Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Pistols: Underrated, Underpriced, and Readily Available

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I think the most underrated service pistis the Beretta PX4 line. It begs for a few inexpensive modifications out of the box, but besides that it is really good to go. Soft recoil, reliable, nice rounded grip for concealment, and fairly lightweight. With the current rebate they are cheaper than a new Glock.
    They were still uncharted territory WRT care and feeding when I first started shooting one, but once Ernest Langdon dragged the PX4 - and Beretta to some extent - over the line, the PX4 became what you describe. I still call it the best handgun most people won't even try (I myself was a Berettaphobe for years, and backed into the PX4 quite by accident). The pistol is eminently useable out of the box and gets better with relatively cheap and painless mods, but could use an up-to-date grip retexturing/slight contour change, similar to what Beretta did to the APX Carry compared to the Nano.

IMO, the Beretta 92X RDO also fits the Underrated, Underpriced and Readily Available description. It is one of those rare instances of a fully mature design being thoughtfully updated and made more versatile without ruining what made it worthwhile since the beginning... and not being MSRP'd through the roof in the bargain.

I just sounded like a fanboi, didn't I? Oh, well.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    They were still uncharted territory WRT care and feeding when I first started shooting one, but once Ernest Langdon dragged the PX4 - and Beretta to some extent - over the line, the PX4 became what you describe. I still call it the best handgun most people won't even try (I myself was a Berettaphobe for years, and backed into the PX4 quite by accident). The pistol is eminently useable out of the box and gets better with relatively cheap and painless mods, but could use an up-to-date grip retexturing/slight contour change, similar to what Beretta did to the APX Carry compared to the Nano.

IMO, the Beretta 92X RDO also fits the Underrated, Underpriced and Readily Available description. It is one of those rare instances of a fully mature design being thoughtfully updated and made more versatile without ruining what made it worthwhile since the beginning... and not being MSRP'd through the roof in the bargain.

I just sounded like a fanboi, didn't I? Oh, well.
    Takes a quick look at the 92x Centurion RDO... and both my heart & head tell me "you know you want this one".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter

I know we said “current production” but…

Damn, this P89 shoots great…

Name:  7C4C6DAF-B62E-4449-B339-BFB840675438.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  33.2 KB

First few mags I put through it. I love the trigger—nice crisp snap. The grip and trigger orientation somewhat remind me of a Beretta 92… though the recessed panels make it a touch slimmer, I think. The recoil is slow, soft and satisfyingly “kerchunky”—and the rounds just seem to go right where you want ‘em.

I’d say it is kind of a sleeper. I didn’t expect it to be this nice. And I feel like Ruger P-series are plentiful enough, if one wanted a capable, inexpensive gun… why not?
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Definitely the Beretta APX. I don't like it as much as my G19, but if I'd started with the APX I probably wouldn't like Glocks so much.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    I have a buddy that bought one and like it enough to go buy two more.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

First few mags I put through it. I love the trigger—nice crisp snap. The grip and trigger orientation somewhat remind me of a Beretta 92… though the recessed panels make it a touch slimmer, I think. The recoil is slow, soft and satisfyingly “kerchunky”—and the rounds just seem to go right where you want ‘em.

I’d say it is kind of a sleeper. I didn’t expect it to be this nice. And I feel like Ruger P-series are plentiful enough, if one wanted a capable, inexpensive gun… why not?
    That's the same experience I have with mine-I did a thread here on it awhile back, I'll try to find and link.

Here it is...https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Ruger

Best, Jon

Site Supporter

This is pretty much what comes to mind re: Ruger P series pistols.

Not a pistol S&W 642 no lock. Its the have all the time option.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is pretty much what comes to mind re: Ruger P series pistols.

Haha. I’d cut a MFer too if they tried to haggle me down to $200 for $250 gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That's the same experience I have with mine-I did a thread here on it awhile back, I'll try to find and link.

Here it is...https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Ruger

Best, Jon
    Great write up, Jon. I actually came across this the other day when I was reading up on what I’d got. Haha. Just read through it again.

But I echo uour sentiment of being… taken aback… by how much I liked the gun. I kinda saw it as “blue-collar volkspistol,” like you said. And while I’ve only put a box of ammo through it… it definitely doesn’t feel like a compromise. Really at at all. Well, maybe in terms of size and bulk—but it’s not like a Beretta 92 is doing a whole lot better in that respect. And I think I might like the DA trigger better on the Ruger. Though I still think the 92 is smoother overall, in terms of how it cycles.

Mine has the barrel hood that rides up above the top of the slide. I thought was interesting. And it locks up really tight. It’ll hang up a bit if I ride into battery (so does my Walther P88c). You know what year they made that change? I looked up the serial on mine and the prefix seems to suggest it was made in 1994. But not sure that’s correct.

Site Supporter
    Haha. I’d cut a MFer too if they tried to haggle me down to $200 for $250 gun.
    Everyone worries about Mexican Gang bangers with tattoos on their face but you need to watch out for Hombres Del Rancho

User Tag List