Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Current state of vision correction

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Honestly it didn't strike me to get a 2nd opinion because they were opting to NOT take my money when they could have.
    Might be worth it, I don't claim to have any knowledge in the arena other than my own experience. I went from 20/800 to 20/15 in one eye, 20/20 in the other. I'm still 20/20 and 20/25 as it still degrades with age as normal. I have no problems focusing on a front sight, reading, driving, etc. with no glasses. Maybe it's just because I was only near sighted, no major astigmatism or anything. The only reason I brought it up is it was such a game changer for me that I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. From the routine of not having to put on glasses when you wake up to the more seldom swimming or wearing a gas mask to the vanity of being able to buy and wear any sunglasses I want to the economic of not buying new glasses/contacts every few years...it's all win.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I want lasik, I’m just not sure it’s a good idea for me and I don’t trust people.

I actually had scheduled the surgery a few years ago, went to the facility for the “pre op”, sat in the parking lot stressing out about it and decided if I was that anxious I should bail so I did.

I find very, very few people that don’t have at least some sort of side effects. From dry eyes, to halos, to other night vision problems. Since I’m nearsighted with one astigmatism and am now into progressives and they all seem to be recommending various weird hacks like doing one thing to one eye and another to the other... it just freaks me out too much.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I want lasik, I’m just not sure it’s a good idea for me and I don’t trust people.

I actually had scheduled the surgery a few years ago, went to the facility for the “pre op”, sat in the parking lot stressing out about it and decided if I was that anxious I should bail so I did.

I find very, very few people that don’t have at least some sort of side effects. From dry eyes, to halos, to other night vision problems. Since I’m nearsighted with one astigmatism and am now into progressives and they all seem to be recommending various weird hacks like doing one thing to one eye and another to the other... it just freaks me out too much.
    If you're scared of Lasik then you'll either wear glasses or wait until you have cataracts, probably hating wearing glasses and wondering "what if" or you wouldn't be asking this. If you're scared of having the "mismatch" done and letting your brain compensate, which it does anyway because your eyes aren't exactly the same and because the brain is constantly knitting a single picture together from what both eyes see, then maybe you could talk them into doing it so you only need reading glasses. If you're still too scared, wait until you have cataracts. Once you have cataracts you'll be getting a new lens implanted anyway since they don't clean the natural one any more. Might as well get a multi-focal lens implanted. At least for my dad it's the same cost either way when he gets his done (which should have been this year, but you know, 2020).

The smaller the laser, the less likely you'll have halos. You can Google why if you're interested, but the simple version is it resurfaces more of the back of the eye then light can reach, where RK and big laser can let light slop over into uncorrected areas, creating the halo.

Oh, and if you're really that scared, they can give you some calm-down pills if that helps you.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Following on the PRK train, I had mine done about 9 years ago and am still extremely pleased with the outcome. The recovery is longer and rougher than lasik. PRK leaves you with better eye integrity as others have referenced.

I do have mild dry eyes even years later. It’s only noticeable in the morning and I keep eye drops next to the bed so it’s a non issue and worth try trade off. Drops are not required, but nice to have.

The only reason to get LASIK over PRK is if you can’t manage the downtime. LASIK is easier post op the doctors as well which is why it’s pushed more than PRK in my opinion.

So I put off PRK for years because of fear. I had all kinds of irrational fears. During surgery, you look at a dot, and I was afraid that I'd look at the dot wrong. A little to the left or right, or I'd not be able to see it well enough, or lord only knows what. I can assure you, once your there on the table, it's not an issue at all. It's minutes at best, and with PRK, you'll get surgery on a Friday and be back damn near normal on Sunday.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to get in there is fine, just go do it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Following.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    IMHO
    What I have come to believe re vision correction:

1. Dialing in a vision correction is probably 80% science/20% art. I have been told that you can "test" a .25 diopter off (i.e. -2.00 v 2.25) on any given day with any given testgiver with any given identical machine. The right Dr/Tech is critical in getting where you want to go.

2. YOU are the biggest variable because YOU are the one say which adjustment is clearer etc.

3. The best overall correction may not be the best correction for a particular task/activity

4. a 24 hr trial for any mono correction be it in contacts or glasses is simply not enough time to accurately determine whether it will ultimately work and to what extent. Period. Full Stop.

5. Do not cheap out in ANY way in this process if your ultimately decide surgery. If I lived in FLA, all thing being equal, I would want to ID the Drs who are doing all the Golfers/Tennis pros down there as my go to Dr.

Site Supporter

Yet another PRK tale

I was fortunate enough to get PRK in 2002, at the time, at one of the military treatment facilities that was doing more PRK than most in the DoD. I was also lucky that whereas many had an 8-9 month wait, as an 11-series I was bumped to the front of the line and had my surgery within a month.

I experienced quite a few of the after effects others have highlighted; dry eyes, star-bursts, etc. The dry eye was particularly bad one night after BJJ where I was extremely dehydrated. When I woke up in the morning my eyelid was sticking to my eyeball, I forced my eye open and effectively caused a number of micro-tears to my conjunctiva (the clear, thin membrane that covers part of the front surface of the eye.) Right back to the eye-doctor. No significant damage and I left with what was essentially Vaseline to put in my eyes when I sleep. Did that for about 4 months and then things were back to normal.

Vision correction was awesome! I went from about 20/70 to 20/10 for the next 12 years. But, as with most, over time it degraded and with age (now 47) I now have presbyopia as well with only 20/20 vision.

another effect that I have is really only experienced at movie theaters, where the screen exceeds the breadth of my vision. With fast moving "action" scenes, I have a hard time rapidly focusing on the picture. Never noticed during normal daily routine regardless of light levels.

All in all, I haven't had any eye issues. Numerous static-line jumps, all the trips to the sand-box (including this one) and eye health has been peachy.

If I had to do it all over again, I would. After years of daily contracts, extended wear contacts, glasses, not being able to see what the hell my wrestling coach was trying to tell me on the side of the mat in high school, it was all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    So I put off PRK for years because of fear. I had all kinds of irrational fears. During surgery, you look at a dot, and I was afraid that I'd look at the dot wrong. A little to the left or right, or I'd not be able to see it well enough, or lord only knows what. I can assure you, once your there on the table, it's not an issue at all. It's minutes at best, and with PRK, you'll get surgery on a Friday and be back damn near normal on Sunday.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to get in there is fine, just go do it.
    PRK only corrects for nearsightedness, no? No astigmatism correction and no presbyopia correction?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

PRK can treat it all, but I'm not certain how it handles multiple issues.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List