Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G19 Extended Mag Release

Site Supporter
    I like my Vickers mag release on my glock. No problems ejecting mags when they don't need to be.

I don't mid the flip by and large, I do prefer the Magpul technique (where I first saw it) where, during a speed reload, you use support hand fingers hooked around the trigger guard/frame, put the strong hand thumb on the mag release, and rotate the gun in your grip so the mag release moves into your thumb. I like the control and security it gives, keeping both mits on the gun as long as possible while moving it around in your grip.

When I was issued a M&P9 I ran it for 2 years with mag release swapped over to the other side of the gun so I could operate it with my trigger finger. I really liked the idea, because you can't leave your finger on the bang switch while trying to operate the mag catch. The timer told the truth, though. With my long fingers the trigger finger actually slowed my reloads down.

pat

I'm currently running my Gen 3 Glock G17 and G19 with extended Glock magazine releases. They do make the magazine release process easier, but there are trade-offs that you need to be aware of to make an informed choice.

1. Mine are the Glock polymer extended releases, with no modifications. Yes, the corners can be a bit sharp, but in actual use that's not caused any drama in and of itself. They're polymer, so physically it would be easy to round them by filing, etc. but that could adversely impact on your ability to campaign your gun in IDPA, etc., depending upon the specific sport or divisional rules if tha's a consideration. Similarly, sport and/or divisional rules can impact on the ability to swap the OEM component for an aftermarket one (such as the Vickers, etc.).

2. Going with the extended magazine release can constrain your holster options; basically, you don't want a holster whose walls (either inherently or from outside forces-i.e., body pressure agains the holster) will place pressure on the release and can inadvertantly release the magazine. A good general rule of thumb is to be very wary of using any holster whose wall goes over the magazine release (instead of having a cut-out or simply no holster material around the release area)-thoroughly experiment with and verify before using any such holster whose wall goes over or intrudes into the magazine release area with a pistol with an extended magazine release.

3. If the pistol is placed on its side on the side where the magazine release is activated from, placing downward pressure on the pistol (such as when you're hastily grabbing it) can activate the magazine release-this can constrain nightstand use and similar. For my nightstand use of the extended release equipped pistols, I prop the pistol up at an angle using a small electronic transformer box as the prop-the gun's slide is propped up on the box, the receiver is on the nightstand top; this keeps the release in the air away from physical contact with the nightstand top, and also actually makes the pistol easier to hastily grasp in an emergency.

Generally, probably a better solution is the so-called Glock "FBI" intermediate release; I have on on my Gen4 G22. However, the genuine Glock component for Gen 3 and earlier Glocks if relatively hard to obtain, so the Glock full extended one, or one of the aftermarket ones may be the most viable and obtainable solutions, at least in the short run. Reportedly the Glock "FBI" release is very, very similar to the Vickers extended release...I understand there's a bit of a story behind that...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-19-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I was throwing a lot of info at her, and forgot to find out what generation it was. She will be back in town Sunday, so I’ll find out then. The only two things that I remember, was it had the removable back straps, and I don’t think it had finger grooves.

UPDATE: it’s a G5. Based on what I saw, and some Google-Fu, I confirmed it.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 06-19-2020 at 11:29 AM.

A G19Gen5 uses the same mag catches as a G19Gen4 (i.e., the G26gen5, G17gen5, G19gen5, G19X, G45, G34gen5, G17gen4, G19gen4, G26gen4, plus the .40S&W & .357SIG gen4 versions, use the same mag catch).

I don't know what all is on the market, but I'd stay away from any aftermarket mag catches for that gun which are made of metal, instead of polymer, to avoid any possibility of excess magazine wear.

I'm using Glock's alternative mag catch #8794. This mag catch is listed as "extended" but I found the difference from the regular catch minor.
    Even though minor, it may just be enough to make for easier mag changes.

Apparently, this extended mag catch was specified for the FBI's G17M and G19M guns, just for info.

Another possibility to consider is to reverse the mag catch for the shooter to use the right trigger-finger to depress the mag catch. This would be a major change for the shooter in function and will require a good amount of practice and re-familiarization, depending on the shooter. Again, this is just a possibility and may be too confusing for some shooters if they're so used to already using their right thumb &/or shooting other pistols with mag catches which can only be pressed in from the left side (using one's right thumb).

