Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Randy Cain's Practical Rifle

LOL that's my FFL going there today to pick up my 6920 hopefully.

And they have a Savage hog gun in stock.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Anybody want to give a tutorial on the Ching Sling? I am interested.

Thanks,
    Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Anybody want to give a tutorial on the Ching Sling? I am interested.

Thanks,
    Cookie Monster
    http://artoftherifle.blogspot.com/20...ing-sling.html
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    GJM, JHC, et al. -- Thanks for the levergun answers. A couple of years ago I saw a 16" Marlin 1894SBL at SHOT and I intended to get one as soon as they were available, unfortunately that model never made it into production and is no longer listed in the Marlin catalog.

However, a very generous friend recently (yesterday) gave me a Marlin 1894! It appears to have been made in 1976 and has a 20" barrel that I'd like to get cut down to ~16" someday.
    Merry Christmas!!! Do you plan to put optics on it? Must it be 16" for storage? You might like it at 20" as it's still handy as heck. I find the decreasing sight radius under 18" to bite me pretty hard on shooting irons past 50 yards. YMMV.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For me, it depends on the aperture size. Brockman makes threaded inserts so you can tune size, and I shoot better groups at 100 with my 16 inch 45-70, using a medium sized aperture, than using my scout scope.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On second thought, on the DBM issue, I love the little, thin single stack five round magazines for the small CZ .223/7.62x39/6.5 Grendel, as they easily go in a pocket or even on the butt of the rifle. I used such a CZ in 7.62x39 in part of a Randy Cain PR class, and it was almost like cheating compared to the guys with traditional rigs.

We called that carbine "Scoutski," and it was an amazing little rig. Buddy has it now in a NE state, where it is his legal car gun.

I'm loving that CZ. I plan to shoot one soon, turns out I've got a couple of acquaintances that have them.
    Aside from the potential DBM issues, another possible downside was made clear when I went through a Gander Mountain this weekend: not a single round of 7.62x39 available, but there was plenty of 308, 30-30,etc. Nothing that couldn't be overcome by keeping a stash of ammo for times like this, but definitely a factor.

I have always had my eye on those CZ carbines. One of those with an aimpoint micro would be slick.

Any details on the mount and sights on that rifle?

Only question is which caliber should I get?

I've owned several of the CZ 527 carbines. They are solid rifles. One issue I do have with them is the design and angle of the bolt handle. When you mount conventional scopes low(as they should be) the bolt handle tends to rub. The good news is modifying the handle is not that hard for anyone with basic metalworking skills. Just make sure you keep the handle cool while you remove the metal.

Randy Cain's Practical Rifle is coming to Pittsburgh PA in June 2013

See www.fireinstitute.org for details

and let me know if you have questions.

Tony Muhlenkamp
    tmuhlenkamp@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I respect Randy deeply, and have taken several pistol courses from him over the years but this just sounds like an absurd excuse to train with a bolt gun.
    The excuse being that bolts and levers will be the last thing to be "outlawed".

I haven't seen this fellow Shawn L. posting any time recently. One wonders if he's still here, and wonders more if he still thinks preparing for the total ban on semi-autos in general, and EBRs in particular, as The HildeBeast's coronation approaches, is still absurd.

It might BE absurd; I certainly hope so. But I just bought a bolt gun and quality scope- the first of either I've owned in almost 30 years- in case it happens. I need one of these classes, too; but no way I can arrange one in time. The rest of this year is booked up with family stuff I simply must attend/deal with.

User Tag List