Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Legality of Shipping a Firearm Out of State!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think what Jim is referring to is the recent change in policy by common contract carriers about accepting firearms from private individuals.

There was likely some confusion on the shop's part about whether it was still allowable, and them assuming that it wasn't (which means you would've broken law to get it shipped); most people interpreted the change in policy to mean it's no longer allowed at all, which is reasonable given the...ahem..."fervor" on the right with completely misrepresenting and overblowing anything to do with policies and laws on guns.

So, while the shop was still wrong in fact, this hickup is reasonably foreseeable to me.
    I called when it arrived, and guy #1 said he couldn’t log it into his books, because I didn’t have any proof that I am the person on the DL. Guy #2 said that he needed a shipping label from me, so that he could ship it back directly to me. Guy #3 said he’d have to ship it to an FFL near me, and I had that FFL email a copy of their license. Guy #4 said he couldn’t do anything with it, and he’s the person who told me that he had already called the local police and ATF this morning. That was a lie. He then played games with Stephanie once she got there, but that was resolved quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Frustrating.

ShipMyGun was smooth for me and a hat tip to @TotemPolar for turning me onto it.

But yea some shops are just...brain dead.
    So is USPS. Some of their employees see firearm and they freeze up. Supervisor gets called. They don't know the regs either. I explain it to them with copy from the USPS website. No joy. Fill out this form which appears to be for FFL to FFL transfer. OK. I fill it out without an FFL license # and they ship it. That was a shotgun.

Reminds me of the military. I was honored to have served my country but Jesus, shipping a firearm is painful these days. My motto now is just don't do it. Your grief will outweigh your joy of a transfer.

My personal philosophy is to just keep everything in your possession these days. No matter what it is. State, federal and shipping regs are becoming legalize and not easily understood by hourly workers.

Lots of people are in training these days because everyone is hiring. Nobody wants to work and the few that do need training.

I stood in a checkout line in a local grocery store for 15 minutes this evening. Obviously I chose the checker in training. Once the line grew to 6 persons they had a new checker.

I shop there because they have good prices and fresh produce. I just need to change my hours.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-17-2022 at 09:39 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Only because I live in the state where the shop is, may I ask what shop it was? I have intentions of sending a shotgun to VCS in the near future, and I think I’m just going to use a local FFL to do so.

I will take the stores side for a minute. I now understand from reading the thread that what Frank was doing is 100% legal but I have to admit it is new to me. I have also been in situations involving trying to comprehend what a law or regulation actually means (auto safety inspection, building codes) and find it near impossible in many cases. I would wish that the store had more knowledgeable employees but we are usually stuck w/ what we have. I have also read plenty of stories about ATF and their power over stores. I don't blame the guy for being concerned for his FFI license. Unfortunately I expect this is not going to be an isolated event. I would be looking at a 'meet me in the middle' solution. Each of you drive 2 hrs on Sat AM, have brunch, exchange gun/$, be home for lunch.

FFL to FFL. Every time. Damn the cost.

It's taxing enough dealing with the illiterates on gunbroker as the buyer.

edit: not to imply Frank or Stephanie are illiterate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Only because I live in the state where the shop is, may I ask what shop it was? I have intentions of sending a shotgun to VCS in the near future, and I think I’m just going to use a local FFL to do so.
    I don't know what shop was used but I've used Delta Arsenal in Wallingford before and it was fine, including where a private seller shipped direct. It's been a while but at least they used to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think what Jim is referring to is the recent change in policy by common contract carriers about accepting firearms from private individuals.
    Exactly what I am referring to.
    From the Fedup tariff books today:

Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
    AND
    Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.
    Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

So I don't know how some of you are rooking shipping clerks into sending out your guns, but it is against company policy, even though it is specifically allowed in law and regulation.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

@Jim Watson
    I didn’t rook anyone. The last time I looked, UPS accepted firearms shipped to an FFL, but I will admit that I don’t check their regs on a daily basis. The firearm in question was shipped overnight, and declared a firearm in the shipping label.

The carriers' refusal to do business with Ordinary People is fairly recent but has been discussed widely in the gun boards. Either your shipment was not that recent or you ran into a clerk who did not know his own company's current policy.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The carriers' refusal to do business with Ordinary People is fairly recent but has been discussed widely in the gun boards. Either your shipment was not that recent or you ran into a clerk who did not know his own company's current policy.
    I don’t belong to any other firearms forums, and have never seen the regs discussed here. Thanks for the info.

User Tag List