Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Optic Ready Slimline models with rail

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Slight thread drift:
    Do we have good documentation on what works well in the G48/43x/43?
    Closest I could find is this discussion on the P365/43 (which might cover the 43X):

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=glock

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Slight thread drift:
    Do we have good documentation on what works well in the G48/43x/43?
    The 'slimline' Glocks are very popular at the agency I recently retired from, and among firearms instructors we put a crapton of 124+P Gold Dot through them with no issues, including testing the 43X as a potential issue gun for detectives, etc.

No problems with 124+P with one exception, and I was the only one who experienced this: I bought a G48 from the first shipment that arrived at our PD range shop, and all three mags had a bizarre habit of failing to feed the last round in the magazine -- only the last round -- which would go nose up into the chamber hood. The feed lips of these three mags measured slightly wider than the other mags we had on hand, and I theorized that in the rush to get these out the door, some of the mags weren't quite right. Our Glock rep replaced my mags, I added 30+ more mags to my stash, and all of them have been 100% through several thousand rounds of 124+P in three different guns (two 43X and the original 48).

These guns continue to be fed mostly 124+P or 124 NATO ball, and work without drama. Now, I'm a large, knuckle-dragging ape and very experienced Glock shooter; the combination might not be ideal for those sensitive to recoil.

Glock 43X/48 Optic Ready Slimline models with rail

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Spring was GTG on my problematic G48, but I haven't shot it since glock sent it back to me a 2nd time. I'll take it to the range soon and see how it performs.
    Any update? I may have a solution. I recently jumped into the 48 game and have been truing to resolve the weak returning to battery issue on my pistols (sample of 3, my new carry gun my wife’s new carry gun, and a spare). All 3, if you point them up, will not return to battery with the trigger pinned to the rear when slide is released slowly. This isn’t necessarily a problem. This is a clue. The pistol is going into battery more via inertia and not constant spring power. The pistols run, but they’re very much on the razors edge of function.

The power of the RSA is not enough to overcome the mass of the slide AND the striker. This is made worse with an optic. There are two options for more positive feeding. A stronger RSA or a lighter striker spring.

I’ve long been a believer in the 5# striker spring for a variety of reasons. In this case, it pulled through again and was just enough to allow a more positive feeding (non MOS). Remember if you go this route to change the striker spring more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Any update? I may have a solution. I recently jumped into the 48 game and have been truing to resolve the weak returning to battery issue on my pistols (sample of 3, my new carry gun my wife’s new carry gun, and a spare). All 3, if you point them up, will not return to battery with the trigger pinned to the rear when slide is released slowly. This isn’t necessarily a problem. This is a clue. The pistol is going into battery more via inertia and not constant spring power. The pistols run, but they’re very much on the razors edge of function.

The power of the RSA is not enough to overcome the mass of the slide AND the striker. This is made worse with an optic. There are two options for more positive feeding. A stronger RSA or a lighter striker spring.

I’ve long been a believer in the 5# striker spring for a variety of reasons. In this case, it pulled through again and was just enough to allow a more positive feeding (non MOS). Remember if you go this route to change the striker spring more frequently.

Interesting. I wonder, have any other folks besides you and @Nephrology been seeing this FTRB?

My sample of one, black non-MOS G48, S/N BPZnxxx, purchased 9/15/20, reliably returns to battery when held vertically with the trigger pinned to the rear and the slide released slowly. I have a scant 120 rounds through it. I use SLIP 2000 EWL, and only mods are an SCD and a Ameriglo 0.180" front sight, with a stock RSA and striker spring (I assume the stock striker spring is a 5.5#?.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Interesting. I wonder, have any other folks besides you and @Nephrology been seeing this FTRB?

My sample of one, black non-MOS G48, S/N BPZnxxx, purchased 9/15/20, reliably returns to battery when held vertically with the trigger pinned to the rear and the slide released slowly. I have a scant 120 rounds through it. I use SLIP 2000 EWL, and only mods are an SCD and a Ameriglo 0.180" front sight, with a stock RSA and striker spring (I assume the stock striker spring is a 5.5#?.
    Once in battery, with the trigger held to the rear, pull it slightly out if battery and try again. Like I mentioned, this isn’t a function check of the pistol, just an illustration of the weak spring at the end of its travel. My 3 examples all experience this and did before any changing for sights or addition of an SCD. Also using Slip2000 EWL. For the record, the two I’ve fired have all functioned okayish for the little I’ve shot them, 100 rounds each. One, the spare, did have an odd FTFeed of Federal 147 HST that appeared to be a magazine issue. My wife hasn’t gotten around to shooting hers yet.

S/N ranges: BLVP, BPZW, BPZH

Once in battery, with the trigger held to the rear, pull it slightly out if battery and try again. Like I mentioned, this isn’t a function check of the pistol, just an illustration of the weak spring at the end of its travel. My 3 examples all experience this and did before any changing for sights or addition of an SCD. Also using Slip2000 EWL. For the record, the two I’ve fired have all functioned okayish for the little I’ve shot them, 100 rounds each. One, the spare, did have an odd FTFeed of Federal 147 HST that appeared to be a magazine issue. My wife hasn’t gotten around to shooting hers yet.

S/N ranges: BLVP, BPZW, BPZH
    Hmmm. The slide works almost perfectly on mine. Just spent 10 minutes attempting to get it to "stick", somewhere near the end of the return to battery. I found that if I held the slide just right, about 2-3 mm before fully returned, what happens is that as the barrel hood finally snaps up and locks, is where there is a slight hang up. Out of maybe 50 attempts, I was able to make it 'hang' right there. But as soon as I moved the gun slightly, the barrel popped up and it went finally all the way. Maybe its related to barrel to slide fitment, and some are tighter than others? I dunno. I do agree that the G48 in particular, using the G43/G43X RSA, on a longer slide and barrel with more mass, might be a bit on the iffy side for Glock. Certainly things would not get better if the gun was caked with carbon, or ammo was on the weak side, or a user did not grip tightly, etc. etc. I may not see that, given I (and I'm sure you do as well) use good quality ammo, clean the gun adequately, and don't limp wrist the grip.

Interesting discussion tho.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

My 48 suffers this occasional but has been decreasing with use. I have reseated the ejector spring onto the plunger, but haven’t been able to get to the range since. It passes the test reliably, but now I’m tempted to unseat the spring to see if it’s different.

It sure seems like the 48 would benefit from a slightly heavier RSA...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Any update?

Not yet- been busy. Hoping to hit the range next week, will be sure to bring both 48s.

Looking for a 43X MOS. Anyone know where they’re in-stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Looking for a 43X MOS. Anyone know where they’re in-stock?
    Me too, and $200/1,000 9mm ammo.

Is there a sense the 43X might be more reliable than the 48, as the RSA was designed around that slide length and mass?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List