning something new, the LEM, gets me excited about shooting again.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Sean Burrows use to have a couple videos about discovering and shooting LEM in USPSA and 3 gun. If I remember correctly it was an Elite USP tuned up by someone. Not sure if he’s still using one.

If the only thing holding back the P30 is the trigger I’m surprised the VP9 didn’t become more popular. I owned a VP9 for a short amount of time but decided I wasn’t comfortable carrying it.
    I really like the VP9. But it's a fully cocked striker I have no means of blocking when reholstering, so I won't use it.

One of the appeals of the P30 originally was a consistent trigger while allowing you to physically block the hammer while reholstering a loaded pistol. That and the length of the trigger pull offers a significant margin of safety when drawing and reholstering a loaded gun, something Todd was doing thousands of times a year. Something I'm doing thousands of times a year.

That it also happened to be a mechanically accurate pistol with incredible levels of durability and reliability was also really nice. The P30 requires less maintenance than anything else I've ever used. That includes the Glock 17 because the Glock's magazines will eventually start giving you trouble if you run the same five or six magazines in your training. You're also supposed to replace the recoil spring regularly. The P30 was designed so that you didn't need to do any real maintenance until 20,000 rounds. I've never changed the magazine springs in a P30 magazine because they've never hiccupped. Those of us who dryfired a lot found it useful to replace the trigger return spring every 10,000 rounds or so to keep from experiencing a breakage, but apart from that the guns just don't need much in the way of maintenance. Todd's test P30's got some lube squirted on them every now and then and only cleaned when they were sufficiently filthy that they left your hands black when you handled them. And they kept going.

I was much more proactive about maintenance on my Glocks than I was on the P30 because part of the price difference between them...at least back then...was the service interval on stuff like springs.
    3/15/2016

Well, I'll chime in as a data point but to be honest I don't shoot anything at a high level at the moment. I wrecked my shoulder in a fall at work in early 2021 and was on work comp for 18 months, did ten months of PT, etc. At this point I'm getting back but I don't have the range of motion I used to. So take this for what it's worth. But I have a P30 with an LEM that was tuned by Bill Springfield, much much better than a stock v1 LEM. Before my accident I could shoot my tune P30 about as well as I can shoot a Glock 22 (both are .40 cal). The stock v2 LEM is pretty brutal, only a guy like Jerry Miculek that cut his teeth on wheelguns could probably shoot it well. The stock v1 is certainly not a bullseye-type trigger but works pretty well for general shooting. It's hard to imagine LEM guns hanging in there in high level competitions, which of course is not what the trigger was designed for.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post

I also dumped my last to HKs but changed my mind. I just ordered some parts to tune the light LEMs in a P30 and P30sk. I haven’t been shooting much and I’ve decided that primers and ammo are plentiful enough to start again. Plus learning something new, the LEM, gets me excited about shooting again.
    Something to keep in mind is there is a world of difference between the trigger in the USP FS and the P30. The match hybrid LEM trigger in a FS USP is arguably the best hammer fired trigger in an HK pistol. As I recall, Travis Teague at HK did some real magic on USP triggers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Add a manual safety onto it and that is my Holy Grail of a pistol.

Site Supporter
    Meanwhile I'm looking hard at a P2000SK in LEM for uh...well reasons probably. I have a Glock 26 so I really don't need it...but HKs have been growing on me.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Meanwhile I'm looking hard at a P2000SK in LEM for uh...well reasons probably. I have a Glock 26 so I really don't need it...but HKs have been growing on me.

I fell hard for the P2000SK LEM when one showed up in the case at my then local Gander Mountain shortly after they were released. I couldn't afford one then, but did pick up a used one a few years ago. I dug it out of the safe the other day, and it’s still a really appealing gun.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

I have only recently started taking actual training classes and really devoting a lot of thought to this (late bloomer). Been carrying Glocks for a little over a decade now. My Glocks all have SCDs on them.

After joining PF I read some of the older articles/posts on the benefit of the LEM trigger for newbies from a threat management and hazard mitigation standpoint. So I picked up a P30 LEM V1 and a couple JMCK holsters. Now I’m rethinking things. Was planning on snagging a P2000sk LEM as a smaller EDC option. Might need to reread my signature again lol.

Seems like more training and SCD Glocks are really the best answer for me but I won’t lie the P30 just feels like a better engineered pistol than my Glock 19.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Something to keep in mind is there is a world of difference between the trigger in the USP FS and the P30. The match hybrid LEM trigger in a FS USP is arguably the best hammer fired trigger in an HK pistol. As I recall, Travis Teague at HK did some real magic on USP triggers.
    QFT

The reset on a USP LEM trigger is noticeably shorter than the reset on a P30. For those with big enough hands, the USP LEM is the way to go.

I've been carrying and shooting a P30 LEM, with zero modifications except the front sight, since 2010. This LEM thing comes up on P-F about 2 or 3 times a year.

My opinion of the LEM is that people struggle with the trigger pull weight, not the take-up or reset that is always talked about. The lightest LEM setup is about double the weight of the lightest striker or other similar guns on the market.

To be proficient with the LEM, you really have to focus on the trigger press because of the trigger weight, but sub 5-second FAST times are still possible.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List