Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 ACP to suppress?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’m starting to think about a .45 ACP carbine or braced pistol that I can suppress for hog control.

I have a .300 BO pistol, but my logic if it has to be subsonic where expansion/penetration becomes iffy, I’d prefer a big, fat bullet. It would also far easier to reload.

My main requirement is it would have to feed fairly blunt bullets, like a an RNFP cowboy bullet. I think this precludes the AR platform.

Thoughts? Am I swinging for a 500’ fence?

10mm is also an option, but as I said, subsonic, I want the fatest bullet that will feed reliably.
    I have a suppressed 5.5” Kriss Vector.
    Doing one of the outer shell adapters for a Glock 21 could work too.

If you want a longer barrel you could get a MechTech upper for Glock lowers. They say 45ACP back in stock soon.

https://mechtechsys.com/cart#!/Pisto...62/category=0l

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ll be the one to say it. Cult status aside, Thompson’s kind of suck as actual shooters.

Grease gun all the way..

Attachment 93950
    +1

In .45 SMGs, I've shot an M3A1, UMP (nothing special), KRISS Vector (uncontrollable bullet hose), some random blowback AR-15 conversion (rather disappointing), and one or two others. The M3 was by far the most enjoyable. Stupid simple, perfect ROF for controllability, heavy enough to soak up the recoil. It's just too bad their is no closed bolt semi auto version I'm aware of, at least not in production.

I have a USC / UMP 9mm conversion. They have the cool factor for sure. No MP5 but, cool in their own way. Terrible bang for the buck though. You'll be out a minimum of $2.5k, and probably more like $3-3.5k by the time you're done. The Tommybuilt receivers are great quality, and the route I'd recommend going. I believe the Gideon clones are built on Tommybuilt receivers. Biggest problem you'd have is the conversion bolts. HK Parts has several listed, but it's not clear what the difference is with some of them since they're terrible about keeping NLA items listed as out of stock. Michael's Machines also has conversion bolts, which I believe HKP also sells. Finding a bolt that works, feeds, and fires is what will be the most problematic. Also, assembling the lowers is a massive PITA. I wouldn't recommend anyone go the UMP clone route unless they just want it because it's cool. The USC is fine for the price though. Going with some of the other options in this thread will likely save you $1.5-2k.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    It's just too bad their is no closed bolt semi auto version I'm aware of, at least not in production.
    Ian McCollum said that essentially no receivers leaked to civilian market. Several guns are deactivated about museums in Europe. But in the U.S. only small parts were saved, such as dust covers. Vakyrie reproduction that he filmed used 3 original USGI parts: wire stock, magazine latch, and dust cover. I'll add from myself that Valkyrie reproductions were continuously improved so that they pass for M3 better. But even so the are largely built from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you already have the BO, this is probably the easy button for suppressed expansion.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...90-gr-sub-x#!/
    Yeah, you’re probably right.

I was hoping to find a straight-walled pistol alternative for ease of reloading, but looks like there’s no easy options.

Look into Macon Armory’s DI upper. Using his mag block and mags I get excellent reliability with all bullet profiles I tried.
    Mostly Montana Gold JHP and Missouri Bullet Co lead truncated cone bullets, and of course ball ammo. And recoil is very little compared to any blowback system. I have a CMMG Guard 9 and went with this for .45 instead of another CMMG. No regrets.

Rudy assures me it’ll handle .45 Super level loads but I haven’t tried them yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Does a Tommy gun feed modern bullets?

What would be better than hunting piggies with a suppressed Tommy gun?
    Considering that a Thompson weighs 10lbs empty and jtcarm wants to add a suppressor...I would say almost anything.

User Tag List