Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HiTS Shotgun Add-On Class AAR - June 16, 2013

I remember the discussion nyeti is referring to. That was one of the things I particularly enjoyed about this class. While not trying to make anybody feel their age, there were probably 200 years of practical shotgun experience on that range, counting the instructors and students. Imagine having a panel discussion, debating the positives and negatives of each approach, with plenty of data points to share.

And the only thing that got treated in a hostile manner was the targets. Responses were along the line of "We tried that with x number of officers for y years, and found these results."

One thing I forgot to mention in my AAR, is the fact that one of the instructors (Wayne) is left handed, and ran a Mossberg 590. Given their abundance in the marketplace, and that a fair number of people shoot left-handed, that's a neat value-add for the trainees.

And it's a lot of fun watching Wayne shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mluikey View Post
    Great AAR, Nyeti, any plans to offer this class next year?
    Yes. We are trying to figure out how to run it, but it will probably be the same format-1 Day advanced first responder with 1 day of shotgun.

We also want to do the "revolver only" class and just need to decide on how to do it. I am leaning towards something I did years ago where we have four instructors each teach a four hour block over two days. It gives the student a ton of insight from different people in a compressed time frame. At this point, it will probably be Wayne on basic techniques, tpd223 doing the 5 shots, I will probably do revolver specific manipulations and handling techniques, and one additional SME.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yes. We are trying to figure out how to run it, but it will probably be the same format-1 Day advanced first responder with 1 day of shotgun.

We also want to do the "revolver only" class and just need to decide on how to do it. I am leaning towards something I did years ago where we have four instructors each teach a four hour block over two days. It gives the student a ton of insight from different people in a compressed time frame. At this point, it will probably be Wayne on basic techniques, tpd223 doing the 5 shots, I will probably do revolver specific manipulations and handling techniques, and one additional SME.
    Excellent, Look forward to training with you guys again.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The other favorite was the LAPD D Platoon (SWAT) Shotgun Qualification Course. We did this last drill of the day, with a 90 percent score to pass, and 100 percent of all projectiles were to be on the target. This course of fire has 6 phases, using a total of two slugs and eleven 00 Buck 9-pellet loads.
    Any possibility somebody can post the whole qualification course of fire? I would like to try it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Any possibility somebody can post the whole qualification course of fire? I would like to try it. Thanks
    I can, if Wayne and Darryl approve. I'm the noob here, and to not wish to step on any toes.

Can we get this qual?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Can we get this qual?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....+qualification

per nyeti, it was originally shot on a B27. I use flight control buck, and shoot it on an IDPA target to keep all pellets in the -0

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....+qualification

per nyeti, it was originally shot on a B27. I use flight control buck, and shoot it on an IDPA target to keep all pellets in the -0
    awesome ty!

User Tag List