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    A G19Gen5 uses the same mag catches as a G19Gen4 (i.e., the G26gen5, G17gen5, G19gen5, G19X, G45, G34gen5, G17gen4, G19gen4, G26gen4, plus the .40S&W & .357SIG gen4 versions, use the same mag catch).

I don't know what all is on the market, but I'd stay away from any aftermarket mag catches for that gun which are made of metal, instead of polymer, to avoid any possibility of excess magazine wear.

I'm using Glock's alternative mag catch #8794. This mag catch is listed as "extended" but I found the difference from the regular catch minor.
    Even though minor, it may just be enough to make for easier mag changes.

Apparently, this extended mag catch was specified for the FBI's G17M and G19M guns, just for info.

Another possibility to consider is to reverse the mag catch for the shooter to use the right trigger-finger to depress the mag catch. This would be a major change for the shooter in function and will require a good amount of practice and re-familiarization, depending on the shooter. Again, this is just a possibility and may be too confusing for some shooters if they're so used to already using their right thumb &/or shooting other pistols with mag catches which can only be pressed in from the left side (using one's right thumb).
    Thanks for the tips. A generous PF member has offered to send me an extra Vickers extended button. She is not a regular shooter, so switching it to the right side is something I will suggest, and see what she thinks, and go from there. As an HK shooter, and appreciating the ambidextrous paddle mag release, i Tend to use my trigger finger For the mag button, so it should not be an issue for her, with such little shooting experience.

We have such great people here! Thanks so much for the replies, I learn something every time I’m here!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    We have such great people here!
    Yes, yes we do.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm currently running my Gen 3 Glock G17 and G19 with extended Glock magazine releases. They do make the magazine release process easier, but there are trade-offs that you need to be aware of to make an informed choice.

1. Mine are the Glock polymer extended releases, with no modifications. Yes, the corners can be a bit sharp, but in actual use that's not caused any drama in and of itself. They're polymer, so physically it would be easy to round them by filing, etc. but that could adversely impact on your ability to campaign your gun in IDPA, etc., depending upon the specific sport or divisional rules if tha's a consideration. Similarly, sport and/or divisional rules can impact on the ability to swap the OEM component for an aftermarket one (such as the Vickers, etc.).

2. Going with the extended magazine release can constrain your holster options; basically, you don't want a holster whose walls (either inherently or from outside forces-i.e., body pressure agains the holster) will place pressure on the release and can inadvertantly release the magazine. A good general rule of thumb is to be very wary of using any holster whose wall goes over the magazine release (instead of having a cut-out or simply no holster material around the release area)-thoroughly experiment with and verify before using any such holster whose wall goes over or intrudes into the magazine release area with a pistol with an extended magazine release.

3. If the pistol is placed on its side on the side where the magazine release is activated from, placing downward pressure on the pistol (such as when you're hastily grabbing it) can activate the magazine release-this can constrain nightstand use and similar. For my nightstand use of the extended release equipped pistols, I prop the pistol up at an angle using a small electronic transformer box as the prop-the gun's slide is propped up on the box, the receiver is on the nightstand top; this keeps the release in the air away from physical contact with the nightstand top, and also actually makes the pistol easier to hastily grasp in an emergency.

Generally, probably a better solution is the so-called Glock "FBI" intermediate release; I have on on my Gen4 G22. However, the genuine Glock component for Gen 3 and earlier Glocks if relatively hard to obtain, so the Glock full extended one, or one of the aftermarket ones may be the most viable and obtainable solutions, at least in the short run. Reportedly the Glock "FBI" release is very, very similar to the Vickers extended release...I understand there's a bit of a story behind that...

Best, Jon

Thanks for typing all of that! As I’ve been offered a Vickers extended button, does it pose any issues with standard G19 holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Thanks for typing all of that! As I’ve been offered a Vickers extended button, does it pose any issues with standard G19 holsters?
    Prolly just have to test it out. It will depend on how the holster is cut and/or molded around the mag release area.

IIRC, the 8794 is .015" oversize. Not sure what the Vickers adds, but I will be very surprised if it causes unintentional release.

Side note. The 8794 is also the stock mag release on the G19x.

Site Supporter
    I also swap my mag releases out for the 8794 on Gen5 guns. On Gen3 and earlier I prefer the Vickers release as it falls between the factory extended and the stock part. I have pretty large hands so while I don’t need the extended release, I have found I prefer a slight extension just for additional insurance.
    Polite Professional

User Tag List