Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to Carry CZ SP-01: Condition 1 or 2?

Site Supporter
    Most CZ TDA guns can have the hammer lowered by the "thumb roll" technique. Competition shooters have been using that for a while IIRC

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Install one of these, and treat it like a Hipower.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I shoot and carry several different CZ pistols, with a few different requirement for safe management.

I shoot a SA/DA CZ Shadowline Compact (no FP block) in IDPA CCP division. I leave it cocked with the thumb safety applied for CCP competition and when I use it for EDC.

I shoot a couple of SA/DA CZ Shadow SP01 pistols and one CZ Shadowline Tac II pistol (no FP block) in IDPA . . . . sometimes in SSP division which requires that the pistol hammer be manually lowered to the FULLY down position prior to begin the course of fire. I manually lower the hammer to the fully down position after loading to be in compliance with IDPA rules for the SSP division.

Those same SA/DA CZ Shadow SP01 pistols and that Shadowline Tac II pistol (no FP block) are sometimes shot in ESP division, which allow the shooter to start with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety applied. I start with the pistol cocked and the thumb safety applied prior to beginning the course of fire, which is allowed for the ESP division.

I shoot a couple of SA/DA CZ Shadow SP01 pistols (no FB block) which have been converted to SA only and have optics mounted on them in Carry Optics division in IDPA competition. I carry them with the hammer cocked and thumb safety applied.

Additionally:

I occasionally compete with 1911 pistols and also occasionally use them for EDC. I carry them in Condition 1 for both competition (IDPA ESP division) and for EDC.

I occasionally compete with Glock pistols and and occasionally use them for EDC. I carry them the same way for both competition (IDPA ESP, SSP, or CCP division, depending on the pistol) and for EDC.

That's a fairly significant different set of administrative actions required to safely carry and use the above described pistols, and, depending on the specific task at hand, those actions contain variables depending on how you intend to use (and for what purpose) that pistol on that day.

I do not consider myself an expert pistol shooter. But I am intensely aware that if I forget which pistol I am using and for what purpose, the consequences could potentially be horrifying

My recommendation would be to determine which carry condition for your CZ best fits your personal needs and your current skill and confidence level. A CZ with no FP block and/or no decocker can be safely managed, but it cannot be carelessly managed safely. And if you do decide to carry it with the hammer down, I recommend the half cock position, despite the IDPA rules (unless you are shooting it in an IDPA match!)

YMMV

User Tag List