Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syntech 150 Action Pistol for EDC and Home Defense ?

Don't use Syntech for defensive use if you can help it, pick something off Doc's list and don't worry about hearing loss as the difference (especially using indoors and under stress) will be insignificant. Pick one of the 147 grain rounds on the list if you want to run defensive ammo through your suppressor as they will be subsonic. Don't mix Syntech rounds in the mag.

I would also suggest reading more of Doc's postings in the Ammunition section on the topic of terminal ballistics such as this one:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....formance-Facts

It would also be advisable to get some training from a qualified, well respected instructor.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am far from an expert, but: The perceived noise and recoil from 150 Syntech vs a JHP will be near as dangit identical.
    RJ, you keep saying “I’m far from an expert” but then you make statements that are just plain wrong and that is harmful rather than helpful.

If by “JHP” you mean a standard power loaded defense ammunition like Gold Dot or HST, there is a HUGE difference in recoil and pretty significant sound report difference if shooting 124gr compared to gamer 150.

I use a lot of Syntech 150 and have shot over 50,000 rounds of it.

My next most shot ammunition is Lawman (Gold Dot analog) and Federal Training Match (HST analog) and the difference is striking.

Syntech 150 power wise is on the level of 380 ACP.

It feels like it.

If I mixed ammo in a mag and didn’t tell you, you’d be able to tell. Definitely not identical.

Definitely easier to shoot fast and less recoil.

Would it matter in a defense shooting? Who knows. But there is a shoot ability difference that isn’t subtle.

Both will still damage your hearing indoors without protection or a suppressor.

But please, please consider that when you say “I’m not an expert” but then make an erroneous statement it’s harmful to education, knowledge and the people you’re trying to help. Good intentions, but still harmful nonetheless.

Fun anecdote:
    When I shoot Syntech 150 in a PCC I’ve had range officers ask me what kind of suppressor I’m using. I tell them, “I’m not using one, just gamer ammo.” They say “it’s so dang quiet!” It’ll still damage your hearing.

@Clusterfrack in short barrel guns, the 147 +P just stays subsonic so I like that. But I’ve been wussy in the micro guns and opted for the non +P for the easier shootability.

Lest anyone misinterpret the message, I still recommend HST or Gold Dot for defense.

But some people sometimes choose penetration over expansion purposely in some situations and really:

If someone wanted a mild shooter:
    Kahr P380 with Xtreme Penetrator or FMJ

really is kind of what we are talking about here with

P365 and Syntech 150

Suboptimal but can be an acceptable choice in some scenarios.

I haven’t chrono’d XP out of a short barrel 380 but Underwood lists it as 90gr * 1100 fps and 242 ft lbs.

Syntech 150 out of a P365 is 800fps or less (doesn’t make minor power factor) which is only 213 ft lbs.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-10-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Deleted.

Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    RJ, you keep saying “I’m far from an expert” but then you make statements that are just plain wrong and that is harmful rather than helpful.

If by “JHP” you mean a standard power loaded defense ammunition like Gold Dot or HST, there is a HUGE difference in recoil and pretty significant sound report difference if shooting 124gr compared to gamer 150.

I use a lot of Syntech 150 and have shot over 50,000 rounds of it.

My next most shot ammunition is Lawman (Gold Dot analog) and Federal Training Match (HST analog) and the difference is striking.

Syntech 150 power wise is on the level of 380 ACP.

It feels like it.

If I mixed ammo in a mag and didn’t tell you, you’d be able to tell. Definitely not identical.

Definitely easier to shoot fast and less recoil.

Would it matter in a defense shooting? Who knows. But there is a shoot ability difference that isn’t subtle.

Both will still damage your hearing indoors without protection or a suppressor.

But please, please consider that when you say “I’m not an expert” but then make an erroneous statement it’s harmful to education, knowledge and the people you’re trying to help. Good intentions, but still harmful nonetheless.

Fun anecdote:
    When I shoot Syntech 150 in a PCC I’ve had range officers ask me what kind of suppressor I’m using. I tell them, “I’m not using one, just gamer ammo.” They say “it’s so dang quiet!” It’ll still damage your hearing.

@Clusterfrack in short barrel guns, the 147 +P just stays subsonic so I like that. But I’ve been wussy in the micro guns and opted for the non +P for the easier shootability.

Lest anyone misinterpret the message, I still recommend HST or Gold Dot for defense.

But some people sometimes choose penetration over expansion purposely in some situations and really:

If someone wanted a mild shooter:
    Kahr P380 with Xtreme Penetrator or FMJ

really is kind of what we are talking about here with

P365 and Syntech 150

Suboptimal but can be an acceptable choice in some scenarios.

I haven’t chrono’d XP out of a short barrel 380 but Underwood lists it as 90gr * 1100 fps and 242 ft lbs.

Syntech 150 out of a P365 is 800fps or less (doesn’t make minor power factor) which is only 213 ft lbs.
    If he’s not an expert and admits so, you shouldn’t be castigating him. We are all on the same side here, no reason not to have a more friendly tone.

Carry on.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If he’s not an expert and admits so, you shouldn’t be castigating him. We are all on the same side here, no reason not to have a more friendly tone.

Carry on.
    Sounds good. Will try.

He means well and wants to try and help. His heart is in the right place.

IMO there are levels of “non-expert” from 5 being an expert, 3 being some casual knowledge and 1 being just pulling things out of the butt.

I think that PF has a pretty high signal to noise ratio and that maybe people in the 1-2 level of non-expert maybe should get a little more knowledge before diluting the ratio. Or ask questions rather than make declarations that aren’t correct.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

Carry on.
    The Dude abides. Yes^2.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My main concern is would the Syntech stay together to penetrate deeply enough? That's the biggest factor to consider, expansion is a distant second really. Not having a copper jacket may mean the round does not handle hard materials well and disintegrates fairly easily.

First, welcome to the forum.

My thoughts in no particular order.

As previously stated, pick a load off Doc's list.

Shooting a suppressed handgun inside, is on my list of things never to do again. I would rather shoot outside without ear pro, than shoot indoors suppressed.

Adding a suppressor to your home defense pistol can create some challenges. Depending on your storage requirements, either state mandated, or family motivated (kids, unauthorized adults). Most handgun safes won't accommodate an attached suppressor. That may leave you attaching a can when you need the gun, or should be calling 911.

Adding a can increases length, and makes a disarm easier. Depending on hand strength, shooting with the additional weight can be a chore, especially if the other hand is busy, (opening a door, moving a loved one, controlling a pet, holding a phone).

Having a set of active ear pro instead, will not only increase your situational awareness, but negate the can.

I take the approach that if I need my gun, inside my home, I want it known to the whole neighborhood (this doesn't apply to me), and any accomplices, that things have gone poorly for the uninvited.

Suppressors are fun, and enjoyable, but may not be the best solution for home defense. What you do, won't affect me, just offering another perspective.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

If you are looking for a softer recoiling 9mm, and want one that's proven for SD, then try the Barnes 115.

It's on the list, is quite mild in recoil, and runs in everything I've tried it in.( I've found a few guns which don't like the 147 GD or HST)

User Tag List