Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: LTT SCD

Feels the same as Tau Dev

Just got mine today for my G22 Gen5, it looks and feels the same as the Tau Dev one on my Gen4 G26 (aside from the Langdon logo). If anything it’s slightly better finished but that could just be wear on the old one.

Anyone figured out for sure what the answer is for Gen 1-4?

What exactly is the difference between Gen 1-4 and Gen 5 SCDs? I've tried putting a Gen 3 SCD in a Gen 5 Glock, and it seemed to fit and function just fine. I bought a couple LTT Gen 5 SCDs and they don't appear to be any different dimensionally from my Tau Dev Gen 1-4 SCDs. But the fact that are two different models for the different generations makes me assume that I'm missing something and there really is a difference between Gen 1-4 and Gen 5 SCDs.

I'm transitioning from Gen 3 Glocks to Gen 5, so if I don't need to sell my Gen 1-4 SCDs and buy new Gen 5's that'd be great.

My understanding is the only difference between the Gen 1-4 SCD and the Gen 5 SCD is the profile of the notch on the right. I’m referring to the two notches at the bottom. The one on the left is rectangular. On the Gen 5, the one on the right is also to pass over the little rectangle of plastic that sticks out from the back of the frame. The right notch on the Gen 1-4 SCD is a different shape. A Gen 5 SCD should be able to work on a Gen 1-4 gun but not the other way around unless you cut the plastic tab off the Gen 5.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Does cutting the tab off the Gen 5 cause any issues?

My CCW Gen 5 G26 and several other Gen 3/4 Glocks have TDG SCDs, but I have two Gen 3 guns that still need SCDs.

While they're "range guns" at present, they could of course become CCW guns if the regular CCW guns were lost or confiscated.

If it were confirmed that the LTT Gen 5 SCDs fit and functioned reliably with Gen 3 guns, I'd gladly use them.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does cutting the tab off the Gen 5 cause any issues?
    I can’t imagine it would. The Gen 1-4 guns didn’t have a tab there, just an empty space.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter

Measurements

I took some measurements of a stock Gen 4 and Gen 5 backplate along with those of a Gen 1-4 SCD (Tau manufacture) and Gen 5 SCD (LTT manufacture) with a digital caliper. Hoping this will help some who are wondering if they can use a Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 1-4 Glock. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics and if my handwriting isn't legible. Let me know if needed and I can type out the measurements or try to get some better pictures.

Name:  IMG_1553.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  34.1 KB

Outside of the obvious difference in the shape of the right side notch, what I'm seeing is that the notch on the left side of both the OEM Gen 4 backplate and on the Tau Dev Gen 1-4 SCD is slightly larger than their Gen 5 counterparts (.01" larger comparing the OEM backplates and .0135" larger comparing the SCDs). Right side notch on the Gen 5 SCD provides plenty of clearance for Gen 1-4 Glock frames.

I installed the Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 4 G19 to test fit and function/compatibility and it does work but is a little tight due to the narrower left side notch on the Gen 5 SCD. It runs into a slight clearance issue on the inside edge of the Gen 4 ejector housing and what appears as a bit of a flange on the rail (this same flange is not present on a Gen 5 ejector housing). A slight push on the gadget will push it past the flange but it will not swing back to the fully closed position freely.

Outside of the stickiness when pushing the SCD forward, function is unaffected in the sample of one that I've tried it on. Speaking only for me, if I had a Gen 1-4 gun and the lack of an SCD was preventing me from carrying it then I'd grab the LTT gadget and slightly file/sand enough material off of the ejector housing flange to make it flush with the remainder of the rail and use the gadget without concern.

One final thing that I've noticed on both of the LTT SCDs that I picked up, the flange that fits into the slot in the backplate is around .005" thicker and the hinged plate is around .003" wider. It isn't much but I've been able to tell that they're a more snug fit than my Gen 1-4 Tau Dev SCDs and exhibit less play during install/removal. Overall awesome products and I'm ecstatic that they're back on the market as I was in the boat of not switching to carrying my Gen 5 until I got a gadget back on it.

Flange on the Gen 4 ejector housing rail that causes slight interference with the Gen 5 SCD
    Name:  IMG_1551.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  24.4 KB

Gen 5 SCD on Gen 4 19
    Name:  IMG_1554.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  27.0 KB
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Thanks @Duckysattva! Those measurements should be helpful to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I can’t imagine it would. The Gen 1-4 guns didn’t have a tab there, just an empty space.

The tab in question interfaces with the FPS during the cycle of operation so that the FPS and firing pin aren't battering each other. The tab allows the FP to remain in a free-floating state during halfway point of the cycle, in the previous Gens this would allow the FP to ping-pong off the FPS thereby battering both. What would happen on high round count Glocks (Gen 1-4) is that this battering *could* allow the FPS to fail if these parts were not replaced when enough wear was present.

If you have a Gen5 simply lock the slide to the rear and you will see that you can freely move the FP, Gen 1-4 you cannot.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

User Tag List