Thread: Let boys be boys...

Let boys be boys...

The egalitarian method of teaching really annoys me and here's a pretty good article about it's disastrous effects on boys:

But American public schools have shifted classroom learning environments away from competition in favor of cooperation and egalitarianism. Many schools have done away with the distinction of “valedictorian” for fear that such titles hurt those not fortunate (or diligent) enough to claim them. Physical education teachers are urged to refrain from identifying winning and losing teams.
    http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...or-being-boys/
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Something I had not thought about until mentioned my Alexis Artwohl in conversation is that a very, very real problem with the US school system is that almost all of the teachers are women. Women who spend a lot of time trying to get boys to act like girls, no pushing, rough housing, etc. This causes very real issues with how boys develop. I thought the observation profound, especially considering the source.

Yup, I see this all the time when I'm teaching karate. My daughter's arm hurts when she's blocking. My son's feet hurt when he's standing for the whole hour in class *FACEPALM* I love women, but there's a reason why men/women are the best pairing for raising kids. Men to say, "shut up and stand up, it's not that bad." And for women to say, 'Holy crap! Are you serious, that's his forehead covering his eyes not a baseball cap!" Or something like that

One thing that saves me, is that I remind people what I teach at the beginning of every sign up/registration. Yes, people have actually been surprised that we push, grab, punch, kick, etc in a karate class. I even had a mother leave on the first day after I discussed how to stop someone from pushing her son and then I actually proceeded to......teach them

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Yup, I see this all the time when I'm teaching karate. My daughter's arm hurts when she's blocking. My son's feet hurt when he's standing for the whole hour in class *FACEPALM* I love women, but there's a reason why men/women are the best pairing for raising kids. Men to say, "shut up and stand up, it's not that bad." And for women to say, 'Holy crap! Are you serious, that's his forehead covering his eyes not a baseball cap!" Or something like that

One thing that saves me, is that I remind people what I teach at the beginning of every sign up/registration. Yes, people have actually been surprised that we push, grab, punch, kick, etc in a karate class. I even had a mother leave on the first day after I discussed how to stop someone from pushing her son and then I actually proceeded to......teach them
    You haven't seen overprotective until you have seen the mother of a child that has had "mean things" posted about them on Facebook...

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You haven't seen overprotective until you have seen the mother of a child that has had "mean things" posted about them on Facebook...
    Oh, do tell...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Something I had not thought about until mentioned my Alexis Artwohl in conversation is that a very, very real problem with the US school system is that almost all of the teachers are women. Women who spend a lot of time trying to get boys to act like girls, no pushing, rough housing, etc. This causes very real issues with how boys develop. I thought the observation profound, especially considering the source.
    Not quite the same thing, but my daughter's school is part of a volunteer program for dads, uncles, whoever to just spend the day in classes and be a male role model. The reason for it is basically what you describe: lack of male presence in many kids' lives, for reasons varying from deadbeat dads to being deployed overseas. (ostensibly another reason is for added security, since most teachers/faculty are women. Of course I can't carry in a school, which is a whole 'nother subject).
    So I spent a day going from class to class, helping them out with whatever, and it was obvious that a lot of them had never had a man so much as sit down and read a book with them. It was kinda sad, but I have to say I felt like a rock star.

User Tag List