Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock & AIWB

Where on earth are you guys getting the Gadgets from? If I had one of those, I'd be down at the store picking out a Glock right now.

Assuming someone can reassure me the Gen 4 problems have been ironed out, anyway.

Absolutely. I've read it several times, and it's one of the reasons I'm somewhat ambivalent about AIWB with a striker-fired lacking a manual safety. Of course, I was somewhat ambivalent about AIWB with a pistol I could ride the hammer on, too. Takes a while to get used to wandering around with pistol pointed at your ghoulies.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gadget, Gadget, Gadget!
    Wrong. I have appendix carried a Glock for two decades. It is not about gadgets, holsters, guns, etc. It is very simple. If you aren't totally switched on every minute, you have no business carrying this way, or you are at great risk. If you speed holster, have poor safety practices, or other issues, there is very little room for error. Gadget's and hammer guns will provide some extra room for you to screw up, but you still need to be on your game at all times with this method of carry, and many aren't.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Wrong. I have appendix carried a Glock for two decades. It is not about gadgets, holsters, guns, etc. It is very simple. If you aren't totally switched on every minute, you have no business carrying this way, or you are at great risk. If you speed holster, have poor safety practices, or other issues, there is very little room for error. Gadget's and hammer guns will provide some extra room for you to screw up, but you still need to be on your game at all times with this method of carry, and many aren't.
    I respectfully disagree. Appendix carry obviously depends upon the proper mindset and technique, but assuming you are using proper technique, a Gadget or hammer still provides a second layer of protection in case, despite best practices, a bit of clothing or something else gets in the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    So, I guess you're not interested in being a tester.
    I am.

I realize that's it's shameless but worth a try, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    One word; "Pass."

Best,Jon
    I have zero professional authority in business of carrying firearms. I have appreciable professional experience with holes in common femoral, superficial femoral and deep femoral arteries.

Without Gadget, this is my position too. On a positive side, I am getting there with LEM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Appendix carry obviously depends upon the proper mindset and technique, but assuming you are using proper technique, a Gadget or hammer still provides a second layer of protection in case, despite best practices, a bit of clothing or something else gets in the trigger guard.
    Now you are on the money. I am not for or against a "Gadget", but I am against the idea that getting a Gadget is all of a sudden the miracle device that a piece of hardware will make appendix carry safe for everyone. It won't. It will provide an additional level of protection in case of an intrusion into the trigger guard. This is not the biggest issue with appendix carry, it is "a" issue. Simply put, appendix carry is fairly unforgiving of screwing up. This is like those running skimmer triggers in their Glocks vs. a LEM or Da/SA gun. That skimmer does not allow for much screw up for those who like to get on that trigger early to pick up some speed. You can dick up all of them, but the others will give you a little more leeway. For me, my favorite appendix carry pistols (in order of being comfortable with) are the HK P7 (tough due to the need for very well done holsters), HK DA/SA guns, the LEM variants of the HK's, and then the Glock. All require being very switched on, but the Glock really requires being aware of the issues with its trigger and striker design.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    If you aren't a little freaked out by having a loaded gun pointed at your femoral artery as well as your jewels, then appendix may NOT be the best carry method for you.
    As a paratrooper, we were told that the time you no longer are freaked out by exiting a high performance aircraft is the time you should take a break from jump status and visit leg land. I never stopped getting freaked out - I just focused more on the follow on mission then the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    In recent months, all my AIWB Glock carry has been with a RCS VG2 and swiveling the VG2 out of the pants to snap the gun back in it with the muzzle downrange seems to IMO create a greater safety margin than any hammer, technique or gadget for reholstering any pistol directly into a conventional holster in the front of my pants.
    This is my world right now. I carry my Glock 19 in a VG2, and there is no fidgeting around the mommy/daddy button. This doesn't work great for a longer training session, but it's my piece of mind. When my Keepers shows up, I'll make sure that all my poo is in one sock EVERY TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones
    So, I guess you're not interested in being a tester.
    I'll gladly fill a spot if necessary...

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am not for or against a "Gadget", but I am against the idea that getting a Gadget is all of a sudden the miracle device that a piece of hardware will make appendix carry safe for everyone. It won't. It will provide an additional level of protection in case of an intrusion into the trigger guard.
    This.

User Tag List