Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Another reminder to get a dashcam!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Since someone mentioned SD cards, and any other storage device. Don't forget to check them once in a while and replace as needed. About 60% of the time someone gives us a USB/SD from their security system, it's corrupted or otherwise unusable.
    Don't get SanDisk.
    They are horrible in dashcams.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    My son mentioned that some cams can upload to the cloud so you can see footage if, say, your car is stolen. Everything I know about these dashcams I learned here today, so is the cloud thing worth considering?
    Note: I don't do anything illegal, but don't want everything that I do in my car uploaded to the cloud. I also don't want an app. I like the idea of an sd card myself. Does that make me weird? Probably, but I take my personal information seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Don't get SanDisk.
    They are horrible in dashcams.
    I've never had an issue with Class 10 Sandisk cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFG7T8F/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've never had an issue with Class 10 Sandisk cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFG7T8F/
    Maybe you are lucky.
    I have tested over 100 dashcams and the only brand cards that had failure (files unreadable, sometimes broken, sometimes just missing the whole drive etc...) was SanDisk.
    I tried multiple versions of SanDisk.
    They work great in my cell phones but not in dashcams.

I have a very, very dumb question. Once dashcam is mounted, you either need to run a cord to a power source like lighter or 12V, or have it hardwired? There are no cordless options?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I have a very, very dumb question. Once dashcam is mounted, you either need to run a cord to a power source like lighter or 12V, or have it hardwired? There are no cordless options?
    No, there are no cordless purpose-built dashcams that I know of. I suppose you could get a Go-Pro or something, but 1) it wouldn't power on and start recording when the car started, so you'd have to remember to do that 2) you'd have to remember to charge the batteries 3) it wouldn't automatically delete the oldest files, so you'd have to do that manually. Just get an actual dashcam. Hardwiring isn't that difficult.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In the ongoing dashcam thread somebody linked a doo-dad that plugs in to a powered rear view mirror that will feed a dash cam. I just route it to a lighter plug that's hot only when the car is running. Do not run it to one that's always hot unless you want a dead battery.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    In the ongoing dashcam thread somebody linked a doo-dad that plugs in to a powered rear view mirror that will feed a dash cam. I just route it to a lighter plug that's hot only when the car is running. Do not run it to one that's always hot unless you want a dead battery.
    Thats probably good advice in general considering why most have dash cams, but I wanted mine to continue to record when i was stopped, such as when shopping etc and overnight at motels when on the road. I modified my power plug to be on full time, and just need to remember to unplug it when I know Ill not be driving for a couple days. Mine has been OK for up to 2-3 days, but after 3 days, it can kill the battery. Im not sure of the exact time, often when at home at the cabin, it can be a week or more between times I drive.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Not sure if this is a good dashcam but it is $65 + tax from amazon. AUKEY 1080P Dual Dash Cams with 2.7” Screen, Full HD Front and Rear Camera, 6-Lane 170° Wide-Angle Lens, G-sensor, and Dual-Port Car Charger. Low risk for returns so I bought one and will think more later. There is a $25 off coupon you can clip and promo code XA2OM5BU for another $60 off. If neither work, try again tomorrow since they appeared to stop working yesterday afternoon for me and I thought I'd missed the sale.

@Mystery - seems you have a lot of experience with dash cams. Thoughts on this particular model, and also what SD cards would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Thats probably good advice in general considering why most have dash cams, but I wanted mine to continue to record when i was stopped, such as when shopping etc and overnight at motels when on the road. I modified my power plug to be on full time, and just need to remember to unplug it when I know Ill not be driving for a couple days. Mine has been OK for up to 2-3 days, but after 3 days, it can kill the battery. Im not sure of the exact time, often when at home at the cabin, it can be a week or more between times I drive.
    You could probably use one of those battery packs that have been discussed in other threads to power the dash cam unit and keep the battery pack plugged into a keyed power source so it can charge from the alternator wile driving and not have to worry about it killing your main battery. Another option would be to hard wire a marine battery in the same manner but it wouldn't be as pretty.

I would like to figure out a way to get the dashcam's low light camera to play on my car's navigation/backup camera screen at night. That or a FLIR might be nice to help get an early warning for deer, drunk pedestrians, mostly peaceful protesters, etc.

User Tag